[Mod] Nydiamar

Can’t wait! This campaign is amazing! Wish GD Vanilla would take some of your dungeon designs and world ideas!

As always, fantastic work.

Terrific works! I’ve play this mod for the first time and I was blown away! It’s like I’m playing a new game. I never like the soulless world of the original game. You’ve filled up the soul that I found was missing in the original grim dawn. I love your music choice and wish you will replace all the music of the original game which is still used in some places.

keep up the good work, i am loving this mod as well after coming back from the disastrous Torchlight 3.

Edit: Moved post info to Update 11 post.

1 Like

Update 11

Sedaah Ruins (Night)

New Mechanic — Gotta Catch 'Em All!

You can find so called Soul Vessels while exploring the world. They come in three rarities.

An Anomaly lets you open them. Doing so a random creature (from all possible creatures) will be rolled. You won’t roll a single creature but instead packs, for example several groups of skeletons. This pack could be named Skeletons II, which consists of Skeletons and Skeletons (Massive Army).

The roman number behind a pack indicates its rarity and strength. There are currently the rarities I to III. Each rarity has a chance to be rolled — I has a 50% chance, II a 35% chance, III a 15% chance. The packs are grouped into these rarities. For example to roll Skeletons III, you first need to roll the rarity of III and then the pack.

It is possible to roll a creature multiple times, but you won’t gain anything from duplicates. The rarity of a Soul Vessel determines how often a re-roll happens until you might get a new creature.

Currently a common Soul Vessel has 1 roll, a rare one 3, and a legendary one 15.

Acquiring Bosses
Bosses work differently. To acquire a boss, you need to destroy a Capture Apparatus. Destroying it gives you 60 seconds to finish the boss off.

The normal Capture Apparatus has a capture chance below 100%. Killing the boss …

• … in less than 4 seconds gives you a 95% chance.
  • … between 4 and 12 seconds gives you a 70% chance.
  • … between 12 and 20 seconds gives you a 50% chance.
  • … between 20 and 60 seconds gives you a 25% chance.

The powerful Capture Apparatus has a capture chance of 100% for 60 seconds.

You can not capture a Nemesis.

Additionally

• A Bestiary lets you look up what creatures can currently be caught.
  • You can capture 20 bosses normally, and unlock additional 7 bosses through the reward system of the Arena of Sedaah.
  • Some bosses might summon hostile creatures, since I have not yet changed their skill. If you encounter one I have missed, let me know.

Arena of Sedaah

Fight a Hostile Encounter (HE) inside an arena by summoning in your acquired creatures (Friendly Encounter (FE)). You can only watch the fight from above.

You can visit this area through a portal in Edge of Eternity. Area is called Sedaah Ruins. You first need to reach Level 30 to unlock it.

Summoning
You can only summon one HE, but they can spawn in waves. All HE are categorized into different tiers. The higher the tier, the harder the HE. To unlock the next tier of HE, you first need to beat one of the marked HE (the Champions) from the previous tier (this means that not all HE can unlock a new tier).

You can summon multiple FE, but not at once. You pick the first FE, then the second, the third and so on. The next FE spawns after the previous one dies.

As long as one encounter (HE or FE) is active the mechanic will be disabled. To get rid of the current encounters you can call in the Nemesis, which will slaughter them all. This will lock the arena for the current game session should the HE still be alive!

Currency of Sedaah (Summoning Fee)
HE requires a set amount of Currency of Sedaah (SC). The currency can be acquired by opening differently sized bundles, which can be found while playing the mod (they are included in the components mastertable).

The more difficult the HE, the more SC it costs to summon it. Each FE you pick for the fight also comes with a cost, although it works differently here. Choosing a FE adds to a counter which limit equals the amount of SC used for the HE.

For example the HE costs you 50 SC. Now you can pick (overall) FE worth up to 50 SC.

Rewards
Iron Bars (IB) are calculated through the difference of the SC cost and the amount you have used for your FE (lets call them FE points). A multiplicator will be applied to the won IB depending on how many FE points you have not used in relation to the SC cost. For example using only 50% FE points gives you 200% IB. You can only receive up to 40 IB. This currency will be rewarded after winning the fight and can be exchanged for several rewards, e.g. 55 IB might get you a Loot-Sphere (Valuable).

On top of this, each tier you fight in yields you an additional %bonus and a flat bonus of IBTier 2 has a bonus of 20% + 5; Tier 3 of 50% + 15; Tier 4 of 75% + 40; Tier 5 of 100% + 150. This bonus does not has a cap.

Additionally

• I tried to balance all values, but they are still far from being perfect. I will further balance them based on feedback. Though I think some of the fun from playing games comes from finding exploits or the best strats.
  • A mutator is in place to speed up the fights. Side effects of this can occur.
  • You can get into the arena to pick up all the loot, but won’t be able to use the mechanic again until you restart your game session, which prevents you from placing any traps or totems for the next encounter.
  • Getting into the arena comes with a cost of 10 000 Iron Bits, so there is a certain risk / reward in accumulating loot.
  • You can buy a FE Points Boost (25% or 75%) for one match. It does not affect won IB and lasts until you have won a match.
  • You need to enable (FE) bosses by buying an activation first (same as the boost above). It also lasts only one match, even if you lose. Reasoning of this is that it is impossible to balance 27 bosses.

