Newspapers? Crazy idea but not too crazy…

Ok just an idea I had playing tonight— but hear me out.

One thing I really enjoyed about the old school sim city games were the periodic newspapers you would get telling you about the status of your city. They were comical, creative, and actually kind of low-key told you how to improve your city, by “hearing from your people”.

I often check the town hall in FF to see what I need to do— more luxury goods, more food etc. could you just tie that mechanic to a newspaper that pops up once a year? I mean with GenAI these days you could have it write some pretty funny and creative stuff and I think it would be a low key way to increase immersion, have you care about your villagers more…

“Herders cry over spilled milk” — your cows got loose
“Barbarians at the Gate”- you survived a raid
And a little story about it, you get my drift…

And just to test this out— I had chat gpt prompt me a fake news article about cattle getting loose in a village — this is what it generated— most excellent;

“In the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Two Hundred and Fifty, in the humble village of Bovington, an event most unusual and full of mirth did unfold, touching the hearts of both young and old. This tale, woven from the very fabric of village life, doth concern the misadventure of cows most unruly and the plight of their keepers, for whom the day turned quite foully.

Upon a morn, bright and clear, as the cock’s crow did pierce the ear, the cows of Bovington, creatures most docile by nature’s design, did cast off the yoke of their herders’ command, embarking upon a jaunt most unplanned. From their pens they burst, with a vigor unrehearsed, into the village green and beyond, where the grass appeared greener and the fields yonder.

The herders, taken aback by such bovine audacity, gave chase with shouts and pleas, but alas, their efforts were as naught against the tide of hooves. Through the baker’s stall, the cows did gallivant, leaving naught but chaos and flour in their path. Past the blacksmith’s forge they pranced, frightening the horses and earning the smith’s curse.

As the sun climbed high, the villagers gathered to witness this spectacle, their laughter and cheers mingling with the herders’ cries of despair. “Hold fast, ye wayward beasts!” cried one herder, his voice hoarse, as he lunged for a cow only to embrace the air, landing amidst a puddle most vile.

Yet, as the day waned, and the herders’ spirits were frayed, a young lass, wise beyond her years, did approach with pails of milk, spilled in the tumult. “Weep not for the milk that hath spilled,” she spake with a smile, “for the cows will return at the end of their wild spree, and with them, the promise of more milk to be.”

And so it was, as twilight did cast its gentle glow, the cows, their wanderlust sated, returned to their pens, leaving the villagers with tales to be told. The herders, their faces weary but hearts light, did laugh over their foiled attempts, vowing to secure the pens more tight.

Thus, let it be known across the land, that in Bovington, a village small and grand, the day the cows did roam was met not with anger, but with humor and a promise to cherish each moment, be it filled with peace or with commotion.

So ends our tale, penned with care, of cows unleashed and the herders’ despair. May it bring a smile to your face, and remind you of the joy and grace found in life’s unexpected chase.“

1 Like

A more era-appropriate way to incorporate this idea would be that of a Town Crier. Some in-game methods to create a sense of narrative and life unfolding in your town would be welcome.