Night Soil, 102 Manors, 32 compst yards. most houses have 6 or 12 nightsoil in them

My guys simply can’t keep up with the amount of night soil that accumulates in houses. how many of these compost yards do we need for say 102 homes. i figures 1 compost per 4 homes, should i add more, the monthly expense gets expensive. i wish we could just add more workers. here is my base layout

1 Like

The monthly cost should be offset pretty easily with Homesteads with luxuries like Pottery.

I have 36 houses and 2 Compost Yards. Other factors to their ability to work are pathing (town layout) and overall distance to a house (the distance they’ll walk, not the direct distance from Yard to Shelter).

2 Compost Yards in the top right servicing 36 houses (soon to be 38).

They seem to only hit one house, run back to the yard, rinse and repeat. So if your compost yard is way out in the boonies, they probably won’t be able to keep up. Then there is also a bug it seems when you login every house is full of poo, and it takes years for them to catchup.

It’s more like they have a max carry inventory for it, or a trigger that once they get over a certain amount of waste they head back. Minimum I’ve seen them carry is 16, max is 18.

I generally do 1 yard per 100 people and it works fine. You just have to have them close but not too close to the homes.

I have 4 compost yards just outside town and all my homes have 12-14 poop in them and my citizens constantly get sick.

here is a better pic with all houses the 4 compst are in the upper left outside town. with a direct road paved with cobble stone.

So I have a theory, but unproven. Did you build the first one early on or did you build it only once you realized you needed to build it? I think that if the first one is built too late in the development stage, the rest are playing catch up for the accumulation of waste.

Having this problem… The town I have right now has 3 compost yards and less than 200 people.

I ask similar questions and get different answers. I have gotten several towns up to 1000 people and in some of them I don’t need as many compost yards while others have needed several more. From what I’ve personally gathered it appears to me that the proximity of the compost yards to the housing can be a factor but to argue that point I’ve had a compost yard just out of negative desirability range and the houses still didn’t have their waste collected. To that end, I think it’s a matter of the game queueing up the buildings in order of collection and not how close they are to those buildings that need immediate collection.

Part of the problem is that he only services one house at a time. There should be upgrades to his cart capacity that allows him to visit more houses per trip before having to drop off. You see gatherers going out to collect an item will move to the next plant of that type until they have their max carry weight, so the tech is already there. Just allow upgrades to carry more each upgrade step.

They will visit more than one if the first house doesn’t have enough waste to fill their carry capacity.

I’ll have to watch him again, I thought he wasn’t. But I could be wrong.

The only thing I can think of that would get the nightsoil collector to show up sooner would be to do the same thing they did to repairs that being lowering the threshold of collection. Say, for instance, the current threshold for waste collection is 40. Lower that to 20 and the collector may come sooner and visit more structures…perhaps?

Or increase the amount of waste that can be transported on a single trip.

My town is grown and i have 102 Manors and 24 Compost yards. still not keeping up. most houses have 6 nightsoil in them. what is a good Ratio for Manors to Compost yards. i’m at 4:1 right now. 3:1?

something is wrong I have just 9 and 1000 people and they keep up fine.

“I generally do 1 yard per 100 people and it works fine. You just have to have them close but not too close to the homes.”

yes this is how I do it also. I do have a few compost yards built but turned off.
Raiders can wreck the flow or I get lazy and let hem all fill up. So i turn them off
and turn on the backups.

Soap.
Enough so that the whole village can wash their hands each time a disease pops up.
Keep enough for at least two ‘disease washings’ before you start selling any excess.

have plenty of soap. houses have soap in them already

spot checked and almost all homes have 1 soap already, and some have no night soil, or 6 night soil or 12 night soil. i’m not getting warning, but i get tons of typhoid outbreak notices. i’ve added 8 more compost now 4 in each corner. 102 homes, 32 compost. the service fees on 32 compost are 128g per month.

1 Like

Move all 12 of your Northern Compost Yards to positions south of your East/West Farms.

This will give them better access to a more central express route moving to and from each house and more efficient use of their actual work radius.

They have no road access requirements but that does not mean the worker does not benefit from their presence.

Compost moves ‘through the air’ back to the fields, so that proximity is of no importance.