Outside the Arena of Sedaah

You can also summon acquired creatures outside the arena. To do so you need to bind a creature to a Binding Stone, which you can get as a possible reward from the mechanic described above.

You can bind creatures through the Anomaly. Only one creature can be bound (active) at a time. All Binding Stones will have the same bound creature.

To use a Binding Stone, you need to destroy it. The bound creature will then spawn next to the player. You can also use multiple Binding Stones right after each other, but that would be stupid. Unfortunately, the creature(s) won’t follow you around, but stay in place instead.

There is a 100% chance to lose the soul currently attached to the stone — Think twice about summoning a boss.

Additionally

• You can only acquire a Binding Stone through the reward system of the Arena of Sedaah.
  • You can bind most creatures, but not all. You can bind all of the 27 bosses.

An Example

All of this might be a bit confusing, so here is an example how the Arena of Sedaah could be played:

You challenge Alkamos, Lord Executioner as the HE — Requires 400 SC.
You choose your FE in this order …

• Skeletons I >> Skeletons — Adds 3 FE points.
  • Aether Corruptions I >> Zombies (Burning) — Adds 15 FE points.
  • Bosses >> Bolvar, the Bloodbinder — Adds 135 FE points.
  • Skeletons II >> Skeletons (Ranged) — Adds 20 FE points.
  • Statues III >> Statues — Adds 100 FE points.
  • Worms III >> Worms (Aetherial) — Adds 25 FE points.
  • Thorned Horrors II >> Thorned Horrors — Adds 20 FE points.
    Going over the limit of FE points prevents you from choosing the FE.

You have overall used 318 FE points.
You initiate the fight.
Now you either …

• … lose the fight — Call in the Nemesis (a random one) to clear the arena and try again.
  • … win the fight (doubtful) — 103 IB > 40 IB (due to cap) > 70 IB (due to Tier 4 %bonus) > 110 IB (due to Tier 4 flat bonus) > Receive 110 IB.

Underground Fortress

Changes to Existing Content

• Added a bridge right after the Abandoned House — This opens up the first area a bit (skips the whole Cruesle Canyon), which I think improves it by a lot, even tho it is a small change
  • Reduced the cost of unlocking the teleporter leading to the Underground Fortress (Extension) from 750 000 Iron Bits to 150 000
  • Increased the cost of all Uniques of Legendary Quality from 200% to 400% (from an average of 300 000 Iron Bits to 500 000)
  • Increased Level-Offset by 1 on Elite and Ultimate of Rogue-Like Dungeons
  • A few other minor changes

Some bugs are expected.

Read the Update 10 Patch Notes if you have not yet. The update is still quite recent.

While the interest in this new feature was non-existing, I still think that this is a great addition to the mod. The balance needs some tuning tho, so feedback on it is appreciated.

Enjoy. ~

– Update can be played with characters created in Update 8 (preferably Update 10) –

Follow the instructions from the Opening Post!

5 Likes

Hello Van_Houk .
See you added some more fun stuff , right now i am looking at the changes and i do not understand to much :sweat_smile:

Had a long break and it is to much to soon , but great job man, and also in the future i hope more maps can be merged in the vanilla so you can add fulll Nydiamar in the main campaign.

Respect

Hey!

It’s a lot simpler than it seems like, but I wanted to cover everything in the post, so it might look more complicated than it actually is.

Would be great if I could! I might get back to it eventually and experiment a bit more with it, maybe I can find another way to merge it, who knows.

also in the future i hope more maps can be merged in the vanilla so you can add fulll Nydiamar in the main campaign.

For the record, this is also exactly what I’m really hopeful for. I played through some of Nydiamar a while back and I found the world to be far more interesting than the standard Grim Dawn universe. However, I couldn’t bring myself to do another full play through with only the baseline classes.

So Nydiamar + Grimarillion or Dawn of Masteries in an ultimate combined version, as I find the base Grim Dawn classes to be stale after having restarted so many times, would basically be the ARPG dream for me.

If Nydiamar’s worldspace was somehow locked behind Ultimate or something, it would even give an extremely good incentive to play through the first two difficulties (If the player wasn’t automatically unlocking them).

I have re-uploaded the latest download since I forgot to include Grim UI, sorry bout that. I have also updated the source.

I checked out the source of Dawn of Masteries (without permission) to see if too much is conflicting, and looks like it’s not — only problem I currently see is the limited space in the skill table (of consumables)! If I got the time, permission and actual source I might do a merged version. I still need to look into Grimarillion, tho.

