[Mod] Retaliation on ranged mobs - working for 1.0.2.1

The original “Make retaliation great again” mod unfortunately wasn’t updated for the expansion.

I managed to mod the latest Game.dll so retaliation builds will continue to work against ranged mobs.

This was done on the Steam version. I don’t own the GoG version but happy to share some hex info so someone can release for GoG as well if needed.

Download Steam Game.dll: https://sv1.uk/grimdawn_retaliation_1.0.4.0.zip
Download GoG Game.dll: https://sv1.uk/grimdawn_retaliation_1.0.2.1_gog.zip

If you want to mod Game.dll yourself:

Steam - Game Version 1.0.4.0
Go to address B2580
Change 75 18 to 90 90

GoG - Game Version 1.0.2.1
Go to address B2240
Change 75 18 to 90 90

Holy shit, thank you so much!

I found the line, but the sequence you said we need to change is not here. On line b22e0 its: 7c bb ff ff 8b 4f 04 8d 85 90 fd ff ff 50 8l cl
If you can help, it would be might appreciated ^^
Edit: I have the GoG version

Send me your Game.dll and I’ll see if I can make a GoG version.

I will post a link with my game.dll in a second, i need to rack up post count first :))

If possible, can you explain to me how you found the necessary hex to edit? And why edit it the way you did? Thanks ^^

Andh finally, heres the link :))

Position B2240 change 75 18 to 90 90

Download: https://sv1.uk/grimdawn_retaliation_1.0.2.1_gog.zip

Should work fine. Let me know if not :slight_smile:

Works perfect man. Thanks a bunch! You are awesome!!!

Hey there, thanks for doing this! I have a quick question, and it is probably dumb…

I am starting to play a ret build. I don’t have any experience with mods at all, so want to know what i ma getting into here.

If i install this mod, how does that affect the rest of my characters/game? For instance, do I have to choose the mod instead of the standard game, and does that mean I will have a different stash/shared stash than my other characters?

Is there anything that will be different for me other than the fix to range enemies if I install?

Thanks!

Hi,

No difference, it just means when a ranged mob hits you, they will be hit by your retaliation. You can swap your original Game.dll back in at any time without any issues.

It doesn’t affect your character save at all, so everything will stay the same whether you use the modded Game.dll or the original.

Craig.

Thanks for the response Craig!

Last question, I think I know, this doesn’t modify how spell casters are dealt with? that remains the big downfall of ret, correct?

Not too sure I understand your question, but yes, it is a big downfall of a retaliation build. They wouldn’t be viable without this mod IMO.

When a spell caster hits you, retaliation will hit them with this mod on. It works with all ranged, whether it’s spell or arrows/whatever.

I just completed the expansion with my original retaliation warder this morning. Didn’t die once and killed everything pretty quickly. DPS isn’t amazing, but then I still have all legacy kit still and haven’t adjusted devotion etc.

This sounds great. I wonder if the devs could be persuaded to implement retaliation on ranged mobs officially.

I’m assuming it would be necessary to update the game.dll every time there’s a patch?

Yep, it’ll be necessary to update Game.dll every time.

Normally the address stays the same unless it’s a huge patch. If you take note of the strings and addresses in that area (maybe take some screenshots) then modding for the next patch will be simple.

You could even use something like BeyondCompare, which will compare the hex values of the old Game.dll and new Game.dll and show you where the differences are which will make modding the new one easier.

I’ll probably mod mine anyway though, so will update this thread when needed.

Is there any update?

Thanks

Steam version is updated. If anyone wants a GoG version, just send me the latest Game.dll

Would a mod update the original thread title for me please? :slight_smile: If you could just remove the version from it, that’d be good as I will keep this up to date when requested (as long as it’s possible).

hi there. really interested in this MOD!
I was wondering can this mod work with other mods?
Right now I’m using grimescape mod. Not too knowledgeable about this mod stuff yet sorry.
and where would i find the game.dll?

Yeah it’ll probably work fine.

Game.dll for Steam is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn

I would suggest you get my Game.dll and compare it to the Grimescape Game.dll (if they’ve changed it) using BeyondCompare and try find the memory addresses I mentioned in my original post, then edit the relevant value.

sorry but what is beyondcompare, i tried googling it and searching it on forums and it returned nothing but your thread here.