My honest as fuck opinion about GD and comparison to TQ part 2

new = bad
old = good

1 Like

I just want everyone here to recognize that THIS:

…just so happens to be one of the greatest lines written here in some time now. Congratulations Grava!

9 Likes

Yeah i understand what you mean. I had the same folks with Diablo 3 as aquaintances who put a few thousands hours in it, and then complain how bad and trash it is… only for them to play the game again with the next season. I’ve no issue for people to dislike a game, either if it’s one which i like or not… but this whinning about how bad a game is, but than play it for such an long time and keep playing kinda piss me off… and i can happily admit that i avoid this kind of people when i’m in voicechat on friends discord…

That sure sounds like an addiction.

1100 hours in. I’m STILL learning so much about this game. Yesterday over on the Reddit channel I met someone who has almost 6500 hours in. They’re still learning stuff about the game.

If I spent 1100 hours in a game only to realize I didn’t like it, a) I’d be very sad and bitter as well and b) I’d take a good long long looooooooonnnnnngggggg look at my own ability of discernment. Long look.

Seriously, for your own health, move on. Go do something else. Don’t come back and read the thread or any other threads. You really should take better care of yourself.

2 Likes

Oh no. Please! Anything but another expansion! :wink:

1 Like

Maybe, sadly i know some weird people. My cousin is even worse… @ times when he have a girlfriend, he trashtalk every Gamer and argue how everyone who play videogames waste unneccessary their lifetime; and than he sold his own videogame stuff like consoles and such… until he break up with his girlfriend, re-buy consoles and videogames and claim this is the best thing ever…

#topic
+1 to expansion, though i understand if devs are too burnt out to add another.

I kinda was in that position myself. First I was kinda upset with the game sucking and all that, that the new leauges are just pseudo-content bla bla bla. Then I realized that I can actually just stop playing the game, no one is forcing me to play diablo 3 :stuck_out_tongue: And some time after that I had this kinda feeling like “hey, I actually liked Diablo 3 for what it was, but I will never play it agan”

Not sure if it was/is an addiction, perhaps more comfort-ability - “why should I spend hundreds of hours trying to play a new game when I am already pretty good at?” (in this case Diablo 3) Perhaps afraid of getting out of a certain comfort zone, idk.

Yeah though this guy also playing PoE. I don’t know what his actually issue is, maybe he is also simply a masochist, idk… but i never played anything for a long time which i really didn’t dig, and even for games which might be weaker from my viewpoint… i would never played more than a few hours if it doesn’t atleast entertain me.

And yeah i do know some people who force themself to playing games, but i don’t find it healthy. From my experience such folks begin at some point to question, why this “popular” games are so liked but can’t like it by themself… and due no-one wants to admit that it’s your own “fault”(if you consider opinion and taste as “fault”) due they simply don’t like / enjoy the game… but than rather blame the community and devs. Similiar vibe like this guy…

@Grava
And yeah, that’s what i think myself most of the time as well if i read such topics and backlashes. And i’m surprised how well Zantai & Co are able to deal with it, because i certainly couldn’t, which again shows that i wouldn’t be a good developer because at a certain point i would only go with “eat or die”.

Sunk cost fallacy. You see it all the time in MMO’s, so much so that if you just visit the forums, you wonder if anyone actually likes the game. Here, I thought being a composer was rough, when it came to armchair critiques. :confused:

I have ignored username for quite a long time and I suggest you guys to do the same. Honestly I always wonder why the mod haven’t ban him with his toxic mentality and spreading misinformation while being so loud.

1 Like

honestly, i think gd and tq’s gameplay feeling and rewards are pretty similar. only with different world settings and a little difference of mechanics here and there. but to me one of the biggest difference between them is:

-gd community (at least the vocal ones in here, reddit, discord) leans toward what builds are the strongest/fastest/safest for clearing crucible 170 and sr 75. this is the racer groups that dominate gd forums. but there are other few quiet groups (that also represent significant part of gd players even though they are unseen) wanting to enjoy the game casually in their own way.

