My Observations of Crucible While Trying to Skip/Cheat it

I had until recently only ever played crucible for the achievements.
At that time the logical progression of unlocking each difficulty (Aspirant, Challenger, & Gladiator) and each “checkpoint” (50, 100, & 150) were unlocked in the proper sequence.
Now I thought about if it was possible to skip or cheat my characters to these 3 checkpoints & how to go about it. Here’s what I have learned thus far in this endeavor.
If you have a friend join you and they have any or all of the checkpoints for any or all of the difficulties and they start at say 150. The both of you successfully complete the crucible and your character is NOT awarded any of the checkpoints.
If your friend begins at 100 and the two of you successfully complete the crucible you ARE awarded the checkpoint for 150 after successfully completing that wave. You are however NOT awarded 100 because the first wave is actually 101 NOT 100.

Finally if your friend begins at 50 and you successfully complete wave 100 & 150 you are awarded BOTH checkpoints but NOT 50 as the first wave is actually 51 NOT 50.
It seems to me that this is programmed in such a way to avoid people from easily skipping/cheating their way to these checkpoints.
I have since spoken to @Odie about his tool gd-edit in pursuit of my goal. It seemed the best tool for my job.
Upon opening a character you can see there are a number of crucible (survival) tags that reflect each characters progression in that game mode. I will list those as follows;
greatest-survival-difficulty-completed : 0 (asp),1 (chal), or 2 (glad)
survival-defense-built : 0 (number of beacons & banners purchased)
survival-greatest-score : 1000000 (high score)
survival-greatest-wave : 170 (the highest wave successfully completed)
survival-powerups-activated : 0 (number of buffs purchased)
Making an edit to greatest-survival-difficulty-completed of 0,1, or 2. Is instantly and correctly reflected in-game by allowing the corresponding difficulty to be played by the character edited.
Making an edit to survival-defense-built will not reflect in-game for anything of substance. There is however an achievement for having built X number of them (I can’t remember how many now).
Making an edit to survival-greatest-score does show in this character editing app but the high score board in-game does NOT display these scores IF they are actually greater than those already there.
Making an edit to survival-powerups-activated will not reflect in-game for anything of substance. I also believe there is NO achievement for them as well.
Finally the field that looks the most promising and seems to be clearly labeled as the one that I need to change is survival-greatest-wave.
Obviously on any character that has NOT yet played crucible the default value is 0. However ANY edit & save of this value whether 50, 100, or 150 does NOT make it so that your character will begin at said checkpoint for the first time if starting a crucible game.
:frowning:
Odie notes in his faq that there is a special case in his app with regards to character level. As there are actually 3 different values that need to be set to the identical number for the desired level to be set. Those are as follows;
character-level
level-in-bio
max-level
ONLY If these are all set to the same value will the desired level be reflected in-game.
He thinks that there must be another value in the character file somewhere that needs to be set perhaps identically as this value we see here.
I concur with this thought as all and any changes to this variable alone have never given me the results that I expected.
I also have tried to “downgrade” the few characters I have successfully completed crucible with in an effort to see if that could in fact be reflected in-game. It does NOT.
I’m now hoping that some of you more experienced players/programmers than I can help me determine if this is in fact something that easily and quickly be done via gd-edit or any other tool that is able to read/write to character files or not.
I really hope that the solution is easy to find and will be forever grateful to those that are able to help me out with my request.
Thank you very much for your time in reading & for any help that you may provide me.

1 Like

You could mod the game quite easily to be able to always start at 150 but the quickest way I’ve just found and tested is to unlock the console in Crucible and use the command that grants your character permanent access / token to 150th wave. PM for more details.

1 Like

a note on crucible checkpoints
a way to decently increase your boost in cruci is to grind/have 100 tributes
buy 4 lvl 3 towers
then uprun to wave 130, earning you 100 tributes on the way, then buying the 4 buffs
and then clear cruci 150-170 and do the restart at checkpoint cycle
that way you get 4 maxed level towers throughout your cruci farm, legit, and doesn’t cost you that much effort, and ofc you get the 150 checkpoint a long the way anyway :+1:
just a diff pov