Not enjoying Sunder at all

I tried remaining polite, and yet I was insulted.

Sorry. I missed that. If you had made it into Grim Dawn 2, then there wouldn’t be much of an issue. That’s what I meant.

Damn. I’m getting old, forgetful, and miss things. Here’s the thing. While it is true that ARPGs have evade/dodge lately, Grim Dawn didn’t. Like I mentioned, I was playing Grim Dawn from the early days, I bought two copies for me, (Have you heard about the tragedy of the forgotten passwords and lost steam accounts?)

Closing, I don’t know where the whole notion of people thinking that I feel its a horrible game now comes from. It is not. I’m just not enjoying it anymore. That’s all. Maybe I’m lazy and I try to conserve energy by not pressing the spacebar to dodge. Who knows? :stuck_out_tongue:

your char had clothes on, it wasn’t naked
:grin:

1 Like

i think it’s a mix of phrasing/inferring from your posts combined with the interjection from OP earlier as the thread was revived (OP very much has the sentiment it’s a way worse game now the way i gauge it) - case of mixed up/intermingled identities/post sentiments i suppose

1 Like

wont be funny if we all liked changes like i didnt liked passthru removed from weapons to skills,but there is far more good ones and we probably never see developers taking care of their game like you guys do

how do that,i been planing on that but because i not good at thoose things i never tried

set up asset manager, Elfe has a guide on how to do it [Script][Basics]Modding Beginner's Guide I - #2 by Elfe
after the files are extracted you then just follow the steps on how to make your first mod (basically like a save file for mod changes)
then you go into the game tables in asset manager, and find the guns you wish to add the passthrough to, the guns have XY table IDs, you import those into your mod, then edit the value shown earlier, save, hit the build mod button, voila
*i know it might sound complicated in text form, but i promise you it gets much simpler once you actually sit down with Asset Manager and the game tables in front of you - i’m a luddite and was worried it would be too confusing, but i managed and feel like i got an ok hang of the basics now :+1:

2 Likes

nice tank you

As a campaign player, I don’t think there is a single boss that has a sundering attack of a cooldown lower than evade’s cooldown. You can easily dodge sunders with either evade or simply moving your character.
Shambler is a bad example as well, his attacks are so slow you always have your evade ready to dodge the sunder. You can even afford to evade his another nuke and barely lose any health during the entire fight. The fear of sunder is highly exaggerated.

1 Like

Have somebody in here played Witcher 1 and 2? When W2 released, I rushed to the store, came home and started playing. And right off the bat I was appaled by game’s combat. If W1’s combat was pretty unique and spectacular, W2’s combat consisted of hit → dodge, hit → dodge. And it kinda became the norm for combat mechanics in action RPGs. Dark/Demon Souls did that, and all other “Soulslike” games as well. Like Elden Ring - which is very popular, apparently. Everyone’s talking about it: “Elden Ring this, Elden Ring that”. So it sorta makes sense why 1.2 update made GD “more popular”. Which is good for devs, but not very much for “old farts” like myself. Because GD is no longer the game I and others (a minority, uh huh) enjoyed.

I mean, imagine playing Doom (Wolfenstein, Quake, Painkiller, Serious Sam or any other oldschool shooter) and after some update “RPG elements” were added to it, forcing you to level up your Doomguy and weapons, or else you won’t be dealing any damage to monsters.

So anyway, I still like Witcher 1 and its combat a lot. I believe jumping and rolling around like an ape 80% of the time looks pretty dumb - and this comes from the guy who played a lot of NES action platformers, like Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Megaman, back in the day.

But in case of Witcher 2, at least it was a brand new game, so at least I could keep enjoying my W1 experience without any bullshit. W2 isn’t a bad game overall, but I still kinda regret buying it…

I’m looking forward to seeing what Fangs of Asterkarn brings to decide if all of this is worth it. In the meantime, I’ll probably stay on 9.8. And I don’t exactly care too much for new content, bugfixes is what I like more.

3 Likes

Recharges are irrelevant. People shouldn’t need to have godlike twitch reflexes to play Grim Dawn. But you do now since the 1.2 update. The entire feel and gameplay loop during bosses is entirely different than it was before the update. For every one of my characters. And it really freaking sucks that the game no longer has any joy in it because some strange people decided they wanted Grim Dawn to copy inferior games by bringing in some completely incongruous “evade” button.

