Monster HUD font is too big

Dear Crate, thank you for an awesome update! The new difficulty for Veteran, fx changes, balance changes, the new renderer with performance gains, autolooting…those are fanatstic additions to an already great game!

However, one thing I don’t like in the new patch is the size of the Monster HUD, specifically the font size. It’s too big. It takes too much space on the screen, and depending on the positioning of your character, it can block your view of enemies completely. I also think the gothic font is not a great choice, because it’s not as easily readable as the older, plain font. But the size of it is the main problem.

I would like to suggest that you consider changing it in some way, primarily reducing it in size, beacuse at the moment, it’s extremely distracting.

Thank you very much for your hard and excellent work!

4 Likes

I would prefer if I could disable that part of the UI, or at least remove the health bar from it since I don’t need this information twice.

The font could also be smaller. The whole thing is just so big.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree

1 Like

I do love the new design, but I do agree it could be just a little smaller

1 Like

what if someone plays without health bars? Then they would need health bar when targeting

1 Like

another vote for decreasing the size of these fonts. they are comically big. I’m not even a fan of the new diablo font, but would at least settle for something smaller.

Exactly this. I don’t like the healthbars directly over monster’s head, so I definitely need this Monster HUD. But now it’s taking like a fifth of the screen (ok, maybe not that much), which is way too much.

I agree, the font is too big.

Here’s a quick mock-up of what I think would look better and easier to read:
hpbar
Monster name under the HP bar, font size same as race name.

Also monster descriptions like “Arcane” could be in a different color to make it more readable. I consider these descriptions more important than the name or race of the monster (especially Arcane, anyone who played high SR knows that I mean)

4 Likes

I agree, your proposal is good.

+1, GI looked better tbh

I want the old font back, this “ghotic” font is not meant to be read fast. I am a teacher and if I had this font in my powerpoints no one would be able to read them :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Good point. You cant really appreciate the aesthetics of the monster’s name font when you need to kill tens of them every few seconds

Exactly, so what’s the point of being fancy in the first place… :stuck_out_tongue:

I do like the font style but I agree all those serifs and stuff make it harder to read. The good ol’ plain font was better for quick assessment.

That gothic font is good for something you don’t often have to read in GD. Like locations names. But not for monsters HUD

2 Likes

The rule of thumb is

• Essays/novels and instructions should be written in font with serifs, like Times New Roman
  • Quick information should be written in font without serifs, like Arial
2 Likes

Don’t think that is a matter of serifs. The shape of the letters in that font differs from standard ones to which most players accustomed to. Especially not english native speakers.

Times New Roman is the gold standard, in my opinion.

We read fast since we see words as a whole. This “gothic” font no one of us has grown up with and we thus have to read each letter individually.

So yes, it is a matter of having experience with the font.

Why was it so important to change the font of the Monster name and stats but not these things? :stuck_out_tongue:

If the argument was “it is ugly and outdated” then be consistent and change font EVERYWHERE :stuck_out_tongue: