[Mod] Reign of Terror

Fairly close.

With that being said, upcoming 0.7.3.0 standalone release has been delayed multiple times already for various reasons and that is why there won’t be any more ETA announcements until everything is ready for public release. Final release will be version 1.0 so there’s still a lot to do.

GD features are and will be a part of the mod. Not using them to your advantage is completely up to you. There are builds which should be able to complete endgame content even with such restrictions due to not being properly balanced, however this will most likely change with future updates.

8 Likes

that’s good news :slight_smile:

Hello, is there anyone having problem with Guided Arrows? It dosnt happen anythinh when i use it… please help me if you know how to fix it :slight_smile: Mvh

You should use “Guided Arrows” on enemy, not on empty space. Skill looks funny with pistol :laughing:

is it possible to suggest some median xl features for the mod?

Anyone is free to suggest new features to review, however we have limited resources and anything that isn’t in line with our own vision or would require extensive amount of time is unlikely to be implemented.

how about merging both worlds of diablo with hellfire and diablo 2 lod?

RoT already has both campaigns. Just without Hellfire expansion because I haven’t played it and thus there wasn’t any incentive to include it.

if interested in hellfire its on gog

Late reply, but there currently is an issue with Coldworms belt that causes guided arrow to not function. And as Alex mentioned, you need a target. You cannot shoot them into empty space like in D2.

Am I missing something or is this just the mod balance? I cannot for the life of me getting decent AR nor defense. My highest level character currently is necro/necro and I am at a perpetual 60-70% chance to hit at all with no chance to crit and am as high as 25% chance to BE crit with 100% to be hit in the first place. Normal+ felt reasonably good (even if lots of enemies felt spongier than necessary) and now am in Nightmare act IV and it’s kinda ridiculous. I am pet focused hard and using bone spear with poison explosion currently as my attacks with one point each in the Amp Damage line (and a minimum +6 all c.necro skills). I have no where I can get any more reliable AR except lucky gear drops because a single point in dex doesn’t even move the needle. Even getting AR in devotions and I can barely do a thing. I am at a complete loss. About 1800 AR and Defense at level 69 on my way to nightmare Diablo and it just gets worse every region. My currently normal+ frenzy barb by contrast isn’t quite as bad right now (normal+, again, felt ok overall just mostly too much enemy HP) but even there feels like I can see a lot of missing and I am adding points to everything I can that adds AR or reduces enemy defense.

On another topic, are the mod creators aware Battle Orders turns off merc auras?

On another another topic, are they running any balance passes in future updates to buff base game gear/classes? Feels kinda weird thinking “Hey, this could be a good upgrade when I can equip it” and then find something 20 or more levels less in requirement that is twice as strong.

There are many non-skill related AR/Defense sources in the mod such as gems, runes, devotions, enchants, mercenaries and most of those are very easy to obtain. Another source of these and other useful stats are Monster Infrequents (MI). Each super-unique type enemy in the mod has a chance to drop a specific MI.

Normal+ is recommended for experienced RoT players (preferably with pre-stashed gear) who seek extra challenge and that is why enemies have higher HP.

Known issue, fixed in the upcoming 0.7.3.0 release.

Mod balance is continuously being adjusted and buffing the base game content is part of it.

In addition to what Ram said above, sounds like you’re mixing casting + pets. I’d focus on one or the other. So drop the pets and go caster, or other way around. The class combination you have chosen is short on the AR side, but Life Tap and Spectral Armor add some.
At lvl50 you can buy Survivor’s Ingenuity in act2 (Drognan). Every act sells the GD augments and are visible once you reach the required level (40 for act1, 50 for act2 etc) always at the magical vendor.

This is also part of Diablo 2’s original customization where Sigon’s set, for level 6, is one of the best starter sets, and half of Immortal Kings set is level 29-31, and other pieces then jump up to 76. The level requirements for D2 items (including runewords) hasn’t been changed.

Quick tips for gear to look out for, Grim’s Burning Dead weapon and Vampire Gaze helm. Those will make your bone spear very strong, if you want to keep using it. Also I recommend using Bone Harvest’s last modifier for a strong boost for your pets (if you aren’t already). Best mercenary for any AR related issues is the Act5 Frenzy+Battle cry one. A pet build however might do better with Act4 Offensive mercenary.

I appreciate the replies, but I am already utilizing all those things (though can’t say I’ve seen some mentioned uniques/sets drop yet). I am focused on pets first but need at least something that I can use as an attack and PE mixes in perfectly with bone spear. The problem I am having with the mod is that in base Grim Dawn it’s practically impossible to have such bad AR or defense that you consistently miss or get crit by enemies. In RoT, I’m grabbing every possible available bit I can find (including for my pets) and some regular uniques are such an absolute mess of misses that it takes them ages to kill. I’ll kill act and side bosses faster. Just encountered Thresh Socket on nightmare for the first time and after like 5 minutes I get him to a 3rd of his health (because he seems to have 95% resist all and ten thousand defense) and he started regenerating so fast he remained perpetually at a third of his health until I gave up. And I’m using Soulburn, feels like it never triggers or is broken because every enemy that does gain noticeable regen or leech affects doesn’t seem to be affected whatsoever, which includes normal mobs. I killed Diablo in 2 minutes tops for context and the Frigid Highlands side boss in 5 tops.