As for the useless videos up there, this has been there before: Of course there are ridiculous edge-case niche hyper-optimized builds with weird shit. Normal builds, the vast majority of the way people actually play the game. You’re being entirely disingenuous. But that’s no surprise.

Apparently, that part of my statement was ignored, albeit an important one. Continuing, the shambler used sunder a second time, before my dodge cooldown was even halfway down. I dodged the first one, he attacked with normal attacks twice or something, and used his sunder a second time.

I never said that I’m afraid of it. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else. I said that sunder, along with dodging, was a mechanic that wasn’t in the game from the start. While some like its implementation, some others don’t. Call us lazy. I don’t know.

<-That. Overall, I can’t hate Grim Dawn and of course, I have no regrets of buying it. Even with these changes, it still has a special place in the void where my heart used to be, and it will remain as such. The difference is that I put it down. Maybe in time, I’ll learn to embrace that change and enjoy it again. Who knows?

This thread is fascinating.

At least with sunder, there is now visual clarity of which abilities put you in danger. Before that, a lot of rr effects were buried in the list of debuffs applied to you and it was very hard to tell which attack was causing it. Sure you could overcap resists and mostly ignore those but on a “normal build” that “the vast majority of people who actually play the game” use, it’s safe to assume that getting below the 80% threshold due to rr was somewhat…frequent? (And people sure as hell didn’t stack enough aether res to overcome bullshit like 50% reduced target res from Anasteria, unless you were pushing deep SR).

Moreover, taking the attack that sunders you in the face does not instantly kill you. The sound cue and visual effect warn you that you are going to take more damage from the next incoming attacks. So if you somehow mess up and get sundered, you can just walk away, use a movement rune, a movement ability, or, god forbid, the dodge button, to get out of the way until the effect wears off, if your character can’t take the spike in upcoming damage.

As for said spike in damage, most sunder effects are about 30% for campaign bosses that have it, which is equivalent to having your resists lowered from 80% to…74%. Cap your res and get some hp and you can just laugh in the face of everything that sunders you in main campaign with a build that isn’t even close to being optimized.

1 Like

You mean its ultra slow sunder attack that you can see from the other side of the planet? If you die to that or to the boss itself, i don’t know what to tell you. This boss even against a naked character shouldn’t be able to kill it and that’s with sunder applied to that character.

In fact, the power creep all classes and items got should make it so this boss dies so fast that it doesn’t even get a chance to cast sunder.

This is just more and more evidence that is a massive build issue and not a mechanic issue, and yet you are being stubborn on purpose.

And you don’t need it. You make it sound that the bosses are attacking with two frames attacks, making it nigh impossible to evade when it’s the complete opposite. If anything Zantai has made a lot of these attacks slow and highly telegraped on purpose and he even removed the obnoxious player tracking a lot of these attacks used to have to make it easier to dodge.

2 Likes

This really just isnt true though.

I genuinely don’t use the Evade mechanic at all for its “intended” purpose. My gameplay (unga bunga with a side of big bonk) hasn’t changed in the slightest between 1.1.9.8 and 1.2.x.x. The only time i push the Evade button is to get from point A to point B quicker.

Y’all are talking like Sunder forces you to change how to play. It doesn’t. If you want to ignore Sunder, you can, you just have to build for it.

4 Likes

Honestly, this is genuinely the best thing about evade, makes early leveling significantly faster because you get around quicker.

1 Like

Shambler fight again, but I don’t use evade and play like I would play before evade and sunder was added. Yes I dodge the slam attack, I have always dodged it and it’s easy to do.

The build I am playing just started Ultimate difficulty, I recorded the Shambler fight because it was on the way of my progression. Faction gear, some MIs and crafted items, any leveling build can achieve that easily.

1 Like

Again, you misunderstood what you read, unless you are using the shambler randomly. I said that a few mobs use sunder before the dodge cooldown, shabler being one of the examples that came to mind. I really don’t know what you’re trying to prove here.

Give other examples of bosses sundering faster than evade cooldown and I will verify them.

Verify, what? Did anyone asked for any kind verification on something and I missed it? If yes, why would you need more than one? What exactly are you trying to prove? :confused:

1 Like