Monster Infrequent Affix Drop Rate Discussion

Do not mess with @RektbyProtoss regarding math, I am his teacher!

2 Likes

I was going to ping you yesterday but I guess I found some of your relevant posts.

Confidence level is a funny thing.

1 Like

The changes to drop rates will surely help but will not solve what is imo the biggest problem.

The problem with getting good MI is that affix pools are bloated (imo). Weapons, off-hands and some jewelry have endless combos of prefixes such as “[Mastery]’s” or similar ones like “Arsonist’s” or “Theurgist’s”. All items have lots of rather useless suffixes such as “of the [Animal]” and endless combos of “of Spellwieving” and such. There are also zillions of magic prefixes with different combos of resistances.

So even if single affix drops are removed and the chance of rolling rare affixes adjusted, it doesn’t change the fact that 99% drops will still be vendor trash. There are just too many affixes.

I totally agree with the premise that double rares should be hard to get. But in order to increase QoL of farming good single rares propose a big adjustment to the chance of rolling following magic affixes:

• of Readiness
  • of Attack
  • Stalwart
  • Aggressive
  • of Alacrity
  • of Celerity (and possibly merging it with of Alacrity)
  • flat damage weapon prefixes such as Chilled, Charged, Corrisive etc. (and possibly adding some %dmg to them)
  • single dmg type suffixes such of Ruin, Frostbite, Decay, Corrosion (and possibly removing of Spellwieving altogether)

I also propose removing certain affixes that serve no purpose like single res magic prefixes with bloated numbers such as Sheltering (would also fix the problem of immortal human bosses), and others.

10 Likes

Totally agree everything you said on double rare. But getting things like Alkamos rings almost consumes all my luck in the whole GD universe. On the other hand, ppl don’t use shoulder MIs because it constantly gets in the way of utility of a set. Maybe in GD2 set skill can be redesigned and activated by 3/4 or 4/5 pieces instead of a full set.

Sad thing is a few hundred runs we luckily get one, later all over again get us a same one, what luck.:expressionless:

Vanquisher Hat?? I believe it’s 5%. It’s purely tough luck on your side.

Impenetrable can still be quite useful though…

Most of this, however there are a few things we would like to note:

“Rediness” please do not remove or reduce chances on medals and jewelry as the numbers are really good in shoring up low da/oa.

“Spellweaving” yup hard to find any reason it should stay.

Single res is similar to spellweaving

Mastery named affixs: A lot of builds, which use greens, that we run actually use these non rare affixs to cap skills. One example is the SoC green MI scepter that one group member uses that has the Occultist prefix with +2 destruction. Please keep these.

Otherwise great post.

All the magic resistance prefixes should get tuned up to match the values seen on shoulder affixes (jk that would be too much)

And what about having magic affixes drop only till level 94 and after that level only rare affixes will drop.

That is just another way of saying every drop should be a double rare and then we’re at the point of double rare MIs being more common than legendaries, thus subject to balancing and the whole purpose of the item ends up being defeated.

I don’t see a problem with them being common. There are so many combinations that dropping what you need would still not be easy. A lot of builds use them. People will gdstash them until they are obtainable easily.

What all is wrong with some people GDstashing the items?

Well nothing. But it shows a mistake in game design. If they would drop often most of the combinations would still be crap. So I don’t see any harm in it.

Please elaborate, how is it a mistake in game design to have items whose power levels reward heavy time investment?

It should not be huge time investment (reasonable one) but cleverness when you create your character and your pilot skills. But if you like spending 1000s of hours going after double rares to get you specific combination. Well ok then. Fun in this game is in theorycrafting and playing those builds and not mindlesly farming something.

A game designed around getting loot for builds has a bad game design because the most powerful items are the most rare? The hunt for loot is part of the design.

Yes if it can be obtained. Otherwise no.

Obtained by whom? Taken broadly this could mean someone with only ten minutes to play GD every day would be given the loot equivalent of GD stash.

Pointless discussion. That’s not what I am saying. You like this state of things. OK then… I will continue using GDstash

what if the items that you GD stash did not even exist? what if double rare items were impossible to get? would you still do it? Just because something do exist does not mean that you have to have it right? Play with the stuff you have instead.

I would have stopped playing a long time ago in that case.