[Mod] Slow Leveling

This mod reduces experience gain and shrine count to return the game back to pre-expansion days, when you had to play through Normal, Elite and a bit of Ultimate to get all your abilities. Nowadays you can level up to 85-100 with 47 out of 55 devotion points just by playing on Normal, which is an absolutely terrible progression. I enjoy taking it slow, clearing all content, and generally enjoying everything that early- and mid-game have to offer, so I made this mod for myself.

The game with the two expansions has at least double the content now, so I couldn’t quite stretch the exp and devotion evenly between the three difficulties without turning it into a drip feed, but now you can be high level with max devotion by the end of Elite, instead of Normal. The journey to power takes two difficulties, and then you get one last difficulty to hone your build and just enjoy being at your best without it getting old too soon.

This mod is rather simple. I learned most of the stuff from GD forums and the outdated Slower Leveling mod on Nexusmods. Disclaimer: I haven’t played far with it yet. This mod was made for GD version 1.1.9.8. Using it on newer versions might revert some changes to 1.1.9.8. I’ll try to update this if it becomes incompatible with some future patch.

This mod requires the expansions. Should be compatible with anything that doesn’t overwrite or override the same files.

Features:

• Reduced exp gain from kills: you get 10% of kill exp, +3 flat exp so you can actually level up at a decent pace on those level 1 zombies in the beginning. Added a +1 flat exp version separately, which I’m using right now. Theoretically, if you level up to 50 in the vanilla game, 10% of that exp would get you to level 25, so it’s more like a temporary 50% level decrease, if you get what I’m saying. You’d be a bit higher level than that though, as I didn’t reduce every source of exp;
  • Reduced exp gain from monster totems: you get 10% of it. That exp is an unnecessary bonus to something you want to do anyway;
  • Reduced the amount of shrines: disabled most of the shrines that are sitting in the open, enabled all the concealed/difficult ones. Still kept a bunch of easy ones in Act 1 so you can get a Tier 1 constellation before your first act boss. There are just enough shrines to max out your devotion by the end of Elite, if you’re up to the challenge of getting the most difficult shrines. Ultimate still has every shrine active. I’m open to suggestions on the shrine selection. Shrine list.
  • Removed exp gain from the Crucible and the Shattered Realm: now you can kill things and earn loot without devaluing campaign content;
  • Reduced exp gain from repeatable bounties: you get 10% of bounty exp. You can grind that reputation without getting overleveled;
  • Changed Potion of Clarity effect from +100% exp to -100% exp: in case you want to stop exp gain for awhile. Didn’t touch item exp bonuses.

Quests, shrines and some other stuff still give full exp by my choice.

Installation: extract the contents of the archive into your Grim Dawn directory with overwrites. Launch the game via a shortcut with a “/basemods” argument added to it, like so: “\Grim Dawn\x64\Grim Dawn.exe” /basemods. Each file holds one or several features, and you can use any combination you want:

• databaze.arz — 10% kill and totem exp, less shrines, Potion of Clarity;
  • quests.arc — 10% bounty exp;
  • scripts.arc — 0% exp Shattered Realm;
  • survivalmode1/scripts.arc —0% exp Crucible.

I’m the guy that posted the complaint about the state of leveling in the current version of the game with expansions. In case the mod is incompatible with a future patch and I’m not around to fix it, 1.1.9.7 version of the mod on Nexusmods has the loose files included so you can replicate the changes.

The mod is also available on Nexusmods.

07.08.2023 Updated the formulas for other difficulties

Slow Leveling mod.zip (140.3 KB)
Less flat exp per kill.zip (22.4 KB)

6 Likes

Really interesting stuff, I hope it will indirectly make bosses harder.
I assume the exp decrease also affects devotion levelling ? Getting devotions later with much slower levelling might make them reach max rank a long time after hitting lv100

Also what do you think about modifying low level MIs to make them scale over levels, so they don’t provide an absurdly overpowered damage boost ?

Yes, exp gains are the same for the player character and devotions.

No opinion. Experience gain and devotion are pretty much the only things I’m interested in altering.

After killing every single living thing at least once on my way to Warden’s cellar, I entered it at level 15, which is just right. I was a bit underleveled in Gutworm’s lair and one of the garbage dump caves, but it wasn’t a problem. Got nearly killed by a trio of champion mutant dogs near Burrwitch that were higher level than me. I’m quite pleased with this so far. We’ll see how the exp formula holds up further down the road.

For my part, I downed Krieg at lv13.5 and Cronley at lv18. So far on the way to Homestead at lv22.
I’ve been skipping some sidequests since they give too much experience in comparison, which goes against the concept

1 Like

@Monceaux Are you still playing with this mod? What’s your experience? I haven’t gotten to Cronley yet, myself. I’m busy battling my War Thunder addiction, and I’m losing.

