No Wall, No Tower, Vanquisher Challenge

Title says it all - can you survive in vanquisher difficulty (or feel free to try lower if you want) using only barracks and soldiers for defense?

So far my largest raid has been 68 raiders and the results have been pretty good. The latest fight has been, by far, the coolest, most intense battle of my FF playing career. Was sending my 3 soldier companies north to meet the main force but then had to split off soldiers into small groups to engage smaller raider parties coming in from the south and east / intercept thieves trying to make off with goods. Results - 48 raiders killed, only 4 villagers lost, 2 buildings lost, no goods stolen.

Iā€™d definitely like to add more depth and nuance to combat when we get the chance.

Should mention, in dev build, vanquisher raider difficulty has gotten a buff. :muscle:
Easy raiders got nerfed though and medium is a bit moreā€¦ medium?

5 Likes

The only thing about using just barracks is the soldiers just seem so ineffective to me for their recruiting and management even if you have armor/crossbows/weapons and they seem to die so easily compared to just building towers which if those are destroyed the villagers just run and donā€™t dieā€¦ Where if the soldiers die your forced to pull villagers off of other things to refill the barracks and immigration ainā€™t high enough to replace the losses since raiders on vanquisher ā€œusuallyā€ raid every year but I guess if you have a good gold income you can fill the barracks at the new year and empty it in summer since raiders only seem to raid in spring(and no donā€™t get any ideas about making raids random seasons haha)ā€¦ :wink:

Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™ll try it but Iā€™m not gonna look forward to the no towers thingā€¦ I can probably live with the no wall thing :wink:

Welcome to Spartaā€¦ Vanquisher Arid Highlands.

Iā€™m too lazy to start again in the current patch so I have just modified my village to conform to the rules, I hope that is ok. My computer canā€™t handle performance above 500 pop, which caps the invading army size at about 117. Killed 106, lost 2.

Iā€™m going to install the tower defense mod to see how large of an elite army the defense can actually handle.

Only recently ventured into Vanquisher difficulty (Pacifist) to get a feel for how different it may be. Not sure Iā€™d want to try such a thing, though doing tower defenses only might be fun.

But then we know youā€™re a glutton for punishment big M. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Do fences on fields count as walls? Because raiders do count them as walls.

I put them up. I donā€™t use fences to keep raiders out. I use fences to keep wildlife out.

Me too, itā€™s for wildlife.
But, strangely enough, raiders destroy them rather than simply going through it as any normal person would do.

My raiders seem to have an attraction to fence gates. But, Just like an animal they cannot simply walk through. So, like you said, they destroy them. Seems illogical until the wildlife shows up and eats your crops. Then it all makes sense.

Raiders are playing the long game. Destroy the fences and leave the deer to finish you off.

3 Likes

the most diabolical weapon of all, death by Bambiā€¦ :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Well garrisoned soldiers are moving a bit slow when in town; their home turf. Soldiers on road should speed. However the uber speed raiders going down sheer cliffs with siege engines. Even through the wild or uphill thatā€™s a feat to rush a battering ram. Raiders with bags of gold on their shoulder are besting professional soldiers at running.

they should be able to better use the walls (manning the crenelage ? ) I believe they can shoot through the wall, which is only fair for a defender.

When there is a fight in town, i would expect some of the villagers to shoot from their home in help of their son/girls husband/wives involved in the fight.

Some raiders are mindlessly hammering at walls (which is good for meā€¦) in a way that is not sensibleā€¦ I guess you want to avoid a TD funneling effect but they need to be smarter.

1 Like

Would be interesting to know your progress Medierra. I faced down a raid of two different groups comprising 80 raiders and killed 68 of them yesterday. Lost two of my villagers, a forager caught out in the boonies, and a hunter I thought I had positioned far enough out of the way, but obviously not. Nothing pillaged, nothing destroyed. Both of these attacks occurred at once.

The first image is of the results from the smaller group which attacked from the top left road and most never made it farther then the first intersection where a small group of soldiers met them.

This second image is the results from the larger group which attacked from ā€œSouthā€ and they never made it into town as I had plenty of warning and got my large squad of soldiers to meet them at the planting fields.

No towers, no walls (wood fence around my planting fields though), 3 squads of 24 soldiers (3 barracks). It would be nice to be able to dispatch x number of soldiers from a barracks instead of having to dispatch all of them at once. Hence why I have 3 barracksā€¦ :wink:

How can you possibly have over 672,000 in gold ingots???

1 Like

I was trying to test if being richer caused harder fights, I am now sure it doesnā€™t. How? Buy every spice you see, sell honey, clothes, and candles. Mine and smelt some gold ore. It just sort of piles up if you let it run.

1 Like

@perdrix - Unfortunately I havenā€™t gotten to play much lately but I did a bit tonight, so pop isnā€™t that much higher than before.

Latest raid was pretty decisive though:

I also have 3 rax and had the same though, that it would be cool if you could only deploy part of your soldiers. Something to add in the futureā€¦

Well shitā€¦ invading army showed up right after I posted.

My soldiers got wrecked, only like 10 out of 36 survived. Unfortunately, I havenā€™t been able to buy plate or heavy weapons recently (Iā€™m still T3) so mostly outfitted in hauberks with swords.

Upside, nothing pillaged, no buildings destroyed.

Now to see if I can recruit and outfit enough soldiers in time to fend off whatever come next.

Had another big raid the very next year but luckily it was just normal raiders and I was able to buy a bunch of extra hauberks and some heavy weapons that spring, so they got fairly rekt. Had to take a bunch of villagers out of non-critical professions to get all my rax back up to max.

Hmmā€¦ canā€™t say I ever saw two battering rams beforeā€¦ this may not end well!

It was three rams, the other one hadnā€™t come into view. Iā€™ve never had more than 1 at a time before. I had 4 different parties of raiders invade and it didnā€™t end well for them. They brought 3 rams and 68 raiders. I killed 56 raiders, destroyed 2 of the rams, lost no people, building, or loot. I still havenā€™t had a ransom yet, and I expect that battle will end worse for the town. FYI My soldiers were well equipped in T3ā€¦ I paid big bucks for the plate mail and heavy weapons to arm them. Now I am in T4 and making my own.

3 rams results 1
3 rams results 2
3 rams results 3
3 rams results 4

It is as if a broken gate sends up a bat-signal to every deer on the map that says ā€˜FREE FOOD!ā€™

They all rush to it, like water to a drain.

Move a worker to the area and you will see the herd of deer react like a flock of starlings in flight, wheeling and turning about.

1 Like