[Mod] Reign of Terror

I’m simply guessing this was the closest model to Hratli there was. But I’m just guessing here as to why. I’ve always thought Hratli was a woman anyway so it actually fits my memory of D2 better now :smile:

The quest is triggered either by walking into the tower or by talking to the book in stony field. If you don’t do either, you won’t get it in your log.

Everywhere I have gone in act 2 Nightmare, so far, the Energy Shield icon displays different and likely incorrectly from when I first used it in act 1:

I also did an experiment on a boss (guess which) where I leeched experience until I was level 72 from their minions while keeping the boss himself alive. Often times it ended in my own death, but eventually I more consistently stayed alive. It didn’t even break the game as I lack live/regen/defenses to stay alive alot of the time in Act 2 Nightmare, and my damage isn’t exactly ungodly. I was working on defense the entire time I leeched off the boss for a number of hours. I need devotion points more than I did levels it seems…

I only did it because my Paladin was struggling. It became painfully clear after my powerful Necromancer using druid enhancing life. I am now invested heavily in defenses. Part of the reason for this is that all my offensive skills are already maxed, that I can think of to use at this time at least. That’s quite a different experience from Necromancer where I’d have to hit level 100 to be satisfied with skill placement. Literally endless summons to invest in…

EDIT. NEVERMIND about the screenshot. I had a different impression of the graphics and simply saw a little light at the top of my screen as Act 1 is very dark, particularly how I like running the game. This screenshot is with high contrast, full 4x DSR and 90% sharpen on the graphics. Finally Grim Dawn isn’t blurry, LOL. But I’m sure my desktop settings won’t transfer to the screenshot…

My paladin also struggled for a long time with survivability and my damage still isn’t quite where I want it to be. But at least I’m not dying to mobs anymore, well as long as there is no reflect that is. I went full defense, cause all the damage in the world means nothing if you have to stand in the middle of packs and can die in seconds.

This is my SSF Hammerdin and at level 85 he feels tanky enough to maybe try the ubers, but I’ll still need to cap 3 of my resists:

Screenshot%202021-01-21%20204808
Screenshot%202021-01-21%20204607 Screenshot%202021-01-21%20204633

Constellations (all more or less defensive): Ishtak, the Spring Maiden / Tree of Life / Light of Empyrion / Ulo the Keeper of the Waters / Shield Maiden / Obelisk of Menhir / Widow (super useful for the magic resist debuff) / Eel / Lion / Sailor’s Guide / Crane / Toad / Mantis / Chariot of the Dead / Behemoth

I curently still use the support templar merc, but I might replace it with a defensive one soon. That would almost cap my block chance and that’s probably more helpful than the extra regen, although I might run into mana issues on bosses with no adds around to leech from.
Edit: I just tried it out and mana regen is indeed an issue at certain moments. But I can literally afk at Hell Mephisto or Baal and they can’t get me below 50% hp. So the defensive one is a lot stronger if you can get some extra regen elsewhere.

By the way, is there a mythical version of the Guardian Angel chest? I absolutely love the +max resists, but the armor value is really low for my current level.

Update: I fought some more hidden ubers and I can’t say I’m a fan so far. They take way too long and the bosses are not interesting enough to warrant that. If it would be a three-phase fight or something, then maybe. But it’s a completely static encounter where you’re basically wacking the same mob the whole time and he/she/it does the same 2-3 attacks. The boss rooms in SR are way more exciting than this. I know that other arpgs also have a lot of standard boss fights, but the difference is that in those games they don’t take 10 minutes to complete. The stages on the other hand I really do like, they all have a distinct feel and theme to them.

Get rid of all the -player damage, -player cast/attack speed and +chance to miss mods. They serve no other purpose than to prolong something that has already overstayed its welcome by that point. Cause if you’re not dead after 4 minutes, chances are you’re not dead after twice the time either.

Seen this and just thought I’d mention that if you use Grim Internals…

…you can disable Grim Dawn’s ever-present fog layer, which is responsible for much of that blur.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the tip. I’ve never used it (Grim Internals), but my current settings look great.

Stormtree is undefeatable in Nightmare, before Lower Kurast. I hadn’t fought him in Nightmare since many patches ago. It’s not a duration of heal and then vulnerable later, it’s a continuous strong life regen. Fist of Heavens is a slow spell overall, so I have no chance. :smiley: And keep in mind I’m level 72 and therefore I’ve outlevel him by 5! Duriel wasn’t a problem besides dying to him once.

Tell that to the people who are running builds who kill them in 5 seconds (yes, plenty builds around do this).
Checking your build out, it doesnt quite look uber ready. Looking at your attack rating, it’s too low to properly do ubers. Aim for 3.5k as a minimum if you use conviction, and 4.5k minimum if you dont use conviction (sounds like a lot, it isnt. For some builds it’s not hard at all to reach 8k AR to put 4.5k in perspective). What is your chance to hit a hidden uber?
Devotions I’d focus a bit more on offensive/AR. I’d get at least hawk, panther and bards harp as well.
Make sure to have augments and components on your gear. Best way for AR is using gul runes, picking the AR passive from Amazon (you have 0 points in it)
If you dont have the gul runes, use P.amethysts, and I would swap concentration for conviction. If you dont need the mercenary to survive, I recommend the act4 offensive merc for another AR boost. Then there are the obvious gear pieces you’d want to get (hoto/chains of honor/harlequin crest, brutalus’ trinket or crystalix’ paladin trinket etc, and ideally mythical griswolds once you reach lvl94).

