New PC for Grim Dawn

$140 for 500GB Sata vs $220 for 500GB m.2

With his budget of approximately $850 and given his needs, spending the extra $70 doesn’t make sense.

Almost the same, and yes there in no reason to buy SATA SSD when you can purchase NVMe M2 960 EVO

spending the extra $70 doesn’t make sense.

so spending extra 70$ on CPU make sense, while it barely do anyting and spending extra 70$ on SSD that is 8-10 time faster dosent? I don’t get you, ppl :roll:

You’re making some very ill informed statements sir.

It’s a matter of resource allocation and bandwidth.

In all standard applications such as day-to-day and gaming, you will never notice the difference in speed between an SSD that reads/writes at 550/500 vs an M.2’s increased speed.

While, both in short-term and long-term, the benefits of investing in a heftier CPU are well, well worth it.

Anyone that says “there’s no difference between a Pentium and an i5 in gaming” is either in denial and/or grossly misinformed.

Don’t buy now.
New Intel CPUs will be released soon and will change everything.
New i3 will be better than current i5, at the price of current i3. New i5 will be better than current i7, at the price of current i5.

You really should wait a bit (1-2 months) and take an 8th gen i5.
If you can’t wait, Ryzen 5 1600 is the best choice.

(Moreover, waiting a bit can also help for the CGU, as the new Vega seems to be interesting for miners so they may be buying less mainstream CGUs when more stocks of Vega will be available. But it may also not change and the mainstream cards will stay expensive.)

I whole-heartedly agree with this 110%!!!

I’m personally eying the i3-8350k.

4 real coffee-lake cores unlocked, for approx $140?.. Sheeeeet, SOLD.

This i5-750 has treated me insanely well, but with coffee-lake, the IPC has finally almost doubled since I bought this old bird back in 2009 heh

I mean no disrespect, but the difference between NVMe SSD and SATA SSD is almost the same, as second-gen SSD vs HDD. Load/Save time is noticeable, as well as overall system performance due to much shorter latency and better IOps on random read/write. =)
Cant say the same about CPUs . But mb I’m missing something?

It all boils down to the size of the files you’re “thrashing” around on a constant basis.

As an example, since upgrading to my 840 Pro is 2013, I have not once thought… “Damn… hard drive is slowing down the works”. The difference between a platter drive versus any kind of flash-based storage is a real game changer. I will give any man grief who is putting a build together and selecting say, a WD Blue HD as their system drive lol.

Yes, M.2 is certainly sweet, but unless your crunching massive files for say, content creation etc, you’ll never notice the difference.

Don’t get me wrong, if this guys budget was say $1,200 instead of $850, I would recommend an M.2 drive without hesitation because “why not” heh.

As for why he should invest in a stouter CPU, there are many reasons.

I could dedicate a page to explaining it, but basically look at benchmarks and the way gaming is headed towards true multi-core processing etc.

I can’t in good conscience recommend anything less than a 4 core CPU anymore. (unless you’re a “just browsing the web”-type user)

Anyways, let’s try not to derail OP thread heh.

If you, OP, can wait till late Oct / early Nov, please do so in order to take advantage of Intel’s newest offerings.

If your old machine died and you can’t wait 2-ish months, my question is this:
Do you intend on reusing your PSU and case?

If so, I can alter my recommendations. If not, go with the build I linked you earlier in the thread…

No, let’s not :slight_smile:

I can certainly wait a few months as it’s not died yet but I do want to pass it onto my kid, so won’t be re-using the PSU and case…

Looking at ebuyer.com for UK prices, I’ve found

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X AM4 Retail Boxed Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler £120.98
MSI AMD B350 TOMAHAWK AM4 Socket ATX Motherboard £95.98
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black £171.16
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Card £279.98
Corsair 650W TX650M Gold Hybid Modular Power Supply/PSU £68.99
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5inch SSD £151.95
NZXT S340 Elite White Gaming Case with HDMI VR Support £74.86

Total £963.90 - maybe parts are cheaper in the US?!

Well, then wait =) I hope Intel would stop the current pricing madness with diminishing returns on expensive CPUs.

