New PC for Grim Dawn

OK, probably better to go with lower bandwidth RAM with faster timings.

Negative sir.

Ryzen LOVES fast RAM…

We’re talking a 15+ fps difference between 2133 and 2800/3000.

Check the benchmarks…

Whoa there, I’m talking about 2666 or so, not all the way down to 2133! LOL. :smiley:

He can save £20 by going to 2666 RAM with 15 CAS, with maybe a couple of frames difference. This is the Ryzen 3 we’re talking about working with.

Maybe if he plans to upgrade to a much better CPU down the road, it might be worth it. But if he plans to re-build, it won’t.

“I like your style son.”

2666 is fine, no lower.

Great! Thanks everyone.

Just remind me - which CPU am I looking out for in a few months, when it’ll be much cheaper?

i3-8350k, and no prices are confirmed yet…

But it’s looking to release in mid/late Oct for around $140.

Don’t forget to add extra 60-80$ on mobo, since it come with a single z370 chipset >_> I highly doubt that we will see z370 mobo for less that 140$ in October.

So, going back to my OP - the above pre-built option has pretty much the same spec as where we ended up - other than it lacks an SSD and has an i5-7400 instead of Ryzen 3 1300x- but it includes Win10 and 1 year’s anti-virus.

It will cost an extra £60 to get the PC suggested in this thread built from parts. I am not sure it’s really worth it is it?! The yoyotech pre-built option is £689.99. The parts-only build is £715.25 + cost of Win10/Anti-virus…

According to your own saved parts list, the custom build is £741.00 including Win10 and the yoyotech build including the SSD you’ve specified in your custom build would be £776.98. The parts in the custom build are better.

As for the antivirus you can download a good free one. For anti-malware you can use the free version of Malwarebytes.

For “risky” (ahem) browsing, you can use Sandboxie, which is also free. This is probably the single best thing you can do to avoid getting infected.

So custom build looks to be the way to go.

If you decide to go with SSD + HDD with the S340 case, I strongly recommend using separate PSU cables for the SSD and HDD. Also go easy on the thumb screws and avoid letting the side window touch anything. You’ll understand once you start building. :stuck_out_tongue:

SSD is really great. I don’t know anyone who would go back to not using them after trying one.
Current i5, in less than a month (Oct 5th), will become i3 (8th gen i3 will be 4c/4t) and will lose ~$/£100€ value. I would really wait to get a new i3 or i5 next month, they’re better for games and they don’t care about what RAM you take. (And you will find MB at normal prices. They won’t all sell their “pro” or “gaming” MB.)

In the suggested PC, you can replace the 600W PSU for a 500W. (There is no use for 600W unless you go for a SLI. But don’t go for a SLI.)
You don’t need a new HDD if you use your old ones.
And you can find keys of W10 on the grey market for ~20€.

The idea was to save $ on Cpu, mobo and ram, but purchase a better gpu,ssd and more ram. ) Since you decided to stick with 4 cores there is no improvement over base pc,)

you can save loads of money on OS by buying windows on kinguin
25 bucks instead of 80
Edit: its OEM on kinguin (windows becomes locked to your motherboard) so you know you are the only one using it, i.e you wont get scammed

Sorry I don’t quite understand. The original suggestion was that own build would save money compared to pre-built but it’s turned out to still be more expensive even after I’d saved money on the cpu, mobo and ram to bring it nearer the pre-build price…?

However, the it sounds like it’s worth it still for SSD/HD combo and I can shave some off the PSU and Win10.

You might want to wait a bit before buying anything. GPU prices are still partially inflated from the bitcoin mining nonsense.

However, this build is around $500 and could easily play Grim Dawn at maxed or near maxed settings: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3YhqXH

Plus the lower cost will give you room to upgrade some parts if you like. I don’t know the Euro conversion for dollars right now, but since your budget was initially 700, you should be able to take it from there.

BTC dropped to almost $3500. I’m surprised. Jamie Dimon may be a slimy banker SOB but he may have just given us gamers an unexpected gift.

EDIT:

Let’s not forget the People’s Bank of China. Swell dudes they are. Thanks guys!

So, it’s out, I think?

This?
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Gouldec/saved/#view=XC8QVn

EDIT: reviews so far say it sucks in and of itself, but Ryzens have come down in price a little so I’m gonna go for the original spec. Over and out.

Sorry for the late reply, but I got your PM or whatever it’s called just now.

I’m looking at your “FINAL?” build right now.

Prices look good, parts look good.

I say go for it!

(Just be sure to update the motherboard BIOS once you’re up and running)

Cheers Dude!

You are paying quite the premium for that EVGA FTW 1050ti though…

If you’re willing to spend $160, might as well spend another $30 for a 1060 3GB and get almost twice the performance…

Those FTW cards are never worth the money etc.

(The rest of the build is rock solid. So stop playing with it heh)

Oh, just seen this but I’ve bought the parts…!

Do you mean one like this?
https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Gigabyte+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+1060+3GB+G1+GAMING+Graphics+Card+?productId=66604

£199.14, so £66 more than the one I got:
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/NVIDIA+GeForce/GeForce+GTX+1050+Ti/Palit+GeForce+GTX+1050+Ti+StormX+4GB+Graphics+Card+?productId=66810

But here it says: “the benchmarks achieved by the 3GB GTX 1060 are so close to those of the 1050 Ti that you’ll probably want to go with the latter, especially in a budget-build scenario.” https://www.windowscentral.com/nvidia-gtx-1050-ti-vs-gtx-1060-which-gpu-should-you-buy

Now then, my next Q is what monitor to get?
I’m thinking 144Hz, 24" e.g.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf