[Mod] Reign of Terror

All mythical D2 Class sets drop only from worldbosses and ubers. Nowhere else. Worldbosses being the best to farm them. There is no difference in dropchance for worldbosses and which set/piece they drop.

1 Like

If you donā€™t look VERY carefully at the skill system/tree in each class, you can easily misinterpret how the skills are used or what skills buff what. An example is lightning sentry/death sentry. The lines connect the skills to show a skill path even though often previous skills are not required. As a result, a brief inspection of the skill tree yields little information. I often donā€™t find skills and their usefulness until after Iā€™ve been playing a class quite awhile. The D2 format simply doesnā€™t work in Grim Dawn. Itā€™s an ENTIRELY different game skill-wise, even though otherwise the game is strikingly similar to Diablo II.

Inspecting vendors in both Normal and Nightmare and Hell, I only see socketed weapons on sell and not socketed armor. I have in the past with starting characters, but when I actually try to go buy one all the vendors donā€™t sell them, only weapons. Is this intended to make crafting more difficult from rare drops to increase gameplay diversity and replayability?

I have found ONE Chthonic Seal of Binding for crafting in this current game. Some characters need those for crafting and some donā€™t. I donā€™t know of any consistent way to get these, it seems random and it is the ONLY resource that is rare in this game, despite that the items you craft with them are nothing special and other items require less rare crafting material. Offer them from vendors like other craftable items?

Assassin traps are EXTREMELY powerful. Having said that Normal + humbles even the greatest of heroes, so I donā€™t see a problem with it. It is extremely fun as well, LOL. :smiley: I gain levels VERY quickly and have spent very little time in Normal +. Iā€™d have died alot less if I actually played through more of the levels. :slight_smile: The power is in DPS only, but I am also using sorceress yet again as a backup class to buff lightning (I quit my Fist of the Heavens paladin due to boredom but it was otherwise still working), and that brings any type of spell damage style character using the elements to a rather high DPS level.

EDIT: The most difficult skills to find are those that have a mana reserved status. These are among the most powerful kinds of skills that ANY build could use (quite often at least) and it isnā€™t always obvious they are there.

I must be doing it wrong cause I tried a Trap-ssassin converting fire and lightning to Physical and the damage sucked ass to high hell.

I think DPS is a difficult thing with any character in this mod when it comes to Hell difficulty.

Damage conversion is more advanced than Iā€™ve done (including the base game unless the skill did it for me), it sounds great on paper so you can buff that one damage type. Of course, with sorceress, I can simply max fire damage and even add a second trap with fire if I want. :smiley:

Concerning my reflection paladin/sorceress, I simply stopped the character as I couldnā€™t maintain itā€™s uniqueness compared to a pure melee build. Iā€™ll just play that build separately some other time from level 1. I think reflection is powerful but doesnā€™t scale well in higher difficulties like using a base GD class (nightmare was too much for it as the game is so DPS oriented for survival, otherwise he was so tanky he could run through any mob and clear a quest fast). The build simply requires too many skill points to be viable without giving up alot, I couldnā€™t even put any actual points into frozen armor itself, nor could I put into armor for the paladin skills with reflection, just to keep up overall DPS. That was amplified with the passive armor/shield buffs being effective but was simply too slow as a damage dealer.

In this mod, you can really only focus on a select few damage types and actually scale them to be successful. Iā€™m still thinking about this type of build and the best reflection build I can think of uses it as merely base damage that doesnā€™t benefit the character alot, the exception being pets. Pet reflection may be great since you could make your necromancer or druid very tanky and heā€™d die much less, since shield skills go with it. Otherwise reflection seems very unexciting and Iā€™ll not talk about it further. :smiley: Just seems a shame since it was SO fun!

EDIT: The ONE issue with the lightning trap assassin was lightning immune monsters in the Flayer Dungeon searching for a quest item and the treant fellow guarding the entrance to Kurast. As my DPS was so insane with one damage type, I guess it was a good tradeoff to just run from those guys, LOL.

These lines are left-overs from how the original classes worked, and how the skill trees looked in D2, where the requirement was based on the skills, and not the mastery bar (although it can be made to have the skill as a requirement as well). This will be updated somewhat for next patch.

Vendors refresh their inventory based aroudn your level. So if your level is too high, you might have outleveled the socketed armor range. Else, just keep refreshing and hope one pops up.

Try this one. Old patch but little has changed for traps so it should still work well Youā€™ve activated my trap card (Phys Trapper) (reignofterrorgd.com) Some gear pieces and other skills have changed though (like lawbringer, mind blast and cobra strike).

Ok, i am at the end of my sanity here. I am playing on Nightmare, level 56, got to Andariel and canā€™t hurt her at all. It literally says ā€œinvulnerableā€ when i hit her, no matter how many times. At first i thought that she is just invulnerable at the beginning of the fight but even after 15-20 minutes of trying to damage her i still canā€™t hurt her. Is this a bug? Do i need to do something, some silly gimmick in order for her to become vulnerable? I inspected the whole arena while she was chasing me and found nothing.

Iā€™ve checked more than a few times from around level 48-49 and level 50 in Nightmare Act 1. No armor on sell, and I made sure I checked a number of times after doing runs to be sure. In Normal difficulty there were weapons with sockets all the way back to act 1, so those are NOT dependent on level, only the armor/shields arenā€™t showing up.

In Nightmare, literally 10 socketed weapons from Gheed. I go to the armor section, NOTHING.

Being around level 50 should be normal for getting to Nightmare, so I should be at a proper level to get socketed armor. It is my observation that IF you want armor to sell consistently at vendors, something needs to be fixed.

Someone reported a permanently immune andariel, because he had some other tool running as well with RoT. Something that removed all cooldowns, so she basically had that buff permanently. So if you are running any other tools, Iā€™d remove them for now.
If you arent running any tools:
She should be invulnerable for just 2 seconds, when she spawns the zombies. Afterwards you can damage her. For about 10 seconds till she respawns the next. If the buff bugs out, try remake the game, or use the ulo devotion to nullify/dispel it. Also make sure you are on 0.6.5.3, and not a different version of 0.6.5.x.

2 Likes

2 and 3 socketed armor pieces (chest/helm/shields) have ilvl of 5 or 20. So at lvl50 good chance you are already to high level. Max level socketed items wont be sold by vendors. Iā€™m not entirely sure, but if the vendors follow the same rule as in-game drops, you wont be seeing these anymore after lvl40 or so. I have been able to buy socketed armors earlier in the game so I could make my Lore/Radiance or a stealth.

Oh thank you, thatā€™s very useful information. I generally struggle with gold so I didnā€™t consider buying them early. Itā€™s possible to run out of gold if you need alot of heal or mana potions actually, after a big purchase. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s been a year or so since I fiddled with modding, and Iā€™m a bit rusty. Anyone got an idea to share on the easiest way to crack open the RoT arz file (in a way that wouldnā€™t muddle with any other mods Iā€™d want to load into the asset manager)?

Thereā€™s a few skills I want to check the code on [for example, if the Assassinā€™s Claw Mastery is applying to two-handed swords or not (since Iā€™m not noticing an adjustment on my damage output from it but, at the same time, the skill doesnā€™t read ā€œone-handed swordsā€) ] so I can decide whether or not they need to be pointed at in this thread (or if itā€™s just some misperception on my end), so I was hoping there was an easy way to dig into that.

Side-note, been playing a fair bit of RoT over this past year, itā€™s been a real blast. Thanks for all the effort that was put into this. ^.^
I especially enjoy how- for basically everything after Cold Plains/Burial Ground- the game starts noticably reimagining the settings, adding some charming handcrafted design to the locations. Thereā€™s a lot more of an immersive feel than in the original game. Though that meaninglessly circular road in front of the Monastary in Tamoe Highland was a bit bewildering :stuck_out_tongue:

Claw Mastery DOES state one handed sword or dagger. This means you can have one weapon and a shield or two weapons equipped and the skill will work. I havenā€™t used it, but thatā€™s the description. If you have one weapon equipped, itā€™s required to be one hand.

Iā€™m not a modder when it comes to the .arz file.

I may have an out-of-date version of the mod, as my version- as I indicated via italics- simply states ā€œSword or Daggerā€, without mention of hand. By standard formatting, thatā€™d indicate any type of sword would qualify, as no ā€œswordā€ category exists in the game seperately; There are only ā€œOne-Handed Swordā€ and ā€œTwo-Handed Swordā€ categories, both of which fall equally under the ā€œSwordā€ label.

Also, there was a reason I used that as an example of intention, not as an actual notation for direct consideration. By my indicating that I was looking for better resources for researching things on my end, that was meant to imply that I hadnā€™t done any secondary research yet [eg, such as checking against more recent update changes in the mod]. Honestly, Iā€™m not actually sure how you got to the kind of response you did, at least in terms of its presentation.

I do not understand my ā€œterms of itā€™s presentationā€ unless you tell me what those terms were.

Either you have an outdated version of the mod or you have another mod interfering with it. Your example of claw mastery is not accurate.

ā€œRequires at least a one-handed sword or dagger equipped.ā€ This is in gold to indicate the skill requirements.

I can certainly understand that is just an example.

Step one with reporting things: mention your patch number as it helps us (and everyone else who responds) with pin-pointing/troubleshooting.
A recent patch (I think it was the 0.6.3.1 patch) has updated many skill descriptions to be more clear, so it is definitely worth updating your version (most recent one is 0.6.5.3). That being said, skills function pretty much as they would in diablo2. So an assassin will use one-handed swords/daggers. Neither does ā€œHoly shieldā€ skill from paladin say it requires a shield but thatā€™s common sense for some, but for other it isnā€™t.
Easier than extracting the mod file from the .arz would simply be equipping a 2-handed sword, and then dump points in claw mastery to see if it applies.
Also, these kind of questions are quickly answered in the discord, plenty helpful people always hang around there. So unless you want to start adjusting it yourself, there are easier methods than extracting the arz to get this information.

Hello, very good, I wanted to thank you for the incredible work with this piece of mod, thank you very much !! a question when i start the game with the mod i put the texts in spanish the npcs do not give the missions nor do you see the texts when talking to them? could someone help me to play it in spanish with the texts? or can it only be played in English? Thank you very much in advance, greetings and thanks for this mod, incredible work

I have the latest version of the game 1.1.9.0 Sorry for the double post

RoT supports only English by default, using any other language from the options menu will result in missing tags/text. There is no fan-made Spanish translation for the mod to my knowledge.

Iā€™m sorry for the bad English. Playing this mod was a great experience.

I started the game without reading the build guide for self-challenge. I tried all the D2 classes, but finally the Assassin / Classic Necromancer became my character. Life Tap is very powerful and Tiger Strike and Venom seem to have good synergies.

The late game was literally hell, but defeated the Uber boss! I died over and over again on the Uber Tristram and it took me about an hour to defeat all the bosses. Probably my build isnā€™t strong, but Iā€™m happy with the results anyway.
It was a lot of fun looking for strong skills and strong items to defeat strong enemies. I think itā€™s a challenging and amazing game design! Iā€™m looking forward to the update.

1 Like

Friend has GD (latest) and may be getting AoM soon. Will RoT work with that at least to Diablo or is FG also needed?