[Mod] Nydiamar

bamboozled in Strange Well, maybe it was the update. I couldn’t get anything to work in there.

haze and the elements paths worked fine.

I quickly tested it and it worked fine for me with the latest update.

It’s a puzzle! And here’s the solution.

You need to lure the creature called Immortal Bastard onto the rune. See attachment #1. The note you find in the room is supposed to be a hint about how to solve it.

The creature will always beeline the first position it saw you in, till it gets to the wall. Then it beelines the next position it saw you in. And so on. Get him to walk over the rune. Attachment #2 to see how to do it. If it touches the rune, it dies, and the gate in the middle opens up.

Enter the middle. The gate closes and traps you in there. Kill all enemies that spawn in the middle. Pay attention to the archers outside, maybe break line of side to avoid getting shot. You do not need to kill them.

When all enemies are dead, the quest should update. Now interact with the lever on the stairs. That will open up the entrance you came from. Pick up the relic.

By the way, the glow-y thing you occasionally see is not supposed to be seen (the one on the right in the attachments), which I will fix in the next update.

How about a progression update? Keeps me motivated. So here we go.

The next update brings a new challenge dungeon to Nydiamar. The new hidden ‘dungeon’ will be the largest in size so far and will offer several new mechanics. Some reward is guaranteed at the end, but you can drastically increase the reward by completing optional objectives scattered around the whole area. For example, one objective might be completing the area while having several gruesome curses applied to you. Rewards are tiered, and each tier offers an unique reward(-type) besides a normal one.

Right now I’m working on a new way to gain Devotion Points. This will include six separate new areas, each one with an unique ‘twist’. The main hub which connects all these areas can be seen below.

You unlock these areas by finding the associated shrine(sphere) inside the world. You may get some clues about where these spheres are located, as well as the typical shrine symbol shown on your mini map. Basically, the shrines will still work the same as the main game, but now you need to access a different area first after finding them to claim these precious Devotion Points.

The following area shown is the one you unlock by finding the shrine(sphere) inside the upcoming new dungeon. (This environment took me exactly 6,5 hours. If someone is interested, I might post some progression screens about how I created it.)

Revisiting current content

• Level range of enemies for each difficulty.
  • An option to skip Normal or Elite altogether, which locks the lower difficulties permanently for a character you have used such option on. This option is not available till the player beats the current difficulty. Afterwards, the player may use the now unlocked option for each new character, so a difficulty only needs to be beaten once. For example, beating Elite once grants you an optional way to skip Normal and Elite altogether with each newly created character.
  • There are currently some issues with line of sight in the first area. Making the path inside the forest more visible and removing/lowering the huge rock formation of the canyon should fix this.

[li]Another issue is getting easily lost. I plan improving this by adding a side-quest with an unique short story to each ‘Challenge Dungeon’ (for example the Strange Well or the Hawton Mine). The World Map should represent the location of each side-area, with some drawn art or eventually just text. This pretty much confirms at least 5 new side-quests for the next update when we exclude Odul Aela’s Dungeon (where I can’t think of a fitting quest).[/li]To have some guidance throughout the world, I will add a main-quest, telling you where to go and what to do. For example, ‘Acquire a key to unlock the door leading to the Lower Mine Area’. So, overall, I want the world to be no longer loosely connected, but actually immersive.

• Factions will receive a makeover, the first (minor) part will be included in the next update, the second part, which will add a new whole area dedicated to factions and an arena, comes afterwards. You won’t be able to maximize reputation immediately, but actually need to grind it first. But don’t be afraid, the grind won’t take long.
  • How about putting some shrines into the world which grant you skill and attribute points (overall the same amount as the main campaign), instead of doing quests to get them? These won’t be locked behind a new area, so if you find them, you can instantly cleanse them.
  • Eventually, I may add a new small area right in front of the portal leading to the actual world (the rift right at the start in Edge of Eternity). Right now, leaving the hub with a level 1 character is quite frustrating, since the first enemies you encounter are hard. The area will be short and a great way to level up a few levels before venturing inside the actual world. The environment may be something like a dream sequence, filled with mindless zombies.
  • Automatically picking up all components.

