[Mod] Reign of Terror

Too soon to say. There’s various issues caused by 1.2 which I don’t think are too hard too fix. The difficulty to fixing them comes from the limited time me and Ram currently both have.

I don’t know the full extent of what else Fangs of Asterkarn will add which might interfere with how it’s currently set up. The re-rolling of affixes might be something for how blacksmiths are set up, and tweakable potions might have some effect. But it’s pure speculation. Shapeshifting is something I think will be fun, but I’m curious how that’ll work with skill availability in a dual class system. Other than that, it’s awesome for Druid’s, but i’m mainly more excited for the Trang-Oul set once again letting you turn into a vampire (always was my fav in d2 :wink: ).

I installed the files just as described in the guide and it does not work. Wanted to get back to GD after years by trying out this mod.

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\ReignOfTerror

That is the file structure on my own system where I have Grim Dawn installed and how the directory setup for the install should be.

Database, resources, and video should be directories (folders) under ReignOfTerror and maybe a text file with them.

Then you go to custom game and select the world file and the mod will load after creating a character.

Yeah, but that’s due to the recent game update, I’m pretty sure, mate. Right?

I’ve seen texture funniness and some bugs that whilst playable was too much for me. But we can all be patient whilst these geniuses update the mod … because when it comes back it will be sahweeeeeeet. :slight_smile:

Somehow I totally forgot that. I actually stopped playing, so I am not sure if it is playable. I’m waiting for a patch. I had to play Grimarillion first to learn the new mechanics, it was patched quickly as there’s much less to patch, and then I never got back to RoT to see!

My mistake. :smiley:

But perhaps not. “It does not work.” isn’t sufficient information to troubleshoot. I assumed the mod wasn’t loading for him at all.

exactly, it’s not loading at all

Hi. I managed to launch the mod for the very first time and played it a bit. I completed act 1 but the game is unplayable from this point onwards.

• In Lut Gholein the floor and the background are completely black with missing particles, just the NPCs my character and the buildings are visible. Restart does not help.
  • Some items on the ground don’t have names and instead it shows some error in the code.
  • Nothing stacks in the inventory.
  • Healing potions cannot be assigned in any way to the quick bar.
  • Unique or set items are white so if it would not be for the sound and the icon on the map, I would have never knows that a unique or set item just dropped.
  • Leveling speed is ultra fast at the beginning and is super slow later in act 1. In the first two maps ( including Den of Evil ) I went from 1 to 15, but eneded up around 23 when completing the whole act.
  • 20/20 Maxed out both Skeleton Warriors and Mages dying in act 1 is ridiculous.
  • Blood Moor and Cold plains were almost a copy paste and true to the original which I really appreciated, however further maps looked randomly put together and had no resenblense whatsoever.

Overall I am not sure what to think about this mod. I really appreciate the effort put in to this and seeing that this post was created back in 2016 I probably missed out on a lot. I wish I knew this existed back then, would definitely enjoyed it much more than now. But I don’t see any reason to play this today over D2 Resurrected. Especially when it is so buggy.

Also as much as I loved Grim Dawn overall with the first expansion when it came out ( spent over 400 hours on Steam ) the game in my opinion did not aged well and the graphics today are horrible which is a deterrent for me in almost 2024.

I heard that a new expension is coming in 2024, I just hope that it won’t run on the same engine with the same graphics.

Currently not supported for 1.2
Please switch to 1.1.9.8
Waiting for updates

@MaroK The game no longer has healing potions. :smiley:

EDIT: Try assigning heal to a quick key. It is a skill now with a cooldown!

As already mentioned, you have been playing on GD patch 1.2, which broke certain things, like the experience, item tags, colouring and big parts of the map.
As far as “true to original,” in D2(R), the entirety of act1 looked a copy paste, dark wood having some more trees than the other places. Here, places have gotten a touch-up to look similar to their name. So the black marsh is actually a marsh. If that’s something you dont like because it’s not faithful to D2, D2R is indeed a better option, as there are more of these changes. Like a dual class system, attack rating needed for spells, etc. This mod is not a copy paste from d2, its now it’s own version with tweaks and additions, to make it stand out/co-exist alongside D2R, and not directly compete with it, if you will.

