[Mod] Reign of Terror

So basically I need an almost finished char to have fun with those? And then farm the trinkets so I don’t have to do it with another weaker char?

The Brutalix fight was actually more enjoyable than the others I did so far, because you had to evade (ground) damage and not debuffs. I think that’s how boss fights should be: scary encounters and not something that drags on and on.

I almost have enough keys for uber tristram now, I might give it a go just to see what it’s like.

There is a difference between a “finished char” and decent set up. They’re meant as the endgame content, so the gear requirement is a bit higher. If anyone in crappy gear could do them it’s not much of a challenge is it? Ubers in d2 were locked away behind pretty high gear requirements as well.
Finished char for you would mean having mythical griswolds. Decent would mean having some gul runes and a hoto and chains of honor or something (runewords are fairly easy to get).
To put it bluntly: you’re now taking a shitty character and complaining the content is too hard/slow, while you have a LOT of room for improvement still before even reaching endgame/BiS gear.

No, I’d try to get your current char optimized a bit better, which doesnt mean all endgame gear…

Ok, now you’re being ridiculous. My “shitty char” can pretty much do any content I encountered so far, I’m not complaining about difficulty here. That goes back to your difficulty=time argument and I still don’t buy it. Difficult fights can be short or long, the timeframe has nothing to do with that.

If at all I’d probably go for an Enigma chest, because move speed and regen is invaluable to me. With HotO I’m gaining +1 to BH but loose almost 100% magic damage and up to 28% cast speed, depending on the rolls. So it’s not like I would be doing double damage all of a sudden.

And most of the uber chars probably got their gear when bosses were complete push-overs. So they were able to farm 10 times faster then we do now. That’s the main problem I’m seeing, everything takes too long if you start out fresh.And most of the uber chars probably got their gear when bosses were complete push-overs. So they were able to farm 10 times faster then we do now. That’s the main problem I’m seeing, everything takes too long if you start out fresh.

Case in point, here’s a paladin build from your site. Difference is, it was done on version 0.6.3.0b.
His tooltip dps is exactly the same as mine, 516k. He has more than double my AR, so let’s say he hits twice as often as I do. He killed Brutalix in 19 seconds, so in that version of the game I would have needed around 40 seconds maybe. Now it’s 8-10 minutes, that’s the real problem here and not the difficulty of the fight.

Ubers have not been changed between 0.6.2.1 and current patch (act bosses and worldbosses have). Using that build and gear would net you the exact same kill time vs brutalus in current patch zo your point doesnt really hold up in this case. The campaign has been buffed to also provide a smoother transition to endgame as the difficulty gap was huge before.

The to all skills is worth a lot more than a mere 100% magic damage and some cast speed, so is the racial damage on CoH.

If your AR is too low (below 70 or 75% chance to hit), you also deal less damage then on char sheet.
So he hits, and crits, and has crushing blow. But judging on your comments, the damage of ubers should be increased?

Most farming is/was done in SR which then was only available in hell. Now you can do it in normal and nm so it should be even easier to get runes and uniques now.

So in addition to hitting less often your average damage per hit also gets decreased? This is different from base Grim Dawn then, cause there you either hit/crit or you don’t, low OA doesn’t have an added damage debuff. I just double-checked with Brutalix, I got a 60% hit chance there. So that’s probably as low as it gets. But even with that I should not be doing only 1/10 of the damage of that other build, when the tooltip is the same.

The crushing blow mechanic has always been stupid since the days of D2 and should have never been added to that game or any other game for that matter.

And no, I don’t think uber damage should be buffed just because my char has good mitigation/evasion. That could completely destroy less durable builds. Or is every build meant to be built like a tank in this mod?

All I’m saying is that the debuffs only hurt chars that struggle already to beat those encounters in a timely manner, the op builds probably don’t even notice them. That’s bad, there should be mechanics in place that affect everyone about equally (as much as that is possible). Maybe more properly(!) telegraphed oneshot mechanics so you can’t stand in front of the boss the whole time.