That’s still good CPU. I have [email protected] Lynnfield PC, circa 2008, with whooping 4GB RAM, and all parts but SSD from that era. Bonus points for 1280x1024 resolution.
In my case any upgrade would be upgrade, it would seem.

It’s my understanding that yes, parts are indeed cheaper here in the US.

The main issue at the moment is RAM prices, they’re severely inflated for everyone right now due to various reasons… (Mostly your typical supply/demand malarkey)

Also, it’s practically impossible to find a decent graphics card at MSRP due to crypto-mining but hopefully that’ll pass sometime this quarter etc.

The rest of the prices on your list appear legitimate in my opinion.

Yeah, if you told me 8 years ago that I’d still be using the same processor in 2017, I’d say you’re full of it heh

It still blows my mind…

The only part I’ve had to replace due to failure was the PSU. But that’s to be expected after 6-ish years of service I suppose…

So if I am going to shave off some costs, where should I start - mobo, PSU, case and hard drive but keep the chip, memory and gfx card where they are?

Any idea what price the new chips are going to be?

Realistically, there isn’t much to “shave off”.

I wouldn’t buy a Corsair PSU, their quality has gone to sh*t.

Something like this is infinitely superior (and cheaper with rebate):

Besides that, the only way you can save any worthwhile amount of money is something like this:

https://pchound.com/UVDr4u/

You don’t really need more than 8GB of RAM at the moment, and you can always pop in another stick later etc.

The real cuts were to your SSD drive (which I supplemented with a 1TB spinner) and your graphics card…

A 1050ti is about 60% as fast as a 1060, but it saved you almost $120.

As for processor prices, it should cost exactly the same to get a 4-core Intel as a 4-core Ryzen… (i.e. $140-ish)

New intel CPUs come with a single chipset option z370. I bet MB price would start at 120$ or even more expensive>_>
CPU is the best place to shave=) You can start by searching one on aftermarket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i5-6500-Quad-Core-BX80662I56500-Processor-ONLY-Used-Great-Condition-/302437083653?epid=219436111&hash=item466aa7aa05:g:LUcAAOSwcg9ZqinQ
its extremely unlikely that CPU will ever die, so you don’t need warranty on it.
Second place - mobo . cheap LGA 1151 on H110 would do the same job as expensive one. I wouldn’t buy anything above 70$
Then comes PSU and case. FSP ATX-450PNR or Seasonic is a good option .
BTW don’t buy expensive DRAM . Samsung 8gb DDR4 M378A1K43CB2-CRC is a better option =)

It’s possible, but only at the low end or high end. Mid-range has been absolutely evisterated. AMD Vega has done nothing to alleviate the issue. It’s a damn shame that we gamers have to follow all the volatility and news of the cryptocurrency market just to see if we have a chance to score a good mid-range card at a good price. “Oh look - China just banned local ICOs…BTC dropped to below $4500…maybe that’ll lower GPU prices by 5-10 bucks???” There doesn’t seem to be an end in sight anytime soon, given that most Proof of Work algos are best run by GPUs. The manufacturers are responding but they need time to ramp up production. The China ICO ban mentioned before doesn’t stop ICOs in other countries, and the BTC drop was likely just panic selling. It’ll probably blow pass 5k again soon. The NVidia CEO stated that “cryptocurrency and blockchain are here to stay” and unfortunately for us, he’s probably right.

The 1050 Ti you mentioned before is probably the best bet for his budget, but it means 1080p60 at Medium-High instead of Ultra compared to the 1060 6GB or RX 580.

I agree that there are better choices for PSU than Corsair. I personally went with the EVGA SuperNOVA G3. Everything about it was really nice but it’s a bit pricey.

For the case, I have a NZXT S340 as mentioned by OP. It’s a good-looking, nice case, but certainly not perfect: stripped threads on thumb screws is a common problem and the visible plastic can look cheap. Powering a SSD and a HDD with one PSU cable can be tricky (I recommend using two if one stretches too much). For the cost though there isn’t much better. Overall I’m satisfied with it.

How about this?

Looks good to me :slight_smile: