Not enjoying Sunder at all

so can you create mod that returns passthru to weapons that had it,this change was and it is crap

yes you can do that

just set piercing projectile to 100

This continues to be repeated but continues NOT to be an option. There’s a whole lot of stuff newer than that update – all of it’s great (including the rest of 1.2) EXCEPT the dodge nonsense that doesn’t belong in this game at all. Plus, oh boy! You need to update to the version with the evade crap to get the cosmetic pack #3. And will also need to do so for the upcoming expansion. Evade/dodge feels terrible in a game like this. It has no place. It’s entirely incongruous. You should have left in the inferior games you copied it from instead of bringing Grim Dawn down with it.

Please stop saying “stick to the old version” is a reasonable answer. Because it is not.

Ok, simply pretend that in the timeline you prefer, we instead announced that we have ceased support for Grim Dawn with v1.1.9.8. We hope you enjoyed 7 years of free updates, but now the team is moving on to other projects!

I’m sorry the v1.2 changes were not to your liking, but the overwhelmingly positive response the update received suggests to us we made the right call.

11 Likes

Not only was a difficulty increase not necessary, they also did successfully make the game have a considerably higher difficulty in the fun ways, WITHOUT the sunder element. The game outside of bosses is now much, much harder than it was too. But then you’re stuck at a boss that’s going to murder you a million times over because of the stupid required dodging stuff. Where as bosses used to feel like harder parts of Grim Dawn – like bosses should, they now feel like an entirely different game, in an entirely different genre, requiring entirely different play.

It really sucks when the developers of one of your top 5 favorite games of all time are really hell-bent on running it into the ground and making it suck. :frowning:

wasnt’ this explained already/earlier?
the game had become easier over the years, through powercreep(lots of powercreep)
so, either you had a game already change “significantly” in terms of difficulty - this change was just to your liking(because it favoured “you” more/you’re biased)
or, you acknowledge the game had become easier, and the devs have been trying to correct it back to more of the intended/original difficulty

2 Likes

…but only bosses sunder.

2 Likes

Look at you putting forward false choices. No, you don’t have to acknowledge that. The game did not get meaningfully easier for the common players through the years. And some changes through the years did make it harder (like putting mutators in various places that didn’t previously have them). But am OK with the general difficulty increase. Except now I can’t play the damned game at all because I can’t beat any of the bosses in a reasonable play session. Bosses are all hard walls now.

Games should remain fundamentally the same game throughout its lifespan. Not, at some point, suddenly become and entirely different game. 1.2 Grim Dawn barely resembles Grim Dawn because of the evade and sunder stuff.

that is just utter BS my man, the inclusion of MI modifiers alone spike the powerceiling through the stratosphere during levelling

this was also not really a general difficulty increase, totally is “some” increase: but vast majority of players completely overestimated the effect they had on enemies and misunderstood the scaling.
^and still it was peanuts in comparison with player powercreep increases - and you’re being extremely disingenuous or total forgetful if you’re even remotely trying to claim otherwise
the game has objectively only gotten easier and easier through the years

this is the only remotely valid argument there, and one i totally understand (have mentioned several times too); but it’s also under the mistaken presumption GD did something “unique” and that games changing, even post release, isn’t happening as a thing in modern game dev, (however disagreeable it might be sometimes)
GD being a “done” game as singleplayer experience/no live service shenanigans can definitely make such a development change seem way more drastic than otherwise announced in the past/when game was finished - but then again the game wasn’t really finished in the end

2 Likes

Sounds familiar, but about 1.1.9.4 patch… :thinking:

Anyway, I was ready for 1.1.9.8 to be the last one and GD devs to work on other projects. This Evade/Sunder stuff should have been in GD 2 as its basic feature, but we have it now, also, new expansion is on the way. Someone really does not want to let GD go :slightly_smiling_face:. For now.

1 Like

Unironic skill issue, genuine lack of skill. I know it’s kind of meme to just say “skill issue” when people are complaining about difficulty, but it applies here.

It’s not like the game didn’t had stuff you had to avoid, Grava’s null and Aleks’s meteor are infamous for blowing up even the tankiest builds.

The only Sunder i don’t like is Moosilauke/Gargabol/Ilgorr double wave slap, that shit is way too fast and deals too much damage. And in melee range it’s nigh impossible to avoid because the animation is fast, and because it’s two attacks, the first attack sunders you, and then the second hits way harder because of the sunder.

Fire a damaging wave
Initial use timeout: 2 Seconds
Delay until next use: 5 Seconds
Range: Short
36 Energy Cost
10 Meter Range
1254 Physical Damage
1003 Piercing Damage
1371 Cold Damage
15% Reduction to Enemy’s Health
500% of Attack Damage converted to Health
40% Chance to Freeze target for 1 Second
33% Slow target for 3 Seconds
35% Sundered for 3 Seconds

1 Like

You’re damned right. When I play a game like Grim Dawn, I don’t want sweaty-palm twitch-precision reflexes and boss attack pattern memorization. I play entirely other games for that. Grim Dawn’s enjoyment is wrecked by this garbage.

Now instead of being a game about making builds from a wide variety of them, it’s now entirely about your physical abilities.

Like it has always been, nothing has changed.

1 Like

No. It was only previously necessary for Celestials (things I’ve never bothered with). Now literally every boss is an an ableist nightmare.

Because Grava’Thul and Aleksander didn’t required the player to avoid specific attacks or else die. Or Gargabol’s volcanoes or having to back off from Reaper when you get the RR’d by his wraiths when they die.

But it’s funny that you keep purposely ignoring these examples because it contradicts your argument.

1 Like

You are quite “special” with what you like or don’t like about the game, the good thing is that the game is going down a great path that the vast majority of us like and we hope it continues to be this challenging.

2 Likes

I like everything about the game except the evade/dodge and sunder junk (and SR – which is avoidable except it should have the exclusive loot and skill point removed from it)? I don’t get what’s “special” about wanting my favorite enjoyable, approachable, and wide-build-variety ARPG to remain an ARPG instead of turning into an unfun arcade twitch reflexes game with extremely limited build-variety if you want to be able to survive Sunder.

None of these are anything like “you have to press a dodge button at precisely the right moment (that you won’t be able to tell anyway) or die”. I never had issues with any of the things you listed, except Garbagol not being beaten every key. (Unlike now, where he is entirely unbeatable by any of my characters.)

I don’t know why everyone in here hates what Grim Dawn was before 1.2 so much that they want it to turn into Diablo 4.

Yes, they are. They require the player to avoid them at the right time or die.

It feels like you have been playing an alternate version of the game, because in everyone else’s version this type of attack has been in the game since 2017.

And also, you DO NOT need to use the dodge button to avoid sunder, don’t know where you are getting that from. You can avoid sunder just by running, don’t know where you got this wrong impression that you need to use the dodge button to avoid sunder.

This is no different than avoiding resistance reduction skills from enemies.

3 Likes

images (70)

I love reading tantrums and cries.

+1000000 of happy

1 Like