And while boss rooms in SR are quite fun, it feels like I’m playing a completely different game at that point. All the mobs and tile sets are from Grim Dawn and it almost feels like cheating because of the droprate. I would like to play only your content, but the duration of the boss fights is a real downer.

This is also in base GD as far as I know, check out this post Advanced Mechanics

So in short, you miss 40% of your attacks. If you do hit, you deal about 15% less damage and you cannot crit. You have no crushing blow to speed up a fight significantly. You have no conviction (which adds a lot more damage through the resist reduction). The build you linked does crit, a lot, so probably has a 3x crit multiplier as well, and has mythical griswolds which does add a projectile i think to BH (so doubled damage that doesnt show on sheet).
It takes so long as your stats arent optimal as I’ve mentioned before. CB let’s you “cheat” a bit on the length of the fight, which is exactly what people use/need when they’re not fully endgame gear equipped. Once you are, you also no longer need CB.

Oh, and SR will be removed completely but that’s known already.

i was farming sr and one of the map has this bug that can walk out of the map, i am not sure if this also happen in grim dawn sr. anyway since it is going to be removed i won’t be putting too much attention to it then.

another thing i observe is that my briarthorn and golem will attack the goblin upon seeing it, but skeletal mage seems to ignore it, they only attack if using pet attack button. i guess it may be due to i set both briarthorn and golem to aggresive, but for skeletal skill it can not be set as aggressive. not a big problem anyway.

the last question is i notice i am playing hell 0.6.2.0, is this correct? i need to download the 0.6.5.3 update? just overwrite by paste the folder?

thanks in advance.

Still the numbers don’t add up to 10 times the damage, even with a very generous crit chance of 40% (that’s what I get when attacking level 1 mobs). The brunt of it seems to come indeed from Crushing Blow and that extra projectile then.

Maybe it’s just that I don’t really care about playing finished builds, I quickly loose interest in those. Looking at all the stuff I’d need to get for this char to perform properly and how long it would take to grind these out, I’d rather do something else instead. Unless there is a way to target farm a mob for let’s say Griswolds. But if it’s just a random uber drop then I’m out cause there is no way I’ll do this at 6-7 bosses per hour.

The concept of the hidden ubers is cool but they are basically one-trick-ponies. All of them (at least all the ones I fought so far) spam you with debuffs for the sole reason to prolong the fight. While I was typing this I was standing afk to Cthulhu and it took him several minutes to kill me with just my procs popping off now and then. That’s not what I’m looking for in a boss fight, if you would do that in PoE’s endgame encounters you’d be dead within seconds, no matter what build you play.

It was an interesting experience and it’s really impressive what you guys achieved with this mod, but I might stop for now and see what the future brings.

@ Pannathrax Yes, if you want to play current content you need to upgrade. Just be prepared for a huge jump in mob hp.

I see, i will try to update it.

i am not really a uber farming level yet i just only reach a low level sr, so i guess i need much more time to farm some equipment before i could try those boss.

hope to try out more of the d2 classes afterwards

Doesn’t sound like a interesting design choice either imo.

As far as the damage goes, sheetdmg is very unreliable so you can hardly use that for comparing the damage. Targetfarming for myth set pieces is done by killing worldbosses (not ubers).

I’m open for suggestions adding in new mechanics, if they’re within my modding abilities and GD allows for the mechanics.

A lot of new epic stuff. :grin:

It’s really just a completely different approach. The devs value mobility over everything, so you are kind of forced to constantly relocate during endgame boss fights. You can’t build a character with 100% block chance or 90-95% all resists over there, so you can expect to mitigate only so much damage. In turn you have vastly more raw power at your disposal than in Grim Dawn. So the fights are generally on the shorter side, but more dynamic. Anyway, to each their own, there is probably no right or wrong here.

