[MOD] Hairstylist - a barber in town!

Any new hairlstyles planned? I read that someone extracted hairstyles from the game and added it to their character. It was one style that wasn’t included in yourpack :face_with_monocle:

Hello! Well no additions were planned, but as mentioned before, when i was making the mod, i was trying to include all NPC hairstyles i found in game files, if u managed to find NPC whichs hair isnt included in mod, please point me to the specific NPC :slight_smile:

I’ve installed the Mod on the steam file

But nothing appears in-game .

I’m having the same problem as @Vendura. The mod is in the correct folder and has the right folder structure, but nothing shows up in the game.

Other Mods I’m using:
GrimInternals
GD Item Assistant
Item Color Filter

Same problem here.

Perhaps try this instead since the hairstylist is part of this mod.

Not sure it works with 1.1.4.2, but was updated to 1.1.4.1

So I realized why I wasn’t seeing it in game, I didn’t realize you had to play the game under the custom game selection. I’m used to mods in games being under the base game. lol. Opps. So it works, it’s just unfortunate that I would have to start over completely to use it. Oh well.

You should be able to copy your character files to custom game.

That does not really work, unless you use a tool to set the mod-flag in the char.

It works if you use local saves and copy the save files to the user folder, but your shared stash will be reset. It’s quite obvious that GD wasn’t made to be modded, since you can only play with one mod at a time. That kinda sucks.

Not seeing the correlation here - one does not equal nor relate to the other. The game is moddable, to the point in which you even have basically the same tools Crate used to make the game. Hence, it is moddable. Using 1 mod at a time has nothing to do with such a thing.

If someone ever writes a tool that can handle mod merging automatically - then cool. Or maybe Crate will pull it off for us one day. A big maybe since as far as I know Rhis might be the only programmer actively working on GD, which kinda limits the kinds of things he’ll be putting his attention to at any given time. The game is still very moddable with or without.

And I would add that Grimarillion is a compilation of 4-5 different mods. So that’s the answer - make a mod compilng the mods you want to use, job done.

No, it doesn’t. As the savefile in the user dir does not have the mod-flag set (since you copied over an unmodded char), your progress is saved to the main char while the user-char is not being updated.
On the other hand the char from the user dir is loaded when you play a mod, essentially ensuring that you make no progress…

You either need to use symbolic links, or set the flag in the save file.

yes, because it too contains mod related information. If you adjust that accordingly, nothing is reset.

it is quite obvious that GD was meant to be modded, or we would not have modding tools or the option to load mods… that you can only use one mod at a time is a precaution to avoid having conflicting mods loaded at the same time.

Games that do not have that precaution leave the responsibility to identify and resolve such issues to the users (rather than the authors of merge-mods) - who generally have no idea how to identify or resolve them in the first place… so I am not sure this is a better approach

It’s moddable, with strict limitations since you need to create a custom game for most mods to work. It feels more like a third party hack than something that was intended by the devs. When you can add graphical content to the main game, give me a call.

You have no idea what you are talking about, sorry. Yes, you need a mod to add anything and should not add to the main game, that does not mean the game is not (or barely) moddable. This is a design decision, the game fully supports modding.

I admit I don’t know a thing about modding in GD. How do you set the flag in the save file and how do you adjust your stash to keep it from resetting?

You need a char / stash editor to do so. I believe Defiler can set the char’s mod-flag. I know that GD Stash can do both.

But I don’t want all of the stuff that people include in mod packs. If I want to pick and choose it’s not possible. That’s why I’m dissapointed with crate’s mod decision. I’m perfectly capable of discovering and resolving mod conflicts. For example, I could have had both hairstyles and wings, but no, not possble, and I need to start from scratch to have some visual effects. Not worth it.

There is no way for you to identify (all) conflicts without looking at the mod sources.
So if you are capable of identifying and resolving conflicts, then you are also capable of creating your own custom mod that includes the mod-components you want and then use that.

What you need to do to identify and fix conflicts is identical to what you would need to do to merge the two mods… The one difference is that if you determined that there are no conflicts between the two mods, you could simply use both and not need to combine them into a new one, but that part is easy compared to the others (identify and fix)

Making my own mods for GD seems a little far off for me at this point, but maybe you can help me with something else. I got a modpack that I want to use but it comes with a speedhack that I don’t like. The author told me I could edit gdx2.arz to remove the stuff I didn’t want, but there are a lot of different editors in the game folder, and I couldn’t find any info on it on the web(A lot of old threads have been deleted). Do you know which program to use and is there a tutorial that doesn’t go into too much detail? Or maybe it’s self-explanatory once you get into it.

After all, editing existing content is a lot easier than making your own mods, and this is all the modding my game requires.