Also, the skillslots enemies have is limited. About 5 attacks is what most can use. You can link skills together to add in extra stuff however. Multi-phase boss fights we might implement at some point as well but havent gotten to yet.

As there are a lot of people who do kill bosses in a matter of seconds, changing them isnt gonna happen soon but they’ll change a bit at some point.

The debuffs they cause, together with the mana drains are intended to be dodged and not face tanked, to creative some dynamics.

I have a few more ideas but feel free to leave suggestions for bosses how you would change it.

No, there are no mythical versions of anything except for the unique javalins, the d2 class sets and bul-khatos set.

In pretty much any arpg there are boss killer builds which completely annihilate all endgame challenges. But you don’t balance the game around those, cause then everything else feels terrible to play.

If they truly can kill ubers in 5 seconds, then they are most likely already all geared up, so they should have an easy time with them. What does it matter if those builds can kill them 2 seconds faster? But for all those unfinished builds like mine, it would make a world of difference if the fight duration would be cut in half. I’m not saying that the fights should be easier, only be over faster. The 5 second builds are not affected at all by those annoying debuffs, but the normal/aoe builds for sure are and it makes it a rather unsatisfying experience. I just killed Brutalix and got the Titans Trinket, so my build can’t be that bad honestly. And yes, my attack rating is too low but there isn’t much I can do about it at the moment. I did sacrifice offense for defense, cause I need to be able to stay alive with the way BH works.

Those top tier builds are mostly getting a bit of a nerf, but the stats on your current one are far from optimal to fight ubers, so it can hardly be used as a solid reference, even as a sub-optima build type.

So basically I need an almost finished char to have fun with those? And then farm the trinkets so I don’t have to do it with another weaker char?

The Brutalix fight was actually more enjoyable than the others I did so far, because you had to evade (ground) damage and not debuffs. I think that’s how boss fights should be: scary encounters and not something that drags on and on.

I almost have enough keys for uber tristram now, I might give it a go just to see what it’s like.

There is a difference between a “finished char” and decent set up. They’re meant as the endgame content, so the gear requirement is a bit higher. If anyone in crappy gear could do them it’s not much of a challenge is it? Ubers in d2 were locked away behind pretty high gear requirements as well.
Finished char for you would mean having mythical griswolds. Decent would mean having some gul runes and a hoto and chains of honor or something (runewords are fairly easy to get).
To put it bluntly: you’re now taking a shitty character and complaining the content is too hard/slow, while you have a LOT of room for improvement still before even reaching endgame/BiS gear.

No, I’d try to get your current char optimized a bit better, which doesnt mean all endgame gear…

Ok, now you’re being ridiculous. My “shitty char” can pretty much do any content I encountered so far, I’m not complaining about difficulty here. That goes back to your difficulty=time argument and I still don’t buy it. Difficult fights can be short or long, the timeframe has nothing to do with that.

If at all I’d probably go for an Enigma chest, because move speed and regen is invaluable to me. With HotO I’m gaining +1 to BH but loose almost 100% magic damage and up to 28% cast speed, depending on the rolls. So it’s not like I would be doing double damage all of a sudden.

And most of the uber chars probably got their gear when bosses were complete push-overs. So they were able to farm 10 times faster then we do now. That’s the main problem I’m seeing, everything takes too long if you start out fresh.And most of the uber chars probably got their gear when bosses were complete push-overs. So they were able to farm 10 times faster then we do now. That’s the main problem I’m seeing, everything takes too long if you start out fresh.

Case in point, here’s a paladin build from your site. Difference is, it was done on version 0.6.3.0b.
His tooltip dps is exactly the same as mine, 516k. He has more than double my AR, so let’s say he hits twice as often as I do. He killed Brutalix in 19 seconds, so in that version of the game I would have needed around 40 seconds maybe. Now it’s 8-10 minutes, that’s the real problem here and not the difficulty of the fight.

Ubers have not been changed between 0.6.2.1 and current patch (act bosses and worldbosses have). Using that build and gear would net you the exact same kill time vs brutalus in current patch zo your point doesnt really hold up in this case. The campaign has been buffed to also provide a smoother transition to endgame as the difficulty gap was huge before.

The to all skills is worth a lot more than a mere 100% magic damage and some cast speed, so is the racial damage on CoH.

If your AR is too low (below 70 or 75% chance to hit), you also deal less damage then on char sheet.
So he hits, and crits, and has crushing blow. But judging on your comments, the damage of ubers should be increased?

Most farming is/was done in SR which then was only available in hell. Now you can do it in normal and nm so it should be even easier to get runes and uniques now.

