[Mod] Reign of Terror - keep/remove GD content after 1.0 release?

I am not for it i am also not against it.Do what is easiest to do.One thing i like about gd classes gives you more customization.Against most of the standard classes are boring(most of them anyways)only gd class i really like are demolition.
For me it can be w/e i really don’t care :slight_smile:

We have the original game for GD content, so I voted to remove it.

2 Likes

I voted in the removal of the GD content altogether. This will not only help the creator to ease his path and leave him more time to steady the world in a consistent way but also from the perspective of getting the most D2 immersion this is the way to go imho. Yet as some already mentioned, we already have GD at our hands.

2 Likes

While removing GD content could be good, I think it could loose some uniqueness, and just become a remake. Right now it’s more than a remake. It’s taking what’s good about diablo 2 AND Grim dawn, and putting it together into the amazing mod this is. Replayability is always a good thing, with many classes to choose from. If people only want to play diablo 2 content, there are many other good options.

5 Likes

First of all, thank you for your work. This mod is awesome, I started playing it 2 weeks ago and it’s been a blast.
I voted for removing GD classes and items because I find them a bit weird in a d2 scenery. I’m fine with Devotions since i love theorycrafting around and I think that the GD elements of the mod make it more unique and interesting.

2 Likes

As for me… I’m after staying only with devotions. All other can be dropped. If I would play D2 or Grim Dawn I would launch original. This mod is nice as it allow mix them in some point to enhance experience. But from what I played I see that all GD content like classes, items, chars aren’t well working with this mod. Only devotions are ok, as they add twist and many various combinations to builds. That is why only them are according to me content that should stay in this mod during further work.

2 Likes

See, I’m conflicted on this. On one hand, I love the grim dawn stuff cause its fantastic. I don’t want it removed.

On the other hand though, I realize its going to be a shit-ton of work to rebalancing everything; either balancing the Diablo 2 stuff to be on par with the Grim Dawn stuff, or vice versa.

I do believe the easiest and quickest option is to flat out remove, at the very least, the classes and items (I would miss my Gunazon though).

I feel like, my ideal scenario is: In the RoT world, only have diablo content; and then have a separate download, that adds the diablo 2 stuff to grim dawn. Keep those separate, yet keep the “D2 added to GD” patch balanced around GD. Just like a one-and-done balance pass, to get the D2 stuff kind of balanced around GD’s powerlevel, and then call it good.

In the end, I feel like regardless of what happens, the mod will still be fantastic.

This was a tough one. I very much so enjoy the crazy powerful class combinations with the GD classes. But I have definitely found myself at times stripping my characters down to just base D2 classes and no devotions to see how they perform in comparison.

I think from a balancing standpoint its probably easier to remove all the GD stuff. Even though I do think it does add a unique flavor to it rather than just going back and playing original D2.

Whatever choice ends up being, I think you’ll do a good job with it. Have very much enjoyed my hours in the mod.

I don’t care about balance between classes since this is a rather small mod community it’s better to focus on keeping it fun. So I prefer keeping all the Grim Dawn content so that there’s more options for build creation.

Grim Dawn items could probably go though. They dilute the item drop pool too much.

Voted back in '18 but I guess that poll is gone. My answer hasn’t changed - any of the three “Remove” options would satisfy me. This a D2 mod, the closer to D2, the better.

If people want a million other classes and masteries that don’t belong in D2 there’s surely some way to smash them in there with a mod - Grimarillion is proof of that.

After masteries, I’d like to see GD items go the most. GD items dilute the pool of useable D2 uniques, and unlike the GD masteries, the player can’t opt out of them.

Devotions are fine honestly, but it would be more true to the D2 experience to see them go. I don’t have a strong opinion either way on keeping them.

3 Likes

Seconded. Remove the items. Keeping the other stuff is fine since that doesn’t impact me one way or another as I can opt out of using classes and devotions but I can’t opt out of GD item drops diluting the loot pools.

3 Likes

Would there be a way to add MI-like items to the drop pool, D2 stylized, so that there is a viable option to get decent rares to fill in the spots (pants, shoulders, any item slots with subpar unique options) that had been using GD base gear to fill?

As it is re-creation of D2 on engine of GD - remove all GD content (if we want to play GD - we shall play vanilla). And thank you for your efforts, Ram

1 Like

Removing the GD content would kind of kill the point of this being a GD mod. I’m not saying it’s worth the work but try not to worry about balance and worry about whether or not your efforts aren’t just an exercise in whether or not you could port D2 into the GD engine. Because that’s all it would turn out to be should you pull all the GD out of it.

hi
i vote for remove all. thanks a lot.

1 Like

This mod is pure brilliance as it is, removal of the GD content would be absolutely fatal, in my opinion.

Doing so and all you are left with is a HD remake of Diablo 2 in the GD engine. If people just want to play D2, they can go play actual D2 and there are various HD mods if that is what people want. The combination of classes between D2 and GD gives the game so much variance and fun, in addition to all the devotions adding huge levels of customisation and replayablility. I assume it would mean removal of the Shattered Realm as well, which is an absolute blast with all the new class combinations. A full re-balancing of items, skills (e.g. hardcap of 30 on D2 class skills, same +10 as for GD classes) and monsters is what is needed, not a wholesale removal of content.

I know for a fact I’d stop playing this very quickly if it was just D2 content, don’t forget this isn’t mod isn’t “Diablo 2 for Grim Dawn” its “Reign of Terror”. Embrace this mod for what it is, a beautiful merge of amazing games. I see very little in the form of explanation behind the opinions of “remove it all” other than “we just want D2”. If you want D2, go play D2, not a D2 based hybrid GD Mod.

Oh and if you make the mod to be an exact D2 replica, then you can expect a Blizzard cease and desist order much faster than if it is what it is now. Just look at the old private vanilla WoW servers that all got nuked in the end so Blizzard could monetise WoW Classic.

4 Likes

If the dual class system is to stay, then I would go for keeping the GD content, but voted to keep devotions. That is layer which did not exist in D2 and is fairly interesting to keep to enhance the D2 experience.

drop the dual class system too if possible.

Otherwise, why not have both versions? (One with pure d2, another with GD/D2 mix)

Dual class system cannot be modded out, maintaining two versions would be a major PITA.

dual classing shouldn’t be taken out, but I wonder if there should be some kind of incentive to just not do it

dual classing options are pretty dire, most of the combinations are super obvious (paladin + anything, necro + druid) because synergies weren’t intended to exist.

i would love a world where necro/barb is great but I don’t think it’s this one