I did not finish any of these things, tho. Gonna take some time.

Thank you for your hard work, man.

The work in here is exceptional, makes my eyes drool.
Which one i have to download to see all the content?(found it, scratch that)
What is the difference with the campaign and non campaign folder?

The non campaign folder called Nydiamar is my mod. The campaign folder is the main campaign (the actual campaign of Grim Dawn).

The thing is, if you want to play the normal Grim Dawn campaign after playing my mod, you gonna need to port your character to a non-modded state (using certain tools). So with the campaign folder, you don’t need to do that, since you can load it from the custom games menu. The other thing is, if you switch to a different mod (for example Reign of Terror), you will lose all the items that are unique to the last mod, since they do not exist in the new one. I added all my items to the campaign folder (that’s all it contains), so you can switch freely between my mod and the actual main campaign without losing any items.

Next update, (if you want) you can play my mod through Normal and Elite (which will only take a few hours) with a new character, and then switch to the Grim Dawn campaign and continue playing on Ultimate there. You won’t miss anything like Devotion Points.

SOME INFO ABOUT THE UPCOMING UPDATE (Since the post is now on the other page)

Not sure if I’ve missed something, but how do I start/access the mod’s content? Or is that something I’m supposed to work out for myself during the playthrough? I’ve installed the mod and selected the custom campaign (on normal, veteran, from level 1). Having read the thread though, you mentioned options (starting at level 1, 15 or 80 I think), and a load of patch notes detailing new areas/npcs, but I can’t find any info on how to get to this.

Edit: Also potential bugs to report:

• When I level up and put points into skilltrees, I will sometimes be unable to attack (using default attack or primal strike) until I open the character window and weapon swap twice).
  • It looks like alt+tabbing out of the game causes the game to think you’re permanently holding the alt key, which means you can’t use abilities, interact with things, etc. Pressing alt again fixes this. Never had this issue with the base game.

You chose the actual campaign of Grim Dawn and not my mod in the main menu. My comment above yours explains why there are two entries. Just choose the entry where the mod is named ‘Nydiamar - maptest.wrl’ or something like this.

Right after creating a new character and logging in, the location you spawn the first time in should be the one inside the spoiler tag.

That’s weird, since I not really changed anything in the actual campaign, except adding some new items. :confused: I will later play around a bit with my updated mod version to see if I get these problems too (which, by the way, might release this month).

Thanks - I literally just came back to edit my post - I chose the custom campaign, not the main GD campaign, but I chose the incorrect option from the 2 custom mods. I’ve got it working now, thanks.

Is it still possible to transfer a modded character to the main game? I’ve copied the character folder over from user to main and edited it with the tool (unchecked “in mod” and removed modded items) but the character doesn’t show up in the list of playable characters for the normal campaign.

Edit: Sorted it. Disabled cloud saves in-game, then copied over the contents of the “save” folder (the one in the steam subdirectories) over to the grim dawn folder (C:/user/my docs…etc…grim dawn) and it works now.

You probably know this, but you can literally walk right across the cliffs at the tree of eden into undesigned territory.

Thanks! Did not know of it. Was really hard to spot in the Editor tho, since you actually need to walk through the cliff.

Fixed for next update (took me 5 seconds).

Ignore this, post incoming. Thanks.

Release date: removing any evidenceJanuary is it now

(Is actually anyone reading this?)

Change of plans.

I will combine the next two planned updates into one large update, instead of my initial plan to release Update 8 before the release of Forgotten Gods. There’s not much point in releasing an update a week before the expansion drops, only to play-test everything again after the release. Well, and I currently don’t have time to work on it.

Besides that, I already did most of the scripting for Update 9. I currently aim to release the update roughly 2-4 months after the expansion drops (so May-July), depending on how long it takes me to play through it (full campaign & Forgotten Gods). In the worst case, I might cut some things. - well, that did not work out too well …

What follows are the current planned changes and additions. I will update the colors occasionally and eventually add or remove some things as I progress working on it, instead of doing separate posts as I did for the last few updates. It’s mostly a checklist for myself to keep track of things.

