[Mod] Reign of Terror

It’s a 1handed weapon

Thank you, I didn’t even have to ask. :wink:

Some feedback regarding Druid skills: I wanted a change from my summoner so I started another char, a Druid main.

I always liked vortex-like skills in arpgs, so I wanted to make Hurricane my main source of damage. Turns out it doesn’t work, because it ticks only once per second. That’s way too slow for a skill which should work more like a degen. In comparison Fissure hits 5 times as often and the fragments from Volcano can shotgun (all of them hit if a mob stays right on top of it). With Hurricance, if you move too fast, chances are that the mob won’t even get hit while in radius. This defeats the purpose of a damage “aura” and is surprisingly weak for an end-of-the-line skill. A decrease to a 0.2 or even 0.1 tick with adjusted damage numbers would make this skill so much more useable.

Then I switched to Volcano and that one bugged out on me pretty regularly. It just wouldn’t cast the skill, even though it wasn’t on CD and neither was I stunned or out of mana. The cast animation played, but nothing happened. Then I moved a bit further and all of a sudden it worked again. I didn’t find out what the cause for this was, but it became unplayable because it might stop working when I was in the midst of a group of mobs and that’s that. It also didn’t work at times with no mobs around, so enemy debuffs are also out of the question.

Somewhat depressed I scrapped the Druid and used my second specialization, the Sorcerer. I went with Lightning Hydra and all of a sudden everything just died instantly. I was even able to casualy kill worldbosses while leveling, something I was never able to do before with this ease. On top of it the skill is stackable, 100% safe and can reach around corners. This is a night and day difference compared to the druid skills and I can’t see myself trying a spellcaster druid again after this, it would probably feel awful.

So in short, I wish the high-level druid spells would feel as powerful and effortlessly as the Hydra does :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Tick rate of auras is fixed. Cant do much about that although hurricane will receive a minor boost in damage. Volcano has a limit to how many you can active, to prevent breaking the game with spamming them and shotgunning stuff. However, if you run away from them still active, it goes in a loop (it’s how GD does things, also for enemy animations), and as such it will prevent you from casting new ones. So let it finish the animation before you sprint away.

One of the strongest ToA farmers someone made was a druid+sorc, using armageddon and volcano.

Ah, that explains the weird behaviour of Volcano, thanks. I’m so conditioned by other games to be constantly on the move while leveling, that waiting for some skill to end before continuing is something I have trouble with. Sad to hear the tickrate of damage auras is fixed, that relegates them to support skills in my mind, even with a damage boost.

I absolutely don’t deny the power potential of Volcano, but ToA is a completely different beast. Everything takes place in this tiny enclosed space, whereas regular levels are vast and mob groups are sprinkled all over the place. What might work very well in the Trial might be clunky and slow for leveling. With Hydra I can go at about 2-3 times the speed than when I was using druid skills, I never ever have to stop except for picking up loot. That’s what I was referring to when I said it might feel awful going back.

On another topic: Since you kept the constitution mechanic from the base game, is there an indicator somewhere to see how much of it is left?

Nope, wasnt possible with the UI rework.

Like fissure is much better than volcano, hydra is better than firewall while leveling, this is hardly something that can be changed unless damage values go up (too much) for the early points. You’ll always have this small unbalanced while leveling any character.

Since I talked about food it’s literally everywhere, so at least now you can refuel your constitution quite often. Initially it was made rare on purpose, but with the measurement for constitution being gone, it’s nice at least I don’t worry about it as much now as before.

Upon reaching level 100 and completed all quests, i’m beginning to get more mythical items, while most of them are all right, vanilla GD items with mythical prefix are showed green in the inventory, but they are not set items, really misleading. Why ? I don’t thnik it has anything to do with the game update patch.
Here are few pieces in the collectiion, there were more, i didn’t take more screenshots.

screenshot031

RoT has colored the Epic item quality to green, legendary to gold. Some items showing green is just an artifact of GD epic items which aren’t set to legendary quality yet. Set or not has nothing to do with it.

No, it’s not about the color, If you look at the picture, it says right there, “set”, that’s why i didn’t understand, but i get what you mean now.
All set items in RoT are set to epic quality, while leaving all uniques to legendary quality. Basically “Set Item” has its own rarity now. Unlike GD, which has both epic and legendary set pieces. Totally different route.
Hope i understood it correctly, interesting, so that’s why you guys moved all those GD items into RoT mod arz, only you didn’t include all mythical epic items, ok, i’ll try to move them on my own and change the rarity to legendary myself for now, takes a bit of work, but it truly feels weird to have green items in unique stash.

OK, i’ve done it, let me take a wild guess, maybe you guys didn’t copy all items from all expansion files? For example “Berserker’s Cowl” is form gdx2 mod files, but it is not in RoT mod files, so didn’t get changed at all, it can only be one reason.
By the way, although the color has changed, the cost formula stays the same, so they still sell cheaper compared to REAL legendaries, i changed this also.

I just realized there is no “items/upgraded” folder in vanilla GD, only in expansions it appears, so there were no mythical epic items back then? The game really did have changed a lot.

Mythical Epics came with the release of AoM I am pretty sure.

I bought the game when there were no expansions, but i didn’t even finished warden, though i still bought the two expansions when they came out. it is at this year 2021 that i finally decided to finish the game, maybe i was simply feeling trying to do so, or maybe it’s because of the “Pandemic Event” that occurred in the world right now.
Well, at least i didn’t make a bad decision on this one.

-% skill mana cost doesn’t seem to affect skills that have an active mana cost or reserve mana. Is that intended and if so, why? If my char gets better at using magic (lore-wise speaking), he/she should also be able to use those particular skills more efficiently. I don’t think it could be abused either, because you only have access to so many auras on any given char. Those skils should be affected in some way, even if they don’t get the full bonus reduction.

Earlier RoT version had all GD items imported and their Unique / Set quality set properly. However, I was tired of repeating the process after every GD update and that’s why they have been left by default until there’s a final GD version.

Fair enough, every mod in every game i played had this kind of problem, also one of few reasons i don’t like playing heavily modded games on steam, recently though i’ve learned a new way of re-patching games to old versions, but it only works when games don’t rapidly updates itself once every week or day.
Though GD might just have it’s final version very soon.

You can easily acquire recent builds via my steps here… and it is a simple matter to “reinstate” those builds regardless of how often a game gets patched on Steam - by simply re-copying what you downloaded back over any updates that come thru.

An alternate method would be simply to copy the entire install directory somewhere else and then if the game receives an update you don’t want to jump to, well, simply paste it back in after an update. Which requires a bit of foresight and initiative to do so ahead of time. If you miss that boat, well then, my method above can help you acquire it anyway.

it’s really because of the mechanics of the game, in diablo2 you can switch auras rather quickly(no need of casting), in GD it’s more clumsy to change auras on the go, but put them all together would simply be mad, like PALADIN, you might get a new build called AuraDin. Actually that’ll be fun to be honest.

But Paladin has almost all exclusive skills, you couldn’t run those together anyway. I also know pure aura builds from other games like PoE, but there all skills can be used by every class. That’s not the case with RoT, so the abuse potential would probably be limited to a few cases, which could be dealt with accordingly. It just feels wrong to exclude certain skills from a bonus that is hard to come by in the first place.