Newbie need advice for build

To Knife. A bit of a newby here myself. Covid giving me plenty of time to play GD. I was thinking about a making a Shaman and then add Soldier late in the game for the same reason you just typed. I am eager to try it out as a two-handed build. I will need all the hitpoints and regen I can get. Though I think balancing lightning and bleeding could be an issue, especially with the devotion points. What first class did you choose?

To the poster, Azazel, yeah this game is loads more difficult to learn than D1, D2, or even D3. At the same time it is also loads more fun too. If you don’t mind mods, I would suggest Grimarillion. The Spirit class from the Titan Quest (also a very fun game to play, similar play style to Grim Dawn too) selection is a lot of fun. You may find some spells that are enjoyable. I finally, after many restarts like you (I think I have deleted at least 6 characters, some making it to the 40s too), I settled on Spirit/Arcanist. It seems like an odd combo, but it works well so far. I am using that AOE spell Visions of Death. I can’t wait to stress test it in the next two difficulties with better gear. When you get a chance, try out that DLC Crucible. NOW THAT IS FUN.

2 Likes

@Nery Hi, is this still viable or not? Because it seems really old and can’t find anything concrete for a mage hunter.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

You can mod the game and do everything? This will not conflict with nothing else?

I saw that mod but i’m afraid that those mastery will be maybe more powerful than the vanilla one, and don’t want a super OP char.

Also, while i’m at it. When you have a weapon (sword/pistol) who did let say cold damage, are those damage augmented by spirit or cuning?
I don’t know if the cold damage from the weapon is considered physical or magic.

All cold damage falls under spirit :slight_smile:

Cunning increases physical/internal trauma, pierce, and bleeding damage. Spirit is everything else basically. The tooltips should list it I think, at least for cunning.

1 Like

Elemental Runes Mage Hunter could be interesting too I think, here’s an endgame build: Mage Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

You could make a lot of Mage Hunters but we don’t have many beginner guides for them

1 Like

Runes are awesome, i play trozan for now but rune a super fun.

The problem is controller… i can’t choose where to put the rune and it’s annoying.

1 Like

Indeed.

The problem is I assume that for example enemies goes to you
and then you cast the rune
but you cannot cast it closer to you (for enemies to run into it after it’s armed)
but you’re forced to cast it on top of them (at a certain range) and they escape it before it explodes?

I’m playing / leveling Cold Hagarrad that’s meant to facetank and never kite (lot of healing), that might not have such problems with :video_game: I think because I always cast it on top of enemies at melee range for max damage unless I’m able to make traps before boss fight begin but then I don’t need that aiming.

1 Like

Exactly, every cast with the controller land where the enemy you target is.

To i cast a rune, the enemy comes to me and by the time the rune are activated, the enemy are out of it’s range… bummer

And how do you play it? you use what for melee attack?

For now I’m just using normal attacks / later I’m going to use Chillspikes from component and Shadow Strike when I level it up a bit.

1 Like

@Azazel the MH guide is pretty old. I think Pain and Runes are good combo for leveling.

Other than that there’s lightning AAR, probably the best way to level this class. And you can play with controller as well. I was thinking of making a guide but there’s already older one posted.

I don’t like armor stacking and defensive devotions on it but more spirit points and classical lightning devotions and it’s great build.

Armoured Mage - Tanky Beginner-friendly Lightning AAR Mage Hunter (Beginner’s Guide included) - Grim Dawn / Classes, Skills and Builds - Crate Entertainment Forum

3 Likes

I heard that the Zenith and the Diablo 3 classes in Grimarillion are OP for Grim Dawn. I am staying away from those classes, for now. I am just messing around with the Titan Quest ones. Spirit’s Visions of Death spell is similar to Grasping Vines from the Shaman, just different animation and damage type. Both act as CC and AOE. The real test will be in Ultimate, but that will be a while for me.

Edit. If you are familiar with Diablo 3, especially the Shield Throw Crusader build, Oathkeeper has that spell. It also has a spin spell like the Diablo 3 Barbarian, but I havn’t messed with that spell yet. That will be my next venture after I finish with my caster/sometimes stabber.

1 Like

Hey guys. Question again.

Is smite proc with aeagis of menhir? How can i know if it would work with it or not?

No, from OK only Righteous Fervor (or just your basic attack without any skill) procs Smite.
You know this by “when used as default attack” in RF’s description.

2 Likes

And thanks again friend :smiley:

1 Like

Most skills in the top left corner of mastery display are passive, some are WPS ( WPS stands for “Weapon Pool Skills”. It’s a pool of skills that trigger from weapon attacks and adds bonuses and special effects to those attacks ). Under the description of WPS, you can see “Can activate with all default weapon attacks…”. Most default weapon attacks works with WPS (they accumulate together), except Cadence. The 3rd hit always overlapses other WPS.

1 Like

Thank for the tip.

But also, something like slam, the skill granted by a component, is it considered as basic attack or not?

Nope. Only a stuff like AA (Savagery, Righteous Fervour, Fire Strike etc) There’s a component that grants an AA but it’s the only one I think.

Edit: some sets grant AA and some pieces of gear (only one I think) grant as well.

1 Like

While i’m at it, is defense ability needed? or better have resist + armor?

1 Like

IMO da is more for endgame. You don’t really need to worry about stats like that while leveling. Just make sure your gear is up to date and resists are nice and tight.

2 Likes