[Mod] Reign of Terror - keep/remove GD content after 1.0 release?

Dual class system can be disabled quite easily but RoT is built with this system in mind so disabling it would require complete overhaul and re-balance of the current content and that is not in our scope.

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone is welcome to change the mod to their liking with GD modding tools if the available RoT version/s don’t satisfy your needs.

Poll results have shown there is considerable number of RoT players who would like to keep GD content as a part of the mod and so we will do our best to keep both versions (one with GD content and the other without it) up to date for as long as we can after 1.0 release.

2 Likes

I voted for removal of GD content. It simply doesn’t mash well with D2 content.

What i really want to see is you to focus on making sure D2 mod is up to snuff with original D2 ideas and intentions. So things like bleed, aether etc damage and resistances should be completely out.

Once you get that base up to snuff this is where adding content from GD starts to make sense. But instead of including everything you need to make sure it fits into D2 mod right. Like case of D2 necromancer and GD necromancer. D2 already has necromancer so no reason to have 2 same classes.

I would love to see “PLUS” version but it needs to happen after you will get mod right in first place. Then you can expand on that base much like Median did and other mods.

I don’t know if it is possible but i would love to see introduction of level requirement for skills to pick them up, one of key issues i have with GD is how broken early game is due to lack of that level limit. You just pump up all your skill points into one skill and voila you beat 90% of game already.

what would be really weird is removing GD content including devotions. There’s no depth without devotions.

1 Like

This, We need this. Badly. By level 5 you can have Necro with Teeth +14 which technically murders anything with one shot and you got it made for the rest of the game. Even on Veteran rather… Normal +

I assume rebalancing the GD masteries and items is a ton of work, but since you asked :wink:

I’d prefer to keep them in, esp with the ability to combine two masteries that adds a lot of replayability.

1 Like

Everything about this current mod’s design is what makes it unique & appealing.

I think trying to mimic d2 within grim dawn is a great idea, but after playing it in this current format, i believe this is something you guys should really foster. Keep everything you currently have, but refine it to be more unique in its own right.

Fusing both games into one gives the player base more room for build diversity if balancing out skills, classes, & items was the overall intention of the developers.

Classic D2 wasn’t very complicated when you actually look back on it (you literally spam one skill for 99% of game play, when you made a character you had a very specific skill set in mind to maximize its effectiveness,) so i see no issue in what this current iteration of d2 mod has to offer the community.

From a developer standpoint, more mechanics = more balancing which is a nightmare, i understand.

my biggest qualm is,why would people play grim dawn - reign of terror, when d2 is still around if this is the route you decide to go with.

granted dual speccing will still probably be a thing, so that does give it a unique twist.

1 Like

I’ll say keep devotion and maybe some other GD stuff like shattered realms. I dont understand why people would want to play an exact diablo 2 clone when they could play diablo 2? what makes a mod for a game is to blend the 2 parts of the game together but focusing on one aspect which in this case is diablo 2.

Devotions and some GD items like the material things like chipped claw or whatever its called makes it more unique. When diablo 3 came out people complained to simplified.

When POE came out they said wow this is what D3 should have been look at alll the diversity. With this mod which has bit of GD aspects but still offers a pretty near close Diablo 2 experience with the POE diversity because of the GD aspect and people still want it to be the same thing as D2 game.Preformatted text

I’m conflicted on this one, I this mod pretty much combines two of my all time favorite games and I love having them both in one. On the other hand it’s pretty hard to balance I guess. But I think I still vote for keeping GD classes and especially devotions. The Devo system just adds another level of cusomization which I really love. Of course if the vote decides to remove everything I’ll still keep playing but I’ll make sure to make a copy of the version with combiuned features to play :3

1 Like

i voted keep everything with GD…

just by reading the mod title. upon seeing the title and mod picture itself.
w/o even checking the mod info - i thought that d2 quest,items,skills and monsters will be integrted to GD game. - the map and quest is fine.
just for versatility of the gameplay and builds…for me thats the catch of the mod itself.

I’ve seen this said a LOT in the past week or so. I don’t think any of us want an EXACT copy. We want the feeling and spirit of Diablo 2 brought into a modern engine and graphics. Grim Dawn still adds many wonderful features to the mod without the 800 GD Legendaries that are balanced for a completely different campaign and set of masteries.

I could easily turn the question around, and ask why would you want Grim Dawn masteries and items in the mod when you can just play Grim Dawn and get those things? We both know it’s not the same experience; the same goes for classic D2 vs RoT.

Reign of Terror will always be a hybrid of two games, and IMO that’s fantastic. I just think it is still leaning too far into GD territory. I don’t want to sound like I’m dissatisfied, I think the mod is great as is, and I know it can only get better with some adjustments. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting, never knew dual class system could be disabled, Was this recently added to the modding kit?

As for part 2, is that even feasible for you guys? I thought the general idea was to (if the majority vote went for removal of GD content) - then you will upload two versions of the game. The one with GD content will remain but won’t get updated whilst the one w/o it will get updates.

Quite frankly I am in favor of removal GD content but if you can maintain two versions of the mod then that’s good

@Flix

I agree i could just got play normal gd, but having the diversity of POE level is what makes this mod amazing! Dont get me wrong just the d2 aspect is amazing already but to me having more options and diversity is where its at! Like the choices you can make with the little material things on top of runes and devo is endless. But like other ppl say i woulsnt mind 2 versions. Like reign of terror original for a true D2 and reign of terror plus for the gd elements included.

1 Like

Poll has been closed, thank you all for participation.

Summary:

Removal of GD content has received more votes in total but there is also considerable number of RoT players who would like to keep GD content as a part of the mod and so we will do our best to keep both versions (one with GD content and the other without it) up to date for as long as we can after 1.0 release. This should allow everyone to enjoy the mod to their liking.

8 Likes

I fucking love you dude. Gods smile on you this day. @Ram

1 Like

Honestly. the only elements from GD I would really care to keep for This mod, would literally be the devotions, Medals (though having your own for the RoT classes), and base game components. Beyond that, what you have in place is -excellent-. And it seems that a lot of people seem to be in line with the idea of keeping the devotions.

I don’t know how to vote or if it’s too late but I would vote to get rid of all GD content except the Devotion systems.

This is such an amazing mod! Having a ton of fun, thank you very much and keep up the great work!

Polishing, theme and coherency are the main keys for a quality mod
Removing everything related to GD will give the mod immersion, balance and most important a theme

Please remove the items a minimum. While I just started out, it looks like 99% grim dawn items. Maybe that improves but first impressions count.

It’s a free mod that has been worked on for going over 4+ years now. It isn’t about first impressions.

Yes it could be better to remove GD content for players like me ( who never play D2 and wish to enjoy it but can get into old mechanic) can play diablo mod with engine of Gd. Thank you for your all hard work

1 Like