[Mod] Reign of Terror

From what I heard, D2:R is using 1.14D of Diablo 2 meaning pretty much ALL D2 modding tools will be completely useless until if/when they get updated.

Did you hear that from me several posts ago? :wink:

Quite frankly that is not even a surprise considering that there were never any official modding tools released for D2 and everything is player made\hacked to my knowledge.

Bundle that in with the knowledge that D2 source code is gone with the wind then you can basically say that even this remake nearly amounts to a hack as well. Which it essentially is considering itā€™s merely a graphical layer riding over top the original. Youā€™ll even be able to toggle between the new and old graphics at will and instantly.

Yes, Iā€™ve watched alot of David Brevik interviews, at least 6 of them lately. He talks about how they lost their server data due to a bug in their software. The backup botched too. They had 3D studio max renders lost of all the character models.

So the way this mod currently is for Grim Dawn here, even if itā€™s not made a duplicate, it could still be used as a base for modding things up and even being more faithful to the original later, by other authors. But thatā€™d be super difficult. Still, easier to work with this as a base than D2.

Theyā€™re currently livestreaming Alpha footage of D2:R on GameSpot and I have to say that this mod still looks AND plays better.

Apologies if this has been brought up before but when I use a move that causes knockdown, such as the Paladinā€™s Charge, Corrupted Rogues have a strange reaction. They fall but immediately get back up in an acrobatic fashion, although apparently stunned. Is this intended or a bug? Anyway, thanks for this awesome mod!

Itā€™s due to missing knockdown animation on certain enemies and that is not something that can be added easily. Workaround would be making such enemies immune to knockdown, however this is all that can be done.

The build diversity exists on paper, but in reality many of those possible class combinations are just not viable/fun because they either lack damage or defense or even both (the latter is especially true for 2xGD). Only a select few combinations can provide both in ample supplyā€¦there is a reason why most of the latest op builds feature the paladin.

I really hope the next update will bring the different classes more in line, because itā€™s disheartening to reach Hell just to find out that your build is not up to the task. Which makes you either shelf the char or use third-party tools to try to fix it. It really discourages you from trying out off-meta builds, because class choices are permanent and leveling takes too long to try a niche build out on a whim.

Oh ok. I was curious about it more than anything. Thanks for replying.

Personally idk how i feel about the new diablo 2.It kinda feel like the final fantasy remake.Itā€™s like slapping a ferrari sticker on a fiat.Personally i like where this mod is going.At the start i thought maybe itā€™s best to remove gd content Butā€¦i am against it as it gives a better playstyle and more diversity.
I play grimmilion + dawn of masteries because of the class choices.
This is not a 1:1 copy of diablo which is refreshing.I have played many different games with diablo 2 mods.Non compare to this one.I like sacred 2ā€™s diablo mod But.The map is hard coded.I liked diablo mod for tq but it had a completely different map.So the work and dedication to this mod is much appreciated.
PS:BARB RULES ,.!.. :grin:

The D2 remaster they claim to release this year is NOTHING like the Final Fantasy 7 remake. FF7 is a re-imagining similar to how they did Warcraft 3 Reforged. D2:Resurrected is a 1:1 of the original game (D2) with only a few exceptions like extra stash space (so far, I heard there was a survey asking players what they wanted a month ago).

One thing I noticed playing Grimarillion the last few days is that the itemization always felt a bit flat compared to D2 and this D2 mod here. Itā€™s hard to say why. This mod feels like thereā€™s an improvement on items. Maybe itā€™s just personal preference, because I believe overall that base Grim Dawn items actually have far more diversity and game builds from those items, whereas this mod I think has greater diversity in actual builds from skills.

Addressing ChapterMasterā€™s comments about build diversity: Iā€™ve had 3 characters in a row in this mod that used Sorceress simply to boost elemental damage, and Iā€™ve had 2x in a row using Paladin for proper defense. I donā€™t remember them all as I havenā€™t played all the classes, but it seems Amazon, Druid, Assassin, Sorceress, and Paladin, at the very least, have good defensive capability in some form. Iā€™m not sure about the Barbarian as Iā€™ve not dual classed it yet. Necromancer is simply extreme power once you get over the hump regardless of defense. Once your DPS goes high enough for Necromancer your minions can aggro even the bosses and you are left alone, before that you will (more like could) struggle a great deal! One could argue Necromancer has defense in his curses (I donā€™t think bone armor really cuts it, LOL).

Maybe thereā€™s a way to ensure every class has better survivability? I think the main issue with this mod is difficulty, the extreme difficulty makes it even more difficult to balance, and it creates a finalizing blow to certain builds that donā€™t match the proper criteria for offense/defense. The offensive capability is certainly prone to great variation.

Is it possible to make werewolf/werebear work with paladin auras? or would that maybe be too strong?

regards and as always thanks for making this great d2 mod!

Iā€™m really looking forward to playing D2R as Iā€™ve never played the original. I love the visuals. It reminds me of those realistic pre-rendered graphics games like RE used to implement. The effects look really cool too. I think the game overall looks awesome. Iā€™m sure a lot of us will enjoy it.

Iā€™m still going to be playing this mod long after though because it offers something unique. Itā€™s its own thing. Where else can you play Diablo 2 with dual classes, masteries, items, and game mechanics from two games? I donā€™t see this amazing mod ever being replacedā€¦unless Grim Dawn 2 comes out and this team does another mod like this for it.

Haha, good one.

1 Like

Who knowsā€¦

unknown%20(2)

Iā€™m getting the notion that they are revamping the current engine for GD2 :scorv:

If you get lucky you might be able to get RoT working in it with ā€œminorā€ fiddling. Thatā€™s all guesswork at this juncture of course but I guess weā€™ll see what we see when we cross that bridge :smiley:

Pretty sure I remember one of the devs stating that the current engine is actually being held back because of supporting older tech (like DX9 possibly) which they did for the KS backers cause that was 2010.

Here is the relevant bit of that post in relation to your comment:

The thing that might have the biggest visual impact now would be to redo lighting and the way materials are rendered but that isnā€™t really feasible unless we move on to GD2 and leave all this current art behind. If we go on to GD2 and no longer have to support older DX version or existing art, then weā€™d be free to make bigger updates to the engine.

There might be other posts where he touches on the same topic but thatā€™s the first one I was able to find.

What I meant is that there is absolutely no way that I would ever do another mod like RoT for GD2. Especially after the recent events.

1 Like

You mean the D2 remake?

But yeah, either way it goes youā€™ve already put so much time (YEARS) into this mod. It would be kinda insane to start over again :smile:

Letā€™s just say that I am sick and tired of investing my free time into something just to find out few weeks later that it was all for nothing. Already wasted more than 2 months on fixing issues caused by various GD updates and now the latest one completely destroyed recently finished Crucible-like event which was supposed to replace SR in the upcoming 0.7 update for RoT.