-tq community is mostly casual in many forums i see. most of them are confused about the tq mechanics (because there are many misleading/outdated tq websites/wikis/guides). the only reliable source of tq veteran and helpful guides is titanquestfans.net. there are a few hardcore veteran tq players there that have small competitions for endgame and they’ve also provide a lot of useful information on how to enjoy and master tq. i think communication problem is also part of the problem why tq community is scrambled and not as enthusiastic as gd community. i’ve seen many tq players struggling to communicate in english (or they don’t talk enough to make you feel engaged in the tq community).

in the end, gd still has the edge in gameplay over tq. though in charm department those two are like apple and orange. both are fruits, with different taste. for my final thoughs, the devs of gd and tq have different priorities and target audience.

crate caters much more to gd racers because they are what makes gd stay dynamic. the racers are active in providing feedbacks (some are constructive, some are personal rants).

nordiq THQ and pieces interactive are struggling to make tq in line with modern arpg features while adding new contents and fixing bugs. this makes the tq dev prefers casual players, since like i said above, the tq racers are too few (though they still provide great feedback and support to the community), but the big number of casual players is what makes tq stay alive currently. even though they mostly just play tq without much thought about THE BESTEST BUILD EVAH.

regardless of my explanations above, you can enjoy gd and tq casually. but of course you should still seek guides in their respective forum if you want to have fun casual experience with viable builds in mid game and late game gd/tq.

I heavily disagree with this. The gameplay in TQ at this point just feels dated, clunky and lacking any dynamic feel. It’s one of those things that is better illustrated by just playing both games back to back.

GD is also much more rewarding in terms of loot drops. Some people might consider the game too generous, and i kind of agree to an extent, but i feel you still have to work for your stuff. In TQ for contrast, hardly any legendary drops and that’s farming the legendary bosses (Talos, Hydra, Manticore and Dragon Liche) and Secret Passage. The loot drops are just horribly low for legendaries.

i can still get some enjoyment with TQ, but during that playtime all i think is that i could be playing Grim Dawn. Because i find that game the much more fullfilling experience in terms of combat and loot drops.

3 Likes

yes, that’s bad wording on my part. what you said is true. i was refering to the base mechanics of the gameplay and rewards. things like armor, percentage resist as defense, resistance reduction, the way damage/pierce conversion works, adcth, monster infrequent drops and specific farming routes. maybe ‘pretty similar’ isn’t accurate. its more like both game has similar foundation on gameplay and rewards, but gd being more heavily developed and updated frequently, makes gd’s gameplay mechanics and reward system better than tq.

1 Like

that is pretty much impossible

goodbye then, this was a long time coming

optional changes that are beneficial ? You do have odd taste

I never cared one bit about Crucible, if you do, then that is your own decision

3 Likes

As a filmmaker I can certainly commiserate with this.

God damn I hope this doesn’t turn into a “Fast and Furious” ordeal of endless sequels. One is enough thanks.

1 Like

Good to see you Grava :grin:, you should show your face on Dev stream more often.
A rule?? So all the post Zantai has replied is merely a self-learning AI interface??:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Why so bitter, sir. Why let the seem to be trend play you instead.
When someone has posted a build, we too have the will to decide not to read it and react.
Same goes to any negative reply we’ve read.
Competing with others leads people nowhere, ego is life only true opponent.
I never (or avoid) read Build Compendiums in case it ruins my fun crafting my own builds.
Or theory craft any build only for the sake of Crucible and SR.
They are testing grounds to see how strong our builds are and provide loots.
Without testing in harsh situation, no one or Crate would know where to look for tune up.
You can play any style you want in GD, at the same time providing feedback about their pros and cons.
In the end if this game has caused you nothing but pain,
it’d be better finding yourself another diversion or taking a break off this wonderful mess for a change.

To be honest, I’ve tried TQ 3 times. Every time I quited it after being in the game about 20 hrs.
It’s a good game with good stories. But somehow it never grows on me.

So much negativity.Man i have the new tq and it’s worst with the new qol as ever.After new expansion it takes for ever to level up.It’s just not fun.I like fast paced games reason why i play mods as it gives me the challenge i desire.I am not the greatest fan of the original GD class but GD class with other mastery classes.Yes please.If you don’t like the game then GTFO…Instead of causing unnecessary drama.

1 Like

You make some valid points but if you didn’t generally like grim dawn in the first place I don’t get why you stuck around for so long hoping things would change enough for it to be favourable for you. Crate is a young developer and even though they were involved in other titles they are still learning as they go, its the same with all small game developers as they evolve. I’ve been a gamer since 1985 and played thousands of games, ive seen what has worked well and what hasn’t over the decades, Crate did the right thing in drawing from the elements that so many older ARPG’s succeeded at, by no means is the game perfect but it’s a pretty damn good debut.

Ive seen games in the past where the developers listened too intently to the upper echelon of hardcore gamers and as a result games ended up steaming piles of garbage. I think crate has done a pretty good job of listening to the community without giving into the whims of a select few players who are dictating what they thing the game should be according to their own tastes. Things could be done better but, hey crate is a small developer! Give them a chance to learn. You can’t make everyone happy.