New PC for Grim Dawn

That article is absolute hogwash. A 1060 3GB will ANNIHILATE a 1050 Ti.

As for a monitor, 144hz is nice, but I don’t see you reaching framerates high enough with your build to warrant it.

Instead, I would recommend a 24-25 inch 1080p with an IPS panel at 60hz.

Something like this, for example: www.amazon.com/ASUS-MX239H-1920x1080-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B00UFCVKI4/ref=as_li_ss_tl

Fyi, IPS panels are far, far superior to TN panels (which is what most 144hz monitors are).

Way brighter, better colors, and better viewing angles etc.

Thanks. Yeah I did wonder about the frame rate…

So I guess I could return the 1050 Ti for a 1060… or wait a while and upgrade to something better if it’s not giving me enough of a boost…?

For Grim dawn? If you want to play multiplayer make sure you have a strong cpu. You only need like 3 threads but you need the single core performance to be very high.

Ryzen 3 1300X ok?

Yeah man, you’re good.

If your goal is simply to play Grim Dawn and play it well, your 1300x/1050 Ti will suite you just fine.

A 1050 Ti is practically identical to my 960 4GB and I run Grim Dawn with everything on high at an almost constant 60fps…

Well, I got the parts, it’s been made and it’s running GD on max on all settings!

Beautiful! Thanks for all the help guys.

Hi

My laptop is enough to play with GD ?

Y700-17ISK Laptop (ideapad)
modell80Q0005PHV
i7-6700HQ
8GB DDR4 2133mhz (2x4GB)
Adata 240GB SSD +1TB HDD
NVIDIA® GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5

Ty

Yes.

(@1080p with settings at medium)

Hi folks, what do you think of this:

HP Omen Gaming Serie
Avec 16 Go Optane
RAM en Go: 32
Capacité HDD in Go: 2000
Connexions: Ethernet/LAN, USB 3.0, USB C/Type C, Audio O
Transmission sans fil: WLAN 802.11ac/n/b/g, Bluetooth 4.2
Carte graphique: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
Marque: Intel Core i5
Type de processeur: 8400
Fréquence du processeur: 2.80 GHz bis zu 4.00 GHz
Application: Desktop PC

HP Omen Gaming Serie
With 16GB Optane
RAM in GB: 32
HDD Capacity in Go: 2000
Connections: Ethernet / LAN, USB 3.0, USB C / Type C, Audio O
Wireless transmission: WLAN 802.11ac / n / b / g, Bluetooth 4.2
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
Brand: Intel Core i5
Processor Type: 8400
Processor frequency: 2.80 GHz to 4.00 GHz

Husband may need a new PC since his has died on him, but he’s also suggesting maybe I get a new one too.

Have they slashed the prices on these things? You read that they are all basically defective, right? I would not pay even half price for a Intel chip after the CEO dumped all his stock.

HP has picked up where Alienware died under Dell, so I like Hp and omens seem pretty good for pre-built, but I would not give Intel any money ever again. Their PR double-speak and CEO have made us enemies.

I haven’t read anything jiaco, hubby’s the one looking and he’s looking at a similar spec for himself. Yes, they’ve slashed CHF500 off the price, January sales. :slight_smile:

Well, I will provide you the PR double speak from the idiots at Intel, just in case it will sway you. I bolded the misdirection parts.

And here are some articles.

Essentially, no CPU is immune and a fix is coming (maybe, probably, or hopefully), but Intel published that BS quote above and their CEO sold all his stock like a greed POS. So, in my little corner of the world, there is an Intel boycott.

But, sadly, I understand that most people will just shrug shoulders and say it is beyond their control. Which, since Intel managed to monopolize the market, is kinda true.

Okay, thanks for those jiaco. I’ll make sure hubby has a read and take it from there. Some of the symptoms he’s got on his current dead PC are to do with one of those problems, but it may also just be that the machine is now getting on for 8 years old and it’s just given up on him. He’s got a couple more things to try to see if he can get it running, but otherwise he’ll need a new machine.

You are aware a fix has already gone out RIGHT??

Dead issue.

As for you Medea, looks like a damn good pre-built to me.

An i5-8400 + GTX 1060 is definitely the best possible “bang-for-your-buck” config right now.

The fix was applied by the OS makers, not Intel and AMD. It’s patched, but not fixed. Especially for those people that don’t actually apply the patch or are using older OSes. :undecided:

Edit: And apparently for Microsoft products running on AMD chipsets, they’ve stopped deploying patches because of an issue.

Microsoft said that “some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.”

Edit 2: Intel promises fix by end of January.

Yes, medea, very nice PC. I have a 1060 6GB and am very happy with it. Like I said, Omen replaced the Alienware from the past (before Dell), which should be read as a compliment to HP.

Just very very angry at a lot of things these days, and Intel needs to feel this financially and not just cripple their customer’s PC performance via software updates.

[SPOILER]I am just completely baffled by how short the public attention span is these days and how everything seems to have gone to shit. I will ignore the elephant in the room because it is against forum rules to talk politics, but here are some recent technology related issues:

The FCC, with a 3 vs 2 vote, did something nobody wanted regarding NN.