I’m using Prayer act 2 merc right now because of how strong the regen is for my pet life and my mana, I’ll have to see how life tap+blessed aim act 2 or offense act 4 feels since I’m not sure 1+6 points in the amp damage line really seems to do anything noticeable. Not sure where I will fit in added mana regen or leech, though, because I burn through my mana faster than potions cool down without prayer merc.

Some hero monsters, Tresh socket included, have more resists than intended. So this is one of the balancing issues that’s being addressed coming update.
If you want cast something yourself I can recommend going for ravenous earth, and especially the last node and replace poison explosion with this (also considering upcoming update you wont be able to use poison explosion anymore the way you are now)
Lastly, for more in depth tips, if you want, you can hop on the RoT discord and post a GrimTools link there.
That said, the campaign is more difficult than basic GD, that is intended, the exact balance of things is still a work in progress.

Doubt I’ll have enough points to do much in GD Necro, I only have spectral binding and the base skeletons and their first passive improvement node. I’m mostly classic, I just wanted a massive skeleton army, and it sounds overall like it’s just balancing more than anything else (like Thresh being insanely overtuned because I can almost tank him but can’t kill him) and if need be can find something else to add to bone spear or just buff bone spear a few more levels. Since I am focused pet I fully expect my spells won’t be amazing, just the fact that AR and Defense seem impossible to reach good levels with. I certainly am not having a hard time at any rate, just not sure if balance or missing something, and sounds mostly to be balance.

A bit more about Hellfire. The reason it’s in alot of D2 mods is because it gives people extra monsters to put in their mods, and different environments. Some hated the expansion, like Brevik that programmed D1 and D2 because the theme didn’t match and also because the balancing simply wasn’t there, but some liked it.

There’s much less incentive to put Hellfire in a Grim Dawn mod because this mod is in 3D and many of the assets don’t actually come from D1 OR D2! Another big difference is that most D2 mods used beastiaries from both user created 2D animations and games like Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale.

I recently figured out how to get Open GL with CNC DDraw instead of glide running on D2SE mods (put the files required in both the mod folder and under all the file versions D2SE has for each mod, as they are swapped to the main folder for gameplay, and you configure the files in the mod folder only). That allows for 4-5k resolutions in D2 scaled to whatever your monitor resolution is, and with a filter from CNC DDraw, it looks stunning. On my 1440p monitor I have 8x AA and 8x supersampling AA with 200% sharpen and 1% smoothness so it doesn’t get too sharp, and for me it’s the ultimate D2:R experience with the 2D graphics of the original (joking, it’s not D2:R).

Then I figured out how to add a larger inventory for Requiem of Sorrow to make it much more playable, and then I took the hireling data from inventory.txt and pasted it into inventory.txt from the inventory mod, and now the extra items on hirelings in the mod works as well (I used to play it with bugged hirelings before I figured that out).

As a result I’ve played several D2 mods. I started with Back to Hellfire that errors out in act 5 with the second to last quest, so wouldn’t recommend that (used fan made patches and everything, which are required or you’ll never get past act 1 with unhandled exceptions). It had Hellfire additions of course.

Second I played a newer modded version of Hades Underworld, as it’s one of the original big mods after LOD in around 2005. It’s problem is it’s too time intensive sorting through hundreds of dropped items from a single elite pack, otherwise it would come recommended as the gameplay is riotously fun. Sadly, I can’t recommend it.

Requiem of Sorrow is so far really doing it for me on /players 8 (it can go to 128 if you really want…) and in nightmare it’s insanely difficult with 8 player mode but very rewarding. It’s harder than Reign of Terror so it’s good for that specific itch, otherwise RoT is the best D2 mod out there, hellfire or not.

The original D2 graphics in such high resolutions are stunning, because many of the D2 assets are close enough to HD textures, that the resolution increase and filters dramatically improves visuals, though the lighting is still lacking dynamic effects. If you don’t use DSR with a graphics card, the filters to CNCDDraw are pretty ugly. When I remaster graphics in old games like Doom and Wolfenstein, I’ve moved up to 8k scaling, as that works the best (not needed for D2 as the assets are realtime rendered instead of through photoshop and the assets are higher resolution).

can someone pls tell me. after all quests are finished on hell difficulty. whats max lvl and how many stat-talent points do we have?

From a quick estimate, I’d guess AT LEAST 324 skill points at level 100, that counts skill point rewards that I can actually remember. :slight_smile: You get 40 points from 90-100 but would have to farm to get that high. Of course, 100 is the max.

99 devotion points.

Stat points are plentifiul from quests in addition to the standard level up.

I’d guess you’d be under level 90’ish if you complete all main story quests. It entirely depends on how much you have to farm to be viable in Hell. The usual incentive, because devotions are tied to quests, is to push forward. That can make the game very difficult in Act 4, 5, or 6 if you aren’t prepared. Difficulty in normal first playthough should feel more challenging than usual.

Can’t wait for the upcoming patch (actually I can, LOL).

Man, I don’t remember when was the last time I was that hyped, and we’re talking about a mod!

Release date, when? :wink: