[Mod] Reign of Terror

Thanks for the quick response. Would you suggest waiting for 1.0 release to someone new to D2?

The mod already is D2-content complete and the overall experience most likely won’t differ significantly in the future, only improve where it is currently lacking and that is balancing.

1.0 release is still far away from now so it is up to you if you are willing to wait.

@Ram
First of all, I’d like to give you a huge thanks for creating this mod. I was a D2 fans since 2005 and seeing this game “remastered” on GD is a blast for me.

I’ve been following the news so far and heard that you’re planning to remove GD classes and items in ver 1.0. I totally agree. Playing D2 with GD items does take away the experience a little bit. Still, I have a few questions:

1. By removing GD items, does that mean you will also remove Relic items?

2. Will Devotion system stay? Or will it be removed? I understand it is a GD system but personally I think it makes the character progression more interesting.

The plan is to remove GD classes and replace GD items with D2-like gear, including Relics. The least amount of work would be to simply replace +GD skills with D2 counterpart (example: items with Shaman skills would be turned into Druid skills) instead of making new custom gear from scratch but we will decide how to proceed when we get there.

Hey are you planning to balance the mod harder or easier? Id love to see hell a helluva lot harder :grin: Uber bosses are allready insanely hard, but in hell difficulty i miss elites that are like immune to physical or something like that to require special tactics… Now elite packs and small bosses are kinda squishy. Also in my opinion hell should start from 100lvl minimum mob lvl. Also some dungeons should have like 125+ mod lvl so that one could farm somthing else than baal endgame. Remember ancient tunnels ect in d2 with very rare drops and harder elites? The excitement back in the days with some super rare item or rune dropping after dying constantly in the pitt…the rush. Also i noticed certain talents on classes way outperform others decreasing build variation. For example, paladin zeal compared to blessed hammer. You can’t bind any devotion to zeal and it seems so useless in comparison to hammer. I actually had to spec hammerdin because i couldn’t stay alive with zeal even with 100% block, resists maxed and huge lifesteal. Also pit would be kinda cool if some items would add like retaliation damage to certain attacks like zeal. In gd i loved the fact that you could create totally new builds with certain items adding something new to a skills. I actually made stacking dual- thorns aura paladin with runeword armor. (Dunno if you intented this to be possible) But i soon noticed i can’t do enough active dps with it due the only skill benefitting from it being bash. I totally agree with your to plan to remove gd content except devotions and replacing items with d2 replacements. Adds to the original d2 feel imo. Makes balancing alot easier too, if im not mistaken. Do you plan to change devotions in some way or keep them way they are? Also do you plan to add mob and/or area specific loot tables? Sorry for so many questions and suggestions in the same post. Feel free to answer only if you want. Your mod is just so good and im enoying it too much. One could say the old d2 fanatic in me has been resurrected thanks to this mod. I’d love to see it developing into being the ultimate diablo experience. I got some free time atm and id love to contribute if i can. Do you guys need/want help?

Current state: start of the game is slower and more difficult while the nm / hell difficulty is a joke for the most parts.

Balanced state: the other way around (easier / quicker start and harder nm / hell).

This will be solved with new enemy hp scaling which @elvenroth is almost done with. Another step is D2 class / items balance because some of the combinations are ridiculously OP and allow for immortal “destroyer of worlds” characters and this cannot be fixed by simply increasing enemy level.

RoT already had the same area level distribution as D2 (i.e. higher lvl dungeon areas) but many people complained about this since the level difference is visible in GD unlike D2 where players cannot see in-game that they are fighting 10-15+ higher lvl enemies. That is the reason why area levels were changed to linear scaling.

Some skills being unable to use Devotion procs is caused by the workaround which was implemented to make certain skills behave as close to the original as possible. Which means attaching devotion proc directly to the base skill and skills cannot have more than 1 devot. proc assigned in GD.

All item granted auras are stackable with the base class auras and also among each other. That’s 100% intended.

RoT dev team is always open to all willing to contribute so I will be more than happy to discuss this further with anyone interested in helping out.

