[Mod] Reign of Terror

Without AoM you’ll end up stuck in act2. Without FG you cannot progress through act5, and cannot use any mobility skills (sorc teleport, barb leap etc) and will most likely have issues with a lot of other things. Having both AoM and FG is needed for the full experience

Thanks for the replies. Guess he’ll have to wait until he has FG (just started AoM) to do this. Of course, it’s worth waiting for. Been doing this since mid-Feb. and still blown away by the quality.

Good day!
First of all, huge thanks to RoT devs, have spend around 100 hours and still enjoying it! I have two questions:

1. How do one get mythical d2 set items?(myth. tal-rasha or myth. griswold for example). I have a lot of GD original mythical sets but no myth. d2 set items at all.
  2. What are the chances to drop 6 socket in a cow level? Done around 50 cow levels and only dropped 6 socket bow once.

Mythical D2 class sets only drop from world bosses in hell and from ubers. World bosses are the better ones to kill atm. Worldbosses are the hidden bosses that spawn in every difficulty (and dont have a zone-transition), ubers spawn only in hell and do have their own specific zone entrance.

6 socketed weapons are on the rare side. Cow level is a good spot for them however. I have been finding those from act3 nightmare towards however, so its definitely not limited to cows.

Thank you very much for the answer! Guess ill be farming ubers then :slight_smile:

As fuzzy said i’d recomment farming worIdbosses for mythicaI sets. some of them are very fast accesabIe. My route was act1 darkwood (there is 1 right by the waypoint). fIayer jungIe ( the spider right side to the waypoint, catacombs 2 ( the bonegiant), and act4 just outside the fort of heaven or whatever its caIIed it. takes Iike 5-10mins per run. do that route Iike 20-30 times and u gonna have your set.

Really impressive mod. But balance seems to be way off. D2 classes seem at least 3x more powerful than GD classes - unless this was intended?

RoT was originally designed to be used without GD content but since D2R announcement, that is no longer the case. GD content will probably be adjusted after the work on the existing RoT content is done. No ETA atm.

1 Like

Still wish RoT would get a version without GD classes and gear bloating and diluting the drop pool. Plus, what does D2R have to do with this mod? They’re pretty much just doing a 3D overlay on top of the original game. Pretty much same shallow everything as the original. Also, D2R is VERY likely to end up the next Warcraft 3 Refunded given their track-record.

Warcraft 3 Refunded nickname came about due to multiple assaults on game fans.

1. The original title was dramatically changed to match the new title.
  2. Modding was screwed over and taken control of.
  3. It was no longer the original WC3 people loved with missing features including laziness to animations in particular.
  4. Fans had false expectations and didn’t know it was a remake, they assumed it was a remaster.

So far D2:Resurrected is not taking this approach. My main YAWN has been an unmodded D2 is a boring D2, but they are doing an excellent job preserving the original feel. They claim modding is supported and you can change more things easily, but anything that can’t be easily changed (what they referred to as hacks) won’t be supported. So that’s a grey area for D2R. The fact is they modded the newest version of Lord of Destruction, which is incompatible with the modding tools the D2 community has used for the last 20 years.

I think Ram is referring to the fact that mixing Grim Dawn classes with classic D2 classes gives a different and unique experience to the D2 atmosphere, and that’s one reason it is not threatened by D2R.

There was a time in earlier development stages when I was seriously thinking about transforming RoT into full fledged D2 copy (including numerization and everything that goes with it) in order to have 3D “modern” looking version of the game as there was no evidence that the official remaster would ever happen. Now, there is no reason to do so and thus RoT takes the road of embracing GD and mixing it up with D2 elements for unique gameplay experience. The process of adjusting GD content hasn’t started yet so GD stuff is often underwhelming compared to custom RoT gear but this will no longer be an issue in the future so the argument about “bloating / diluting” the loot pool won’t be valid.

3 Likes

I gotta say Ram, I certainly admire the dedication with which you stuck with this mod (and still are) and it draws parallels for me to Crate’s own ethic of going above and beyond supporting GD - which is precisely why I have no problem fanboi’ing Crate. I believe I seen mention by you that you guys were also working on a game of your own (while simultaneously still working on RoT, no less) - if/whenever it sees the light of day I will gladly buy a copy. You’ve done an amazing job with RoT and that’s enough for me.

1 Like

The plan to create our own indie game hasn’t changed. @WareBare and myself have already dedicated significant amount of time to the project and just recently had to take a break for couple months to focus on other things. With that being said, we are close to getting back on track and continue where we left off, right after my work on 0.7 update for RoT is finished.

I really appreciate the support. All I can say is that we want to make a decent game which we’ll enjoy playing ourselves, otherwise there is no point in making it.

7 Likes

And this is why I’m forced to GD Stash all my gear when I try to create a new char. Almost never get D2 gear and the levels for stuff are wonky (Spirit shield Runeword is lvl25 in this mod but the 4-socket shield required is LEVEL 45).

It’s like that in D2 as well. spirit is a low level runeword but only paladins can get 4 socket shields at that low a level

This is not intended and will be fixed for next patch, meaning that a Spirit Monarch will have it’s original lvl54 required. I do not entirely share your experience with a lack of D2 items, I simply find plenty on both sides. As there are no pants and shoulder slots in D2, I’m happy those do still drop and runewords are very good for leveling as well (especially since you can simply buy the starter socketed weapons/helmets).

It’s partially this, although ‘threatened’ isn’t really the right word. There simply is no need for making Diablo 2 in a modern 3D game, as blizzard is doing that themselves now.
Now we’ll simply distinguish ourselves with having a mod with tons of extra’s. Meaning more build variety, items and content :smiley:

Thank you for the clarification, I need to remember to not feed the trolls, LOL. Meaning, the minute D2:R popped up someone said, haha, your mod is SO DEAD! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:

That’s why I was so dramatic. :smile:

I think they won’t be satisfied until they can mod the hell out of D2:R :smiley:

One observation when I started Grimarillion again for some atmospheric and environmental variety after playing this mod literally to death, is that the potions (or food) to revitalize constitution (if that’s the right word, it quickly regenerates you when you are no longer in combat and has limited supply) are quite rare. Is this intended to make it more like D2 and less like Grim Dawn? Or is it to increase the power and uniqueness of characters that actually increase their constitution for benefit? Or a bit of both?

Cant say for sure if there is any intention behind this, Ram will have to specify. But one cause at least is that in GD you find a lot of those clickable objects like food packs and dead bodies that keep refreshing your constitution. These simply aren’t present in RoT. If that was a deliberate choice… no idea. I think it’s fair though that only hero monsters drop them.:grin:

Yep, that’s intended.