As for the merged campaigns, that does not seem to be possible, even with some help from the developers. Very unfortunate, since I got some cool ideas about how to intervene them.

What I could do is something like a map room leading directly to most of the dungeons in Nydiamar. You would need to switch to it through the main menu, similar to the Crucible DLC. The portals in the map room can be unlocked by discovering their secrets in the actual world of Cairn, for example find a hidden cave in act 3 to unlock the Strange Well, or a bedroll laying on a bloody rune to unlock the Nightmare. That’s what I want to go for next.

1 Like

how many consumables do you have ? There is room for about 60, so far I only used the first consumables skill tree

since DoM is a merged mod I do not feel like I am in the position to give permission, you would need to get that from the authors of the original mods. Most will probably give that gladly, the only one that might be a bit harder could be the cosmetics from Path of Grim Dawn.

As far as sources go, they are overrated :wink: Not everything even has sources, so you will need to insert some textures and meshes into the end product anyway.
I started out like that too, trying to use as many sources as possible / feasible and am right now going into the opposite direction since if I have to insert some anyway (which is unavoidable), I might as well insert a lot and save myself the hassle of dealing with sources.

1 Like

You are using a modified template for the skill tree. I did not even know this was possible. I was even more confused when I tried using the template, since you need to have it inside the base directory, which is a bit weird. I think with the standard template you only have 11 free slots overall. Now I feel a bit silly since I have scrapped a few great ideas because of the limited space …

I need to play around a bit with the compilation to see if everything is working fine, and then I will check out each mod you have included. I will get back to you if I got any questions!

1 Like

the skill tree is the only one I am aware of where this is possible. Some mods used it to add more skills to masteries and I figured if that works, it should work for consumables too :wink:

you can implement those ideas now…

Hey,I started to play your mod,but I have some questions in my head,which I can’t figure,even I searched a lot for them.
1.Is there any discord server for your mod?
2.What should be the route to play your mod decently,for example first having an 100 level character in vanilla then playing your mod with that,or fresh new one?
3.I don’t know if it is the game or mod,when my cursor is on some crates or boxes,it doesn’t show me like sparkle effect around those destroyable objects,there are on some chests or rocks but not for boxes.
4.Why is this Strange Well all gray,I can’t even see the ground.
All of the mods in Grim Dawn looks kind of problematic,which changes or adds some content to the game.I am not sure,if i still want to mod the game or not.

Since you cannot legitimately take over a vanilla char into a mod, starting a new one in the mod sounds like the likely intent to me.

Not sure what you consider problematic changes, but obviously mods change or add things, that is the whole point.

All of the mods have tones of issues,that Grimarillion mod for example have tones of empty classes,animation of the skills are purely made,they don’t have any quality of life things in their mods.Ofcourse they are not obliged to put quality of life things,however they are not small mods,they have huge community.I don’t know if it because of the Grim Dawn’s community or game itself,I am not a little bit satisfied with mods of this game.I don’t want to be offensive to those mod creators,just my humble opinion.

Not sure what you mean by tons of empty classes, they have a similar number of skills to vanilla. Do you mean (lack of) item support ?

Also not sure what QoL you want over what the base game provides (and doubt there is much a mod can add in that regard).

Not just lack of item support,but also they are like copy pasting same spells and changing their damage types,some of them are not even working the way they should work,devotion tree is not well implemented for those classes,instead of adding that many classes add 2 3 first,I know they are packs and It will look like unfinished but they are already unfinished,also everything in their mod pages are so mixed,you can’t find what you are looking for.

There are many things can be added to the game as a QoL,I don’t know how that modding works tho.
like map selector for doing random generated maps with some already made modifiers(%50 more elemental damage for player,%25 more damage taken) for farming lower tier items and changing SR loot higher tier.Search bar like in devotion tree on inventory for filtering.Maybe better skill animations or some fine retex

Some of this can’t be done in a mod, like the inventory search or random maps. Overall I think you are just asking for too much and have no comprehension of what is doable or the effort involved.

1 Like
  1. I never made a discord server for it (unfortunately).
  2. You really should play a fresh level 1 character! The progression of factions and devotion are a bit different, and a fully leveled character would have no need to do the content for it. As you already know, you could also use the head-start option to start out with level 15 to skip a bit of the grind.
  3. I needed to change them since some areas have hundreds of crates or urns on screen at once. I think it got weird with highlighting on. I have also some secrets hidden by breakables, which would be quite obvious with highlighting on. To break them just attack in place (hold shift) or use the Urn Destroyer found in the Tomb. As for normal chests, I have removed the lighting/sparks to hide them a bit better.
  4. I assume you only mean one room in the Strange Well, called Haze. That’s the theme of the room, that everything is foggy!

I’m still actively working on this mod. If you think something is problematic, then let me know. Feedback is always appreciated.

As far as QoL features goes, I also can’t think of much that the base game does not already offer. Just keep in mind that modding takes an enormous amount of work and time, and especially new campaigns and classes require lots of effort.