Current (Colored!) Changelog

Green / Fully done; Yellow / Almost done; Orange / Started on; Red / Planned

— Currently playtesting — (■■)

6 (+1) New Locations - Devotion

Devotion Hub, where you access all the following dungeons (■■■■)

• A Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type area (with currently over 3000 words) (■■■■)
  • A Strange Well inspired area, with Haze and Elements being the main mechanics (■■■■)
  • Spikes are everywhere! - Run through them, don’t stop (■■■■)
  • Illusions, and many of them! - Find the actual shrines (■■■■)
  • Clear the full area of any creatures to cleanse the shrine in the middle - Be prepared for a difficult final encounter (■■■■)
  • Fight inside a large arena multiple waves of enemies. Each wave spawns after a certain amount of time, so you may get overwhelmed (■■■■)

New Location - Sanctuary

This is a new hidden challenge dungeon with currently the highest difficulty (■■■■)
Diverse environments (Catacombs - Swamp - Forest - Fields - Sanctuary (Boss) - Sanctuary (Reward areas)) (■■■■)
Inside the spoiler is the not finalized Information Piece you find about the area, with explained mechanics

Sanctuary (Information Piece)

Note: You can enter the area only once per session. Personal Riftgate is disabled. The only exit of the area is at the end after defeating the final boss.

– Mechanic

At the end are 5 locked gates you need to unlock to be able to advance and receive the highest possible reward. Each gate requires one key to unlock.

There are 4 keys scattered around the whole area till the final boss. They are hidden or guarded by stronger enemies.

HINT: Kill three (or two on Normal) bosses in the first area for one key. Kill three bosses in the third area for another key. The rest are hidden. You will get a message if you are near them.

You may drop up to 3 keys from the final boss, depending on who you awake. You can not carry more than 6 keys at once. All keys will vanish if you die or exit the area by other means.

The last reward area contains an additional chest, which requires an additional key to unlock (the sixth key).

– Sacrifice

You may apply multiple curses on yourself at the start of the dungeon (inside the tunnel). You can have up to two at once.

Each curse will grant you one additional reward at the end. To receive your reward, you need to unlock the third gate at the end, which therefore requires you to acquire at least three keys.

– Choice

The third reward area lets you choose your reward-type. Interact with both monuments to the right and left of the room to see your options. Choosing one option spawns multiple high- and low-value chests with the fitting reward-type, e.g. materials.

One option lets you randomize all rewards, with the risk of only receiving low-value chests - or, if lucky enough, only the high-value chests.

– Ambition

You can choose one buff inside the fourth reward area by interacting with the statue.

The buff won’t be applied instantly, but instead be a consumable which can be used whenever you want. All buffs will only expire when you exit the session or you die.

– Exit

After defeating the final boss, a so called Exit Scroll will be added to your inventory. Using it spawns a teleporter, which can be used to exit the area. You can use the scroll as often as you want.

New Location – Dream

Before entering the world of Nydiamar, you will decide to take a short nap. You will then play through a different version of Devils Crossing & Lower Crossing as an introduction to my mod (■■■■)
Point of this area is to ease the leveling when starting freshly out, especially when using a Head-Start option

New Location – Faction Arena

Diverse environments (Oasis - Desert (Arena) - Desert (Ruins) - Volcanic) (■■■■)
Randomized path (sort of), with randomized encounters (■■■■)
Additional time challenge, which yields you more rewards (■■■■)
Choice how far you want to go (Entrance fee goes up the further you go - Risk / Reward) (■■■■)
Gets more difficult the further you get, with more and more active mutators (■■■■)
Optional random Nemesis encounter (■■■■)
You can view some previews and read a little bit more information here

Leveling Factions

New hub for all faction merchants (■■■■)
You now gain reputation by exchanging so called Faction Tokens - these can be acquired by completing parts of the Faction Arena (■■■■)
Access to the arena requires a Faction Ticket, which you get by doing quests or by getting a lucky drop from chests (■■■■)