So in addition to hitting less often your average damage per hit also gets decreased? This is different from base Grim Dawn then, cause there you either hit/crit or you don’t, low OA doesn’t have an added damage debuff. I just double-checked with Brutalix, I got a 60% hit chance there. So that’s probably as low as it gets. But even with that I should not be doing only 1/10 of the damage of that other build, when the tooltip is the same.

The crushing blow mechanic has always been stupid since the days of D2 and should have never been added to that game or any other game for that matter.

And no, I don’t think uber damage should be buffed just because my char has good mitigation/evasion. That could completely destroy less durable builds. Or is every build meant to be built like a tank in this mod?

All I’m saying is that the debuffs only hurt chars that struggle already to beat those encounters in a timely manner, the op builds probably don’t even notice them. That’s bad, there should be mechanics in place that affect everyone about equally (as much as that is possible). Maybe more properly(!) telegraphed oneshot mechanics so you can’t stand in front of the boss the whole time.

And while boss rooms in SR are quite fun, it feels like I’m playing a completely different game at that point. All the mobs and tile sets are from Grim Dawn and it almost feels like cheating because of the droprate. I would like to play only your content, but the duration of the boss fights is a real downer.

This is also in base GD as far as I know, check out this post Advanced Mechanics

So in short, you miss 40% of your attacks. If you do hit, you deal about 15% less damage and you cannot crit. You have no crushing blow to speed up a fight significantly. You have no conviction (which adds a lot more damage through the resist reduction). The build you linked does crit, a lot, so probably has a 3x crit multiplier as well, and has mythical griswolds which does add a projectile i think to BH (so doubled damage that doesnt show on sheet).
It takes so long as your stats arent optimal as I’ve mentioned before. CB let’s you “cheat” a bit on the length of the fight, which is exactly what people use/need when they’re not fully endgame gear equipped. Once you are, you also no longer need CB.

Oh, and SR will be removed completely but that’s known already.

i was farming sr and one of the map has this bug that can walk out of the map, i am not sure if this also happen in grim dawn sr. anyway since it is going to be removed i won’t be putting too much attention to it then.

another thing i observe is that my briarthorn and golem will attack the goblin upon seeing it, but skeletal mage seems to ignore it, they only attack if using pet attack button. i guess it may be due to i set both briarthorn and golem to aggresive, but for skeletal skill it can not be set as aggressive. not a big problem anyway.

the last question is i notice i am playing hell 0.6.2.0, is this correct? i need to download the 0.6.5.3 update? just overwrite by paste the folder?

thanks in advance.

Still the numbers don’t add up to 10 times the damage, even with a very generous crit chance of 40% (that’s what I get when attacking level 1 mobs). The brunt of it seems to come indeed from Crushing Blow and that extra projectile then.

Maybe it’s just that I don’t really care about playing finished builds, I quickly loose interest in those. Looking at all the stuff I’d need to get for this char to perform properly and how long it would take to grind these out, I’d rather do something else instead. Unless there is a way to target farm a mob for let’s say Griswolds. But if it’s just a random uber drop then I’m out cause there is no way I’ll do this at 6-7 bosses per hour.

The concept of the hidden ubers is cool but they are basically one-trick-ponies. All of them (at least all the ones I fought so far) spam you with debuffs for the sole reason to prolong the fight. While I was typing this I was standing afk to Cthulhu and it took him several minutes to kill me with just my procs popping off now and then. That’s not what I’m looking for in a boss fight, if you would do that in PoE’s endgame encounters you’d be dead within seconds, no matter what build you play.

It was an interesting experience and it’s really impressive what you guys achieved with this mod, but I might stop for now and see what the future brings.

@ Pannathrax Yes, if you want to play current content you need to upgrade. Just be prepared for a huge jump in mob hp.

I see, i will try to update it.

i am not really a uber farming level yet i just only reach a low level sr, so i guess i need much more time to farm some equipment before i could try those boss.

hope to try out more of the d2 classes afterwards

Doesn’t sound like a interesting design choice either imo.

As far as the damage goes, sheetdmg is very unreliable so you can hardly use that for comparing the damage. Targetfarming for myth set pieces is done by killing worldbosses (not ubers).

I’m open for suggestions adding in new mechanics, if they’re within my modding abilities and GD allows for the mechanics.

A lot of new epic stuff. :grin:

It’s really just a completely different approach. The devs value mobility over everything, so you are kind of forced to constantly relocate during endgame boss fights. You can’t build a character with 100% block chance or 90-95% all resists over there, so you can expect to mitigate only so much damage. In turn you have vastly more raw power at your disposal than in Grim Dawn. So the fights are generally on the shorter side, but more dynamic. Anyway, to each their own, there is probably no right or wrong here.

I can report one last thing. I encountered a hero in Dry Hills, who was able to block my 4500 dps Zeal so effectively, that only around 120-150 damage got through each hit. Is a mob supposed to be that tanky in just the second act? The name is Gray Skull the Sharp.
Edit: Just encountered another one, Star Grin the Axe. That was an animal which obviously had no shield. Still I was only hitting for about the same amount, with no negative status effects on me. What is up with these mobs in Act 2 all of a sudden? I can’t remember meeting any of those in my previous playthrough.