On Mutators

Well, fine. Here, get @'d nerd @Avyctes

This is a port of a document I wrote for a Discord conversation discussing Mutators and some suggested changes/wishes for changes to the system.

Unlucky.

Disclaimer: I am not a gamedev. I’m just some (m)asshole on the internet that plays too many different things.

On Mutators: First introduced in Crucible and then teased for the campaign in Discord before being outlined in Grim Misadventures #143, Mutators are Grim Dawn’s implementation of randomized map effects (called ‘map mod(ifier)s’ in Path of Exile/Last Epoch). The impetus for the creation of such a game feature stems from providing some form of continued interest in repeating what would otherwise be relatively-stagnant content at little development cost compared to adding MOAR content of greater substance. Randomized effects, randomized stat changes, etc.

Unfortunately, Grim Dawn’s mutators leave much to be desired. The sum of all mutators amounts to some (numerically minor) stat changes, and there is no scenario in which all such changes would be present at once. Moreover, the possibility exists that some combinations of mutators may counteract each other, resulting in little (if any) tangible gameplay impact. Worse still, while the numbers involved may appear minor, there are many mutators that result in a negative gameplay experience for players, to the point of resulting in ignored content. Perhaps worst of all, the current psychology developed to play around mutators usually tends toward ‘farming’ sessions/runs of an area until the following conditions are met:

• Zero consequently negative player-affecting mutators are present
  • Zero consequently positive monster-affecting mutators are present
  • Zero or more positive player-affecting mutators are present

This results in a scenario where not only are players rerolling content away from modifiers that may harm their runs, they are also complacent with neutral mutators that incur no substantial effect to their gameplay whatsoever.

Before we continue, there is one ‘rule of thumb’ I would like to posit that, if you and I do not agree to, there really isn’t much point in you reading further:

• Any content the vast majority of players willingly ignore is content that should not have development hours poured into.

Put another way,

• Any content the vast majority of players willingly ignore is content that should not be designed in the first place.

If you find yourself agreeing with this sentiment, we can move on together.

It is the role of a game designer to guess at what their audience will engage with. A designer may not always be correct—and that is fine!—but the target goal being of the pursuit of engaging content is the designer’s quarry. To that end, we find that the target goal of mutators has been catastrophically not met. Rather than resulting in the continued engagement of content, mutators discourage gameplay more often than some acceptance of their presence is found.

At this point I should note the common adage that video game players are great at identifying problems with game systems but horrendous at proposing solutions. So before pointing out further issues with GD’s system and comparing it to the systems of other games (which may also be flawed), I want to take a moment to suggest my solution now:

Only have positive player-affecting mutators in the pool, but scale enemy difficulty based on the number of mutators applied to players.

To elaborate on the above suggestion, I do first need to pivot to the situation in another game: Destiny (2), which (for reasons unrelated) I no longer play, but have invested comparable hours into relative to Grim Dawn. Destiny 2 features Nightfalls, which are PvE instanced content with modifiers on them that rotate on a weekly basis. While technically more modifiers themselves do not equate to better rewards, the quantity of modifiers is given by the difficulty of the Nightfall chosen, and the rewards are dictated by that difficulty.

Unfortunately, Destiny 2 is also plagued by Nightfall weeks that are often skipped by all but the most ardent challenge-seekers of the game when particularly painful modifier combinations are established on more challenging Nightfalls. Things like “players taken more damage when in the air” (the ‘Grounded’ modifier) is a near-death sentence in a high-mobility first person shooter. More subtle modifiers, such as “enemies deal 25% more Arc damage” can remain extremely punishing in Arc-heavy Nightfalls or those with an Arc-dealing endboss.

Meanwhile, however, Destiny 2 is on the cusp of greatness with certain modifiers that encourage buildcrafting. Things like “Players deal 50% more Void damage” and “Players take less damage while moving” can encourage high-mobility Void builds, of which void is, traditionally, a ‘stand your ground’ sort of damage type. These modifiers encourage players to theorycraft and put new builds together, which can mean farming more content to acquire the resources for those builds. However, the modifiers which amplify enemies and debuff players do not encourage further engagement, rather discouraging any engagement at all.

This scenario is hardly unique to Destiny 2. Many other games run into similar scenarios where some of their endgame randomized systems invite player creativity and approaches to those systems while simultaneously stifling player interest.

