MS OneDrive is shit!

So today my worst nightmare happened. I am playing in the Crucible and all of a sudden I get a message that pulls me from the game to my desktop: Deleted files are removed everywhere, with a prompt to not show the reminder again. I hit got it and go back to my game. It happens like every five seconds, and I start to notice that the file that was removed to the OneDrive recycle bin is a GD file! I am now thinking what the fuck, so I exit GD and and start messing around in OneDrive. I notice there are a lot of GD files in the Onedrive recycle bin, so I am very worried. I make a backup immediately, name it Grim Dawn2, and put in the GD backups folder. I restart my pc and launch the game, and ffs, I see my characters from 4 months ago. All the progress gone! I am beside myself, can someone please help! I even restored the backup I just made but it is the same, no new chars only old ones!

let ppl that might be able to help know if steam cloud is involved.

Steam cloud is disabled

What is this bin? Can you restore from it?
(but don’t immediately restore if you can, maybe emptying Grim Dawn directory is needed beforehands)

1 Like

Yes you can restore from it. I sadly already did when this happened.

Update: I think the problem was my game files being saved automatically in OneDrive, when the storage was used up it started deleting files because it couldn’t store them. Now I have to figure out how to move files from OneDrive to local, and then I will disable the fucking thing. Funny how Steam uses OneDrive automatically.

It’s more like OneDrive just decides on its own to start saving stuff as far as I know. No idea why it does it.

Can you see the dates the files were created/modified in OneDrive? That might help you find the most recent ones.

The only folder you should need is the Save one, that will have all characters, stashes, etc, in it. Back that up and then clear everything GD related out to OneDrive’s recycle bin (don’t empty it yet), then put the Save folder into My Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn. Check ingame if it’s seeing that folder properly; if so then delete the stuff in OneDrive. That should work I hope, but I’ve never had the problem so this is pure speculation on my part.

1 Like

Basically yes, One Drive by default saves anything in the My Documents location - and this behavior very much will cause issues with GD. You either have to go into its settings and tell it to leave this location alone or disable it from running at startup.

Also, Steam doesn’t use it. This is all One Drive aka Microsoft default behavior.

1 Like

I personally would like my Settings to go to waste - keybindings and video options.

So I uninstalled OneDrive and moved over my files. I think I messed up something because I am still missing stuff in my stash, but I will get it back via GD stash (once I figure out how to install it) Thanks everyone for your help.

Hello, I created an account just to post this. When I had a Macbook Pro, it would save everything. But what it would do is assign a file name of twenty gibberish characters, and stick it in the HD. I believe the reason for this was that the HD would fill up quickly, forcing the enduser to create or buy more storage. One of the reasons I won’t ever use a Mac again.

1 Like

It is, like most such programs. Most load the system as if they were to be the only program on the PC

1 Like