I had pushed to Darkvale but I haven’t touched GD in some time so the playthrough is on a hiatus

Thanks for sharing this and for the hard work you put into this project! I’ve been playing with this mod for a couple of weeks now and would like to give my feedback on it.

I’ve only applied the decreased monster experience modification, so I can only give feedback on that portion. I’ve made a few different characters with different levels of progress into each. All of them were on hardcore mode, with some being fully normal playtime and some being fully veteran playtime.

Overall I like the pace a lot. The slowed leveling has quite a few impacts on gameplay. My personal favorite is probably that it’s made the item hunt during leveling fun again, in two ways: I often found items whose level requirement was higher than my current character level, which made me want to progress further in order to be able to use the item; and that (being in hardcore mode) I would sometimes need to pause my progress through the campaign to take some time farming some item upgrades.

The other big impact is that combat is much more difficult since your character is lower level than they normally would be for any particular area. In my playthroughs this had the biggest impact at lower levels, and seemed to get better around the time of reaching Cronley. By then I typically had an MI or two relevant to my class that helped a lot, or just enough skill points to make my build more effective.

I’m also a fan of the reduced devotion points. It makes each point feel more valuable and unlocking a new devotion skill feels like a godsend at times.

Some constructive criticism/suggestions for chance:

For many of the classes I tried, veteran mode seemed a little too difficult. Progress was extremely slow early on and bosses in particular were a slog. It was doable by rushing to certain skills, such as Ravenous Earth, that deal large amounts of area damage. I found that melee characters in particular had a more difficult time due to lack of decent items early on combined with reduced skill points compared to the normal game. I’m not sure how you would actually fix this, but it’s something to consider.

When installing the mod I intended to try out the reduced quest experience at a later time, but haven’t yet gotten around to it. Currently without it I love that quests feel extremely valuable again due to awarding a large (too much) amount of experience. Side quests actually feel worth doing as I play through the campaign. I hope that after applying the reduced quest experience mod that this feeling stays.

I’m curious what your future plans (if any) with this mod are. Thanks again for putting this together. Cheers

1 Like

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Things feeling more rewarding is exactly what I was aiming for. I don’t plan to make any further changes to the mod, and I can’t really think of any. I was able to replicate all the features from the outdated exp mod and to implement all the changes I wanted to add to it, so I am content.

When installing the mod I intended to try out the reduced quest experience at a later time, but haven’t yet gotten around to it. Currently without it I love that quests feel extremely valuable again due to awarding a large (too much) amount of experience.

There is no quest exp mod, I wanted to make quests stand out with their original exp rewards. I might make a version with reduced rewards at some point, if there’s more demand. Only repeatable bounties have reduced exp rewards currently.

For many of the classes I tried, veteran mode seemed a little too difficult. Progress was extremely slow early on and bosses in particular were a slog.

The solution is to rely on component skills as your main attack in the early game.

Ah, it seems I misunderstood the different components of the mod. Thanks for clearing this up. In that case, I’d offer the suggestion to shift a small amount of the quest experience onto monsters while keeping the leveling pace the same as the current version. I think this would help smooth things out while still keeping quests reqarding. There were a few times that I’d turn in a batch of quests and get mote than a full level from it, which feels excessive to me.

I’ll give this a try on my next playthrough. Thanks for the suggestion!

Was it intended that the devotion cap was decreased from 55 to 50? I don’t see this mentioned in your initial post.

It looks like some of the “Randomizer Weights” were also modified in gameengine.dbr, such as rarePrefixNormalSuffixEliteModifierCommonChest. I’m not certain what these do, but based on the names it sounds like they’re related to drop rates of rares. Nevermind, I was comparing to the base game values and not the gdx2 values. All is well :smiley:

The devotion cap is still 55. Are you unable to get the 51st point or did you forget to cross that part out?

It seems I somehow got the base game DBRs mixed with the mod ones. I replaced them with a fresh copy and all is good now. The woes of hard mods :rofl

I’ve updated it for 1.1.9.8. It’s no longer a hardmod, but a basemod. It was quite easy to update since I had kept the edited loose files. Hopefully this makes it compatible with future patches. Crucible exp tweak is still a hardmod though, because Crucible overrides basemods for some reason.

thanks for all the hard work!!!

it works on 1.2? also it would be nice to have the experience gained from quest reduced. And could you make a version with all the shrines available?

Hey, I’m not following Grim Dawn right now, I’m waiting for the DLC. I’m not going to do anything with the mod until then. I’m not sure if there’s any need in this mod anymore, since they made it easier at level 1-50 on Elite and Ultimate for new characters in 1.2. Maybe it’s better to just start on Ultimate now.