Unfortunately for Grim Dawn, and most ARPGs in general, the idea of ‘buildcrafting’ on the fly to tackle a new challenge isn’t particularly viable. Not only are Grim Dawn’s challenges less persistent (in that they do not last a week, they instead only last a session before returning to the main menu), but changing character builds is antithetical to the idea of most ARPGs, Grim Dawn included, where ‘maxing’ the strength of a single build on a single character is often the name of the game. The cost of ‘respeccing’, in both in-game resources and in time, is often much, much larger than that in games of other genres—on the scale of time, where one may change builds in Destiny 2 in a matter of minutes, in Grim Dawn it could take hundreds of hours if it was possible at all, given Grim Dawn’s prohibition of total in-game class respecs.

So what, then, are we left with?

Per the above suggestion, in bold, we can limit the pool of mutators to some powerful player-affecting positive modifiers that at worst players cannot make advantage of with their build and at best can lean heavily into for a more engaging experience. Moreover, we can scale enemy difficulty by introducing a system where enemies get innately stronger for each additional Mutator applied to players—perhaps they gain ten levels per mutator, as an example. In Grim Dawn, monster levels equate to more damage on their skills, more OA and DA in their statblock, and more Health for players to chunk through. This is an anticipated, known scaling factor across all enemies in the game, and presents a choice for players: do they want to roll for a good Mutator that will amp their damage but risk getting something useless to them that consequently also improves enemy statlines?

This, then, also allows for other opportunities of engagement. Perhaps in Crucible a system could be in place to talk to Lokarr, spend some tributes, and get a random Mutator at the cost of increasing enemy levels. The deeper on goes in the Shattered Realms, the more Mutators one receives, and the higher enemy levels grow. And dangerous domains may become, at last, a bit more dangerous. Giving players the choice to take on additional Mutators is a powerful one—most choices are, after all.

One game that does a system like this very well is Vermintide 2. Vermintide 2 has overwhelmingly more positive player-affecting modifiers in its Chaos Wastes gamemode than modifiers which harm players or empower enemies, and those which harm players/empower enemies are usually of a more interactive sort. For instance, a harmful player modifier spawns intangible blood tornadoes that wander the map, keeping players on their toes, while an empowering enemy modifier makes enemies ‘split’ into lesser foes when slain, keeping players in the thick of combat. These are welcome ideas for Grim Dawn, but for the sake of simplicity, I think the easiest ‘fix’ to Mutators does not involve the introduction of new gameplay mechanics such as these.

I would love to see it though.

That’s basically the sum of my feedback specific to Grim Dawn, but I do want to take a moment while we’re here to discuss some specific modifiers I’ve seen in gaming, many of which have left a very positive or negative taste in my mouth after experiencing.

• Enemies drop X pool of damage on death. / Enemies buff their nearby allies on death. / Enemies debuff nearby players on death. I see this a lot (particularly in ARPGs like Grim Dawn/Path of Exile/Last Epoch/Diablo) and I’ve always loathed it. It creates a scenario where players want to avoid killing anything more than they need to. Or, rather, players want to avoid content. And what was that rule of thumb we agreed to up above?

• Enemies [punish you for playing a certain damage type]. See above. Maybe it’s punishment in the form of being more resistant to that damage type, or maybe they reflect a certain amount of that damage type back to players. Either way, it discourages interaction at best and at worst results in avoidance. Again, rule of thumb.

• Enemies spawn more enemies on death. This is a great modifier. In any game where we’re going around killing mobs as part of a main gameplay loop, having more things to kill is never a bad thing, especially when it comes as consequence of engaging with the loop in the first place. A positive implementation of an enemy buffing mechanic.

• Players have a chance to [do something] on [attack/kill/etc.]. Great modifier. In Vermintide, this might be chain lightning on attack, which is one of the best modifiers one can find and also among the most satisfying. In other games, this could be releasing a burst of freezing cold upon slaying a foe, or dropping meteors from the sky when critting their opponent. Whatever the case, it usually looks cool, feels cool, and in an ARPG with damage types, can be leaned into and exploited by the right builds, adding a luck factor on top of it all. “Gee, I really hope my Primal Strike build gets that chain lightning modifier!”

• Enemies have a chance to slow you on hit. This is a Last Epoch modifier, and it is my most detested one. Refer to the rule of thumb. The problem with this modifier is that it elongates the period of time between action sequences. We spend a lot of time in these sorts of games, be they first person shooters or horde slashers, or ARPGs, moving from one place to another. Having that period of time extended is never a good thing.

2 Likes

Mutators are generally so weak I don’t pay any attention to them whatsoever.

This I can agree with. Unfortunately my disagreement with what you present here is located a few lines above that.