4 New Quests

With each one having a choice at the end, yielding different rewards

• Hawton Mine / Stolen Supplies (■■■■)
  • Strange Well / Nylan’s Stash (■■■■)
  • Tomb (■■■■)
  • Sanctuary (■■■■)

All old quests have been reworked with new dialog and rewards

A Main Quest

Guides you through the world
The objectives will be quite simple, an actual story may be added in another update
Quest description serves as a tutorial for many things

New Mechanics

Find and pop Devotion Spheres to unlock Devotion Dungeons, where you can locate the actual shrines as you know them. Acquire information about the locations of the Devotion Spheres, as well as about the Devotion Dungeons - e.g. what are the shrine requirements, how many of them are there, what are the mechanics of the area (■■■■)
Loot-Spheres are new core items. These are mostly acquired through quests and leveling, but can also be rarely dropped by more valuable chests. There are many different variations, e.g. Uncommon, Legendary or Special Materials. You can hold them inside your inventory or stash as long as you want and - should you decide to get their contents - pop (open) them at the Lectern of Questing. Everything will then be dropped in front of you (■■■■)
There are now six different bounties to choose from. Killing Undead, Aetherials, Chthonic Crystals and Hero Monsters - as well as destroying countless urns and finding Suspicious Scarecrows scattered around the world. So called Bounty Tokens are the currency required to complete a bounty. Rarity of the monsters killed affects the amount of tokens you get from the kill. There will also no longer be an annoying pop-up (■■■■)

New Soundtracks

Level range of enemies for each difficulty

Higher level offset the further you go in the campaign
Challenge Dungeons are actually challenging with a very high level offset

Skill & Attribute Shrines

Instead of getting additional points through quests, you will here get them through shrines, up to the same amount as the actual campaign (■■■■)

Currently there are 8 new shrines scattered around the world - and some are really well hidden

A chair to sit on Planned for the next update

Reworking Current Environments

First area, Canyon (lowering the cliffs, making them accessible) (■■■■)
First area, Hawton Path & Faywell Impact (■■■■)
First area, Abandoned House (■■■■)
Strange Well (mostly texturing) (■■■■)
Second area, cliffs in front of the Old Graveyard, where the bench is (lowering them) (■■■■)
Fully reworked the Nehada Desert with new assets from the expansion (■■■■)
Fully reworked the Ancient Ruins with new assets from the expansion (■■■■)
Transition Part I, lowered fog density (drastically), added better lighting (■■■■)

Actually, all old areas were reworked somehow, with some being vastly improved

Reworking Current Content

Reworked Leveling-Rewards - now more interesting and varied (■■■■)
Improved ALL old dialog vastly (with a better structure) (■■■■)
Further balancing of Odul Aela’s Dungeon, especially better moderating of the encounters (■■■■)
Different encounter in front of the Old Graveyard (between the cliffs) (■■■■)
Different encounter in the Tomb (■■■■)
Summon Stash Scrolls (■■■■)
Experience Scrolls as a common reward from quests (■■■■)

And many more things

Devotion (Hub)

Devotion (Dungeons)

Sanctuary

Your work is seriously impressive! New content sounds extremely interesting, I can’t wait to try it out! Thank you for doing all this!

you always create a high quality mod. well worth the wait. thanks for the continued work on this awesome mod!

Really great mod, however i had to stop playing it because the teleport markers were all over the place in the map and also unclickable.

I think you mean that glowing thing one can see in the attachments here. They suddenly appeared after a game update, and I already removed these in my upcoming update.

You are not supposed to interact with them. They are basically ‘Dungeon Entrances’ that are (supposed to be) invisible. They are either an exit point with no way back or have a script line attached to them that gets their current coordinates, which are used to make things appear/spawn later, for example reward chests.

i’m just here to say “thank you” for this mod.

Thank You Very Much Van Houck.

Does this work with Forgotten Gods?

Does it change anything in the game other then adding areas?

Ty