EA can mess up over and over and yet Disney gives them exclusive Star Wars rights. So they pulled the plug on MTXs until people forget and they will just turn them on again. In the meantime, they went completely silent and the game feels abandoned. I feel bad for the devs at Criterion
who made a pretty amazing space battle game buried behind the most idiotic progression system ever imagined.

Intel vs AMD is a long story, but Intel has always been evil, their CEO is stupid-evil and the SEC should roast him alive. Plus, their PR team took a page out of EA’s play book recently, infuriating everyone that understands the issue at hand.

Speaking of the SEC, remember Equifax? Half of the US had their information stolen iirc, cannot find anything about that in the news anymore.

Session’s attacking weed when you have a serious drug problem that the pharmaceutical industry continues to profit from? (ok, not tech related, but seriously, priorities anyone? Last story I read the pharma companies are going to try to push these drugs on people in other countries now.)

The list keeps growing and I am sick of seeing them get away with it because (as far as I can tell) all they have to do is get out of the news for a week or two and they are forgotten/forgiven.[/spoiler]

More possibilities - the Omen seems to be on sale everywhere here at the moment.

For the same price as the other one:
Omen 880-050nz
Intel Core i7-7700, 3.6 GHz Quad Core
RAM 16GB DDR4 (2x 8GB)
256GB NVMe M.2 SSd +2TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 dedicated

For about 200 francs less:
Omen 880-017nz
Intel Core i5-7400, 3 GHz Quad Core
RAM 16GB DDR4 (2x 8GB)
128GB SATA M.2 SSd +1TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5

Hey jiaco, relax a bit. Chances are you’re sitting on a nice comfy chair behind a computer screen reading what is essentially a recreational website.

Things can get a lot worse and they’ve been a lot worse in previous centuries and millennia. Consider for example if your local politicians made a bad decision and as a result your entire city was destroyed. Or, if your national politicians made a bad decision and as a result your your entire country was destroyed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or if there were diseases around that no one had any power to fight other than by their own genetics, e.g. bubonic plague. Or famine caused by drought, etc.

Suffering was, is, and will always be part of this world. The key is to build resilience and overcome it.

It might help if you give the site you are using, I went looking on the store.hp.com site to see and it might be easier to just try to explain each piece.

CPU: Intel Core i5 or i7 and various 3.0 3.2 3.6 GHz, for me, none of this matters, you will not notice a huge difference between any of them, especially once all the meltdown and spectre fixes are in place. You are best choosing a pre-built based on the other options.

GPU: The Nvidia 1060 6GB (Desktop) is a fine GPU, but I would not go lower. Nvidia makes a million models with various memory configs and this was the GPU at the sweet spot on price vs performance when I was buying GPUs about a year ago. I really have no clue if 1050 or 1070 is better or worse, but there are lots of websites out there that do direct comparisons, for example:
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3639vs3649

Memory: You want mininum 2x 8GB. You should also check if the motherboard has only 2 or 4 memory slots. Never buy 16GB as 4x 4GB, you have no room to add memory without throwing away the old. However, memory is really cheap compared to the rest. I have bought machines and junked the stock memory many times, but if you do not want to touch the insides, go for 2x8GB.

Disks: You really want a C: drive as SSD these days, if only for the speed of booting the system. I cannot live with a C < 500GB, but you might get by with 256GB. Less than that is going to be full in no time. Since the C: is SSD and hence small, you typically get a second disk too, an old school platter drive at 1TB to store all your stuff. SSD is faster than drives called hybrids which are faster than platter. If you do get a platter, you want 7200 rpm, anything slower is made for a laptop and you will notice slow read speeds. NVMe is supposed to be even faster than SSD, but I have zero experience with them. They also plug onto the mobo different (not SATA). If the machine comes with one, fine. I would not choose a model just for an NVMe however.

After that, with a prebuilt, you have little to choose. The motherboard will be some cheap POS that HP has made for them without any interesting features. But if you want a video acquisition card or anything not coming in the pre-built, you should at least know something about the number of RAM or PCI slots on the mobo.

With a laptop, you really have to worry about the screen, but since these are desktops, you have a screen (as I do not see any mention of them).

Actually, googling your complete text, it looks like you are shopping on Fust.ch. The really do not put much information on the spec page about what is really inside. But if I compare a model at ~1100 vs ~1700 it really seems like you are not getting much more for the extra 500. But if you look at the price of a 1060 6GB on that site, you are at ~400.

If this one is in your price range, it is pretty sweet, but I would still ask exactly what 1060 is in it.
No d’article Fust: 6980241
HP Omen Gaming Series
RAM en Go: 32
Capacité SSD in Go: 256
Connexions: USB 3.0, USB C/Type C, Audio Out 3.5mm, HD
Marque: Intel Core i7
Type de processeur: 8700
Fréquence du processeur: 3.20 GHz bis zu 4.60 GHz

They have this one a bit cheaper and practically same specs, but it says not in stock.
No d’article Fust: 6980054
HP Omen Desktop 880-050nz
RAM en Go: 16
Capacité SSD in Go: 256
Connexions: USB 3.0, USB C/Type C, HDMI, Displayport, DV
Marque: Intel Core i7
Type de processeur: 7700
Fréquence du processeur: 3.60 GHz bis zu 4.20 GHz