I can report one last thing. I encountered a hero in Dry Hills, who was able to block my 4500 dps Zeal so effectively, that only around 120-150 damage got through each hit. Is a mob supposed to be that tanky in just the second act? The name is Gray Skull the Sharp.
Edit: Just encountered another one, Star Grin the Axe. That was an animal which obviously had no shield. Still I was only hitting for about the same amount, with no negative status effects on me. What is up with these mobs in Act 2 all of a sudden? I can’t remember meeting any of those in my previous playthrough.

Early uber bosses (mostly in Act 1-3) were made in a very short time just to have something besides Pandemonium event and I admit that there was never too much effort put into them as I had to focus on making more campaign content and thus you can look at them as an unfinished product. They were adjusted by other devs later (that’s when most of the debufs come from) but that didn’t improve the fight mechanics drastically because the initial design was not interesting to begin with. You can see some changes in hidden uber fight mechanics which were added later (such as Brutalus, Gorgona, Necrosis) where the idea was to make the fights more dynamic.

So with enough time, uber bosses should improve to utilize more dynamic approach.

These are heroes with “Stoneskin” passive which gives them 25% more armor, 35% Physical and Pierce resist on top of default hero attributes / resists so they end up very tanky against any pure phys build.

Thanks for reporting about skeleton mages not attacking goblins, I figured out something was off but wasn’t sure what. At some point other minion types attacked them and I was eventually getting kills in Hell. So that occurs in the current patch, to my knowledge.

no idea if it’s intended for Zakarum to make my fist of heavens miss them. Then they teleport me a few times and I’m dead as I can’t handle melee attacks, LOL. In Kurast.

Then those flies I know are lightning immune later don’t die with 1% health left, at least one did anyway. Haven’t had a problem until this one. Magic damage not killing them either. But again, so far just one monster did that.

EDIT: Those flies are dying somehow, or they disappeared, not sure which. So they did die, but were sticking around with almost empty health bars, not sure why.

Another thing, when you freeze the flies they instead look like a globe. Guessing I’m seeing the 3D model of the flies (whatever they are called) when the animation isn’t playing out.

EDIT 2: OK, finally figured out what was happening. On my first encounter I thought I was attacking it quite awhile, but on this latest attempt with a Hell Swarm (flies or tropical bugs), he died after waiting a certain period. My guess is it’s temporary immunity to lightning/magic or otherwise any incoming damage. Then it dies shortly after. It’s the same effect of the high heal minions in act 4/5 where they stick around long enough to help get you killed.

EDIT 3: Really confusing what’s going on. Turns out none of them died and I just lost track of where they came from. Found an entire swarm of them to confirm they stay with a small amount of health and never die. It must be because I use lightning magic, I don’t remember this being an issue with my necromancer.

EDIT 4: OK, that’s freaking weird! I found another area where I’d previously attacked invulnerable Hell swarms and they died on contact? Uh ok, LOL.

Faithful also stop fist of heavens from working, alot of the time. It’s an interesting encounter. They do die, so it’s all good. It feels interesting as they are largely spell casters and healers and I have similar abilities. It’s like a face off.

This doesn’t happen in GD due to having “impassable layer” painted out properly. Unfortunately, this layer information doesn’t get extracted with the map tiles and thus I had to manually re-do it to best of my ability without spending too much time on it and since there are so many SR tiles, some of the spots have been missed. But as you have already mentioned, SR will be removed completely with 0.7 update so any related SR bugs / issues won’t soon matter.

And with regards to pet aggro towards goblins: skeleton mages use aggressive stance by default to counter the fact that their pet widget was removed to limit screen clutter. Going to check their controller to see if there is anything specific which would prevent them from attacking goblins without the Pet Attack skill. If I can’t find anything specific then it might be related to the manual change of stances via pet widget which skeleton warriors / mages don’t have for the reason mentioned above.

Hell Swarm bug is known and will be fixed in the next update.

There are only 3 things which can affect your chance to hit:

1. Player’s Attack Rating vs enemy Defense (= hit/crit chance)
  2. Dodge / deflect (certain enemies can have increased chance to avoid attacks / projectiles which is represented in-game by combat text)
  3. Hitbox (enemies with small hitbox are more difficult to hit with projectiles)

So check what exactly might be the issue in your case.

Hmm, I’ll wait for the patch and see what happens, I don’t think I have a way to collect more data on the swarms.

Goblins, don’t think my lightning hireling was attacking the goblin in my first encounter in Nightmare act 3. Just like with my Necro in an older patch, I maybe got down 1/3rd of his health. So I have to be doing massive damage and find them in Hell for me to actually kill them with all characters so far. May have killed a few with my Necro in Nightmare and don’t remember, but I do remember with my Necro it was useless even when my minions managed to attack.

The mages with the faithful were the ones that stop my attack from landing on the faithful and Zakarum guys. I kill them and the target issue goes away. So it seems to be an intended mechanic.

I did a couple of builds now, and it seems nothing compares to a classic arpg (Diablo 1 Veteran), fully maxed AD doesn’t or just barelly has an effect (bugged or nonsensically overcapped), the - Fireresistance on the 2 handed mace for druid doesnt work due the Burn doesn’t get aplied to Hurricane, + another few bugs or just the crazy tanky white mobs. Almost none of the chars i’ve tried fellt like Diablo 2s breezing through packs… only thing worked was anything combined with Paladin + Magic damage (Horray at least we got the braindead Hammerdin back, which reminds of D2jsp Whales on Battlenet…). Why is the pace so slow (EXP + Gear)? Feels like i play some Variation of WOW (the reason i’ve tried D3 for about 20 minutes and yeah it was faster but you could rename it “WOW - the casual cronicles” and nobody would have recognized the diffrence beside the class names). Beside that i see a lot of potential but the “fun” part of an ARPG is a bit lacking…

Which one?
Edit: I found the one. The modifier was set up incorrectly so it didn’t work. It’s fixed for next patch, thanks for reporting.

I dont really get the WOW reference. Similarly, what bugs are you speaking of?
I know AC from diablo1, what do you mean with AD?

It helps to be a bit more specific when reporting bugs/issues.

AD = Amplify Damage, sorry, thought you were familar with the old Bnet abrevations (played a lot of Necro too so maybe that). The WOW comparison… its the pace, regular mobs last at least 3-4 hits (even the most fragile: the teleporting fireball Goblins from act 5 Highlands) even with crazy gear, the cooldown management (well a no brainer due its Grim Dawn) and epic raid bosses where you can tapper Mouse 1 if you have enough mitigation and go for lunch (or run a scripted bot when its comes to actuall WOW, but i hate online cheaters so nvm). Bugs which already have been reported as far as ive seen is the regen buffs and for me are the Res debuffs which are barely working if at all (probably due overcap, which make all builds which just have one source of -% res a real drag, not to mention about builds with none beside of constellations).

This mod is taking the same flack Back to Hellfire did back when D2 modding was really big and everyone still played it. It’s still big, but there’s alot of other ARPG’s out there now that compete and D2 itself has gotten quite old.

The mod was hard as hell, and it was intended to be that way. I remember reading about a beta build where a guy finally found his first skill book in act 5. It changed alot from there, but it was still seriously difficult. However, it was also one of the most popular mods out there for those who enjoyed it.

I can’t hardly stand to play it anymore because I know there’s a HUGE grind at act 4 as the final boss is so difficult and the basic monster mobs were extremely difficult. Farm farm farm.

The slowed down pace is intended. I’m one of few players who enjoys Normal + in this mod despite the developers of it not recommending to do so. I’m an older and more patient player and enjoy challenging encounters overall. So if I like Normal +, you can imagine I don’t have much of an issue with Nightmare or Hell.

When it comes to bosses, Ram has already covered that in a recent post. The game isn’t done and there’s still some issues and balancing as well as skill tree changes and new content to come, but as it is now is basically how it will be in the future.

Personally, I love it. I am just one, but if I like it that probably means there’s a few others. That is, I’ve always liked their endgame goal of balance. When I’ve played D2 mods in the past I always enjoy the more difficult ones that are more slow paced and thoughtful and require effort to progress at times.