Made a poll on the “keep/remove GD content from RoT” topic. See more in the link below:

[Mod] Reign of Terror - keep/remove GD content after 1.0 release?

1 Like

Ok, i voted on the poll. kinda surprised that most votes get to keep all GD content.
I love GD, but this mod is almost as close to D2 as can be. The GD items feel out of place here.
But tbh, if the items were kept in it and there was a rebalance around it, i’d be fine too.

But while i’m not game expert, i would think keeping all Gd items in it and rebalance around that is an immense amount of work, no?

i would agree for easier early game.Make easier early game and let the difficulty with each act.I went to fought Raven killed her went into a crypt and a Fire boss hit me 1 shot ko and that’s with a barb which are a full str build.I don’t mind that on high difficulty but on level 5/6 that’s brutal :grin:

i loved the difficulty soo much! I had to utilize resistances/enchants and devotions in order to advance…and stop to farm more gear…i totally loved it. Maybe im masochistic in that way i enjoy insane challenge.

I voted on removing Grim dawn classes and items but keeping celestial signs as I feel it adds a real useful level of customization.

I also feel it would be much easier for you all to mod and balance the game around Diablo 2 related things by removing a crazy huge equation of items. As much as I love being able to mix classes with the grim dawn ones, I can’t imagine how nightmarish it is to balance.

3 Likes

I understand the workaround, but imo it backfires too much as chance on attack devotions that have low cd tend to be very usefull for main ability. Couldn’t you just make the zeal more like cadence or vervor with some extra speed and or other qualities like torrent for primal strike?

They’ve already stated they will be keeping the Devotions in the mod (plus since there is no respec available from Akara like in D2, they’ll need to keep in the respec potions as well.

The game is awesome)

Remove all GD content is foremost on the poll by a long way. Any source where they mentioned they would keep devotions? Cause if they won’t accept the result then why make the poll in the first place?

Hm, look at the poll itself?

The poll was made to understand where people stand when it comes to this topic. The results will influence future development but there are other aspects that have to be taken into account. One of the most important ones is how much work it is to make the changes and only devs have a rough idea of what it takes (with the scale of this mod, it is almost certain that there will be some complications that will emerge after the work has begun).

However, it is already clear that there is large group of RoT players who want GD content in the mod so my personal aim will be to keep both parties satisfied so everyone could be able to enjoy the mod. Which means having 2 separate RoT versions (one with GD content and other without it).

3 Likes

I am totally for the linear dungeons without high level dungeons in normal progression. I thought for many years the Eastern Sun mod was so dang cool with those high level dungeons. After many years of loving it I started hating it for that feature. I couldn’t play the old levels like they used to be and it destroyed seamless gameplay progression. High level dungeons in places most players don’t go in a playthrough makes much more sense, if that’s possible.

One character would hit a wall in that high level dungeon and another could make it through with alot of effort. The reward was seldom worth the trouble because the items were 20+ levels above me! In addition, experience gain was awful, you’d progress more playing normal levels unless you happened to be close to the level of the dungeon, and at that point it’s much like endgame levels and not a high level area. It’s inconsistent and creates strange problems.

Then once you have progressed and farmed high level locations, you would practically fall asleep running act 3 because you’d power leveled if you stuck to it and the contrast in difficulty was just far too high. It makes the game inconsistent and at times out right boring.

Right now 62% of the total player base who voted want to keep devotions, when you count those who want to keep GD content/classes. I would be incredibly surprised if most wanted devotions removed, in my opinion Grim Dawn doesn’t hold up without devotions, whether that’s with the RoT mod or without. It’s the chief reason I love GD to begin with (and the chief reason it was hard for me to learn, but now it’s not a big deal).

Around 40% of those who want GD content removed (classes specifically) want to keep devotions.

A little challenge would be to get the launcher to choose between the 2 different mods like a drop down box for instance,Either way i can play w/e i am not really picky :smiley:

So grim dawn v1.1.6.0 just launched, will this affect the mod at all? I’m holding off on updating just in case