That said, revert to 1.1.9.8 and You’ll have a less buggy experience, or wait for the update of RoT to make it work properly with 1.2.

The mod on version 1.2 is bugged, but when I rolled back to version 1.1.9.8 I stopped getting experience for anything O_O

Indeed and that’s what I really appreciate about it. It has its own DNA, which elevates it massively over just a copy-paste job into a different engine.

For me it is actually the polar opposite of what MaroK feels like. I tried to get back into D2 with Resurrected, but they did so little to modernize it that I eventually gave up on it. Keeping old-school mechanics just for the sake of “staying true” isn’t something I’m willing to put up with nowadays. Time moved on and so did the games, the original D2 is not the pinnacle of ARPGs anymore.

The only thing I’d really like to see added in RoT is a more engaging endgame, Trial of Ancients feels too static to keep the motivation up. A map/rift system, which most major ARPGs have implemented in one way or another, would keep the tedium more at bay. Zooming through maps can be fun regardless of loot, while ToA merely serves as a gear check and goes on for way too long even as a boss rush mode.

I can understand why you got rid of Shattered Realms, it felt disjointed to find yourself back in a GD setting all of a sudden. But the pacing of that mode was, at least to me, much more pleasant. A couple of (short) maps, then some boss fights. Bursts of speed interspersed with some tough fights, that’s engaging to me. Whereas in ToA you either have a build that can do it, then you stand in one place and wait for stuff to die. Or if you don’t have a good enough build, you frantically run in a circle and in the end fail anyway, since there is nowhere to hide and everything charges you literally right out of the gate.

So I guess I’d like to see a Diablo-flavoured version of Shattered Realms. But if I recall correctly, Ram mentioned a while ago that SR also had to go because they needed the resource space for Act 6/D1. Oh well, a man can dream though :sweat_smile:

I have good news for you then. A workaround is possible to add SR in despite the lower tile limit. So it was a WIP. But… since 1.2 the tile limit for mods has doubled, so we might not even need that anymore.

More endgame variations will make it in, eventually.

2 Likes

My char went from 97 to 82 and I lost a ton of items after downloading the 1.2.0.0 patch and going back to 1.9.8.0. Anyway to recover?

That’s great news. I am a bit confused. I did think I thought it said the map sizes were doubled, but when I went back and saw what a developer posted, it said the tile limit was the SAME and that the only thing that doubled is how large a level memory buffer can be.

Or perhaps the tile limit is the same but that it was bugged before and now it is easier to work with. I heard years ago the tile limit, as it was before 1.2, was due to a bug.

Now this mod definitely needs an update to a version compatible with the latest version of the game (mainly due to the quality of life - automatically turning on buffs, etc.), as well as bugs with gaining experience, losing levels when jumping to a “lower” version of the game. Can we expect it soon?

So I either read different former patch notes or I misread them. Here’s what I found. I believe that means the tile limit MAY have been increased, but the new areas are taken up by the new DLC.

" * The world map size limit has been increased from 2gb to 4gb. This should dramatically increase the size of mod maps you can create, but be aware that Crate will be using up some of that new space if you plan on modding the campaign map."

I remembered them apologizing to those who had campaign modifications, but I can’t currently find that. It was a different posting.

EDIT: Now reading it again, it means something different to me. LOL. I’m not entirely sure what it means.

I guess it means the tile limit has been increased…

:rofl:

It’ll be released as soon as it’s ready. Me and Ram are very busy atm so I cant say exactly when that’ll be.

4 Likes

Thanks for continuing to work on the mod, its among the best of the best.

1 Like

LOVe YOU SO MUCH!