Official Grim Dawn Kickstarter Thread

40,000+ people pledged for basically just digital downloads with Wasteland 2, raising them over $750,000… An extra 39,000 backers for roughly the same packages here would move things a lot… so I don’t think it is the packages that are an issue… more the volume of backers. Actually, in most of the big successes for video games on here, I don’t see expansions in the tiers at all… Banner Saga is really the only one… unless I missed something somewhere…

Maybe the reward tiers have some effect and if we’d configured them differently from the start, we’d be a little better off but I doubt it would be more than a 10-15% difference, if even that. I mean Shadowrun has basically the same tier 1 as us, they just have 15.5k people in it instead of 2.5k

I think it really comes down to volume, not getting people to pledge higher. Our biggest issue, in my estimation, is that we’re not an old-school game by a big-name designer that people want to resurrect and we hit at just about the time that the media got burnt out on Kickstarter stories. Not a big name + just covered 5 other Kickstarter projects = not that interested in another KS story.

That and the timing of D3 and TL2 doesn’t help get ARPG players excited for a new game that won’t be out for a year. Few people see ARPG as this dead or desperately under-served genre right now that needs more games. Unfortunately, this is the time it had to be. We couldn’t really have done it a year ago and we certainly can’t wait another year. That’s just how things work out sometimes. I mean, when we started working on Grim Dawn, we didn’t even know Torchlight existed yet and D3 seemed so far away. Had we been luckier, TL2 and D3 would have shipped last year, as they had originally intended and some people would be looking forward to the next ARPG on the horizon.

So, all things considered, I think we’re doing rather well. It at least demonstrates that our success doesn’t just hinge on luck and opportune timing. I think the best course right now, is to continue trying to get more attention and that is what we’re focused on.

Well, I finally got off my behind and backed via the $85 tier. I’m additionally already a legendary supporter but Crate can keep my extra $48 :cool:

I think we’re just currently in a lull during the middle section of the KS. There was the crazy excitement during the initial announcement which saw us get 100k in no time. I think as we near the end there might be a mad rush as well. But based on our current trajectory, I think we should at least meet the goal fairly easily.

If I choose boxed, then delivered to Russia?

Sadly I’ve been spending a lot of money on gaming lately and most of it has gone to Kickstarter projects I may not see for years. I’ve also spent or plan to spend some money on some other titles I can play in the interim (mostly strategy titles). All these things combined have made the last month or two quite expensive. I still hope to pitch in more to Grim Dawn, but I suspect a lot of people are suffering from wallet drain right now.

The bottom line is even if Grim Dawn just hits the goal, and it should if we keep pushing it, Crate is still going to have quite a bit more funding then they’ve had to work with these past couple of years.

Then we’d have more content! yay! :slight_smile:

Hi Gurthos

This should cover Russia, too. Do you have any concerns, that you might not receive mail in your location?

… welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

This post could serve as a lesson about how to manage the funds you are about to receive: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts/208395

I totally didn’t just do the same thing… :wink:

More than happy to put as much spare change as I can into Grim Dawn. Would put more if I could…

I’m becoming convinced that it has nothing to do with how you set up the KS project, which in my opinion is one of the best out there anyway, or a lack of throwing around big names out of gaming history. This is all about how people are incapable of seeing beyond their blinkered view. Personally I’m hugely disappointed in the lack of reaction from (so called) ARPG fans on the GD KS project. Which is amazing as this GD community is doing such hard and great work of promoting this where ever possible. But even when there is discussion of negative elements from current or upcoming ARPGs, and someone kindly points out on how GD improves or doesn’t even have those features, it just gets completely ignored. It is like those people are not even able to see, or comprehend, anything to do with GD. Which just makes me feel like a certain kid who sees Bruce Willis at the most awkward moments…

It looks like that in this day and age a lot of people need to be force fed a broader horizon, need to be hand holded when looking for something new, or (even worse) need the opinion of someone else to copy and believe to be their own. So yes, the only thing you (and we) can do at the moment is to keep up stream of information, get as many of the bigger sites to mention GD, and hope that the initial goal is met sooner rather than later as that will also generate a lot of attention.

Frankly I find the current amount of backers to be atrocious and an insult to you guys at Crate. And if this doesn’t at least double (10k+) by the end of the project, it would feel like a serious disappointment to me.

A couple of my buddies are slightly in the same picture that you painted but not totally. I told them about the game and that they should back it especially since they really enjoyed TQ but they said there is too many ARPG’s coming out and you can only play soo many. Just like me they are getting D3, Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile as well, although i am backing this game cause i know it will be a great game period.

It is sad that we cannot seem to pull more people in but there are alot of road blocks at this time for this Kickstarter like the mentioned games, lack of money AND other high profile kickstarter projects. I am actually proud at where we stand with all of these roadblocks that there are for GD that they couldn’t have planned for. If it wasn’t for these hugh games coming out that $280,000 mark would have been hit really fast but since they are you just have to keep pushing towards our goal.

We can’t give up hope when the guys at Crate wont, besides, once this game gets in our hands and youtube videos pop up with actul gameplay at length the TQ community as with my buddies will come running back home. (killing a few monsters and and factions along the way) :wink:

I think some videos showing more gameplay and menu/GUI use would be helpful, or more information on character skills and progression. Some stuff that makes Grim Dawn unique and shows more than just “hey, look, it’s an ARPG!”

I still hold by my prediction that after the goal of $280k is reached, there will be a surge in donations by people who were waiting to make sure that yes, this is going to happen, and will want to buy in.

I really agree with Medierra - the fund-raising is going very well - the only thing lacking is publicity. If Wasteland 2 had not attracted me to Kickstarter then I feel fairly sure I would still ot have heard of this game, despite still being a TQ player, a regular youtuber (subscribed to TB, Elder Geek, ZRS and various others).

The tiers are absolutely fine - maybe towards the end, the Crate story PDF could be extended to more people and perhaps special weekend beta passes for free to all backers after the Kickstarter is over.

I think this is going to be a huge success, even if it just passes $280,000 it will still be an achievement and something that reflects positively on the attitude and philosophy of the Crate developers.

Today, while it’s not over yet, seems to be the most active day, as far as pledges go, since day 3 or 4. This is no doubt due in part to the attention gained from the Reddit IAmA. There is a very realistic possibility that the Kickstarter will reach the funding goal before this week is over, leaving about 2 weeks time left that will be pure gravy. Mmmmmmm, delicious gravy. I hope we get a lot of gravy.
:smiley:

That would be golden. Yesterday was the best day since the 24th we netted 9.22k with 228 backers. Today we’ve already gotten 11.23k with 314 backers. And still 7 hours left in the day! Great.

Wow… almost $15k yesterday (May 1st). Reddit did a lot more than I expected!

only ~40.000$ to go. :slight_smile:

The Kickstarter is now at approximately the halfway point and we’re at 85% funded and over the 240k mark. :slight_smile:

I’m actually quite suprised that the project havent bursted the 280k$ One of the most promising game up to date!

keep up the good work Crate! Can,t wait to play your game!

I’m curious. When Crate reaches it’s $280k at the last day and that Kickstarter and Amazon takes the funding, whatever amount Crate is left with, is it still enough for them to cover everything for the game they need from the funds? As in contents and such? I just wonder since I wonder if Crate is expecting to have that 280K or they realize some of the funds will be taken from KS and Amazon and can still complete the game with whatever they have left?