Call me narrow-minded, call me an arrogant asshole, but I think this psychology stems from just plain player laziness. If getting a build’s attack speed nerfed by 15% for a run is enough for folks to throw their toys out of the pram and restart a run, that’s a self inflicted problem. Either they’re making a build that doesn’t account for mutators not being in its favour, or they’re too fixated on their precious benchmarks. Crucible plays a big role in that, since it’s become customary for people to equate build quality to Crucible times, when the feel of a build and its resilience to things going wrong is much more important than a simple number, be it Crucible timer or SR75-76 run time. A good build will be able to withstand improved enemy resistances, reduced AS/CS, reduced DA, nerfed total damage, nerfed regen etc. It will feel some effect but it won’t be the end of the world. IMO, unfavourable mutators need to be accounted for in an endgame build just as much as overcaps and RRs against a build’s particularly disliked enemies. It’s another layer of challenge in build creation and I see nothing wrong with how that’s been implemented.

Players’ insistence on comparing completion times above all else and unwillingness to have their times messed with in return for a bit more of an interesting challenge leads them to self-impose poor gameplay patterns that nobody’s forcing onto them. I’m not a part of the Crucible crowd so this timer obsession has never affected me. I’ve never quit SR cause I got an unfavourable mutator. If the game wants me out of the run, it’ll have to kill me first, and good luck to it. That I spent 2 more minutes in a run cause of a bad mutator doesn’t irk me none. To me, the fact I completed a run despite heavily unfavourable mutators is a badge of honour and a mark of my build’s quality, not a negative at all.

th-4049083443

Fren, i’m not sure about the scaling here…With 5+ mutators active, your enemies would then be fifty levels above you. Never pushed high SR but i think this would be a wall.

Anyway as long as i can easily clear SR50 to get the stupid quest off my screen, i’m happy. Your suggestions are well thought out, as always, Beno. Scribble on my dude.

1 Like

It is just an example, though frankly most of the builds that can do deep SR can probably handle enemies +70 levels over them (with no other scaling), especially if backed by powerful mutator buffs.

I largely don’t disagree. You and I have much the same approach to tackling the current challenge offered by GD.

However, the ‘metagame’, whatever it is, does have a cascading effect on the playerbase. When new players come to active communities (here, Discord, etc.), they are recommended builds tailored to a certain playstyle from a certain perspective. And I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to suggest that the current induction of players is heavily weighted toward builds devised with the approach to mutators described above.

Why so many words? Just remove the mutators altogether.

1 Like

Based and unmutated.

1 Like

So, tl:dr = change mutators to player positive random buffs and scale enemies according to the number of mutators present to balance it out?

I am on board as long as it is optional like Crucible buffs, since personally I have more issues with the scaling than the mutators while venturing into deep SR.

Yes.

The minutiae of implementation are for someone else (like that Zantai nerd) to solve, but yes, that is the idea.

2 Likes

I’m not really a fan of mutators in their current form. Many of them are kinda meaningless, some can be annoying. But I don’t go fishing for “good” ones either. In SR I don’t even look at them until I died, and even then I usually only restart the session if I’m playing a low DA build and got the mutator that further reduces it or if I play an RR starved build and got the mutator that increases resists to my damage type. I think the others don’t impact the experience that much, which of course begs the question why they even exist.

The vast majority of players doesn’t even reach level 50 :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, not fun.

Agreed.

Yes, agreed. In GD campaign it’s a simple delight to wipe out tons of bugs and a million maggots that spawn from them. This mechanic could be expanded on with a SR mutator, I think it could be much fun.

I never liked the Vermintide gameplay but this does sound great indeed. Extra procs from hits/crits/kills could be a real fun mutator.

That sounds awful indeed. The other way round would be much better, the player gets a short speed buff beyond cap when losing X amount of HP or something like that.

So yeah I agree with the sentiment that mutators should ideally be player buffs of some kind and not of the punishment type.

As for my own thoughts on how to improve the mutator system, I think one that can alter the gameplay to some degree would be great. I mean you still run around and kill monsters, but with some kind of twist. Kinda like all the different Challenge Modes in Jupiter Hell, those are really fun. OK thats a totally different genre and not really comparable but the idea is that mutators change the rules in a meaningful way. You know, like Quad Jump and Low Gravity change the way you traverse an Unreal Tournament map and gain map control. Not sure how gameplay-altering mutators would work in an ARPG though, it’s just an (not well thought out) idea.

And then ofc it comes to feasibility, the old ass TQ engine might not offer much room for crazy mutators that don’t just change a few numbers.

1 Like

While i’m with Res in spirit, i have to admit that after some thought, i’ve come around on this. Why not spruce up endgame and incentivize pushing SR? Doesn’t do me any harm – i don’t run SR beyond 50 anyway. Be mighty interesting to see this considered and the ensuing shenanigans. Shattered shenanigans. Shatternanigans?

1 Like

Never found current mutators fun. I mostly just noticed attack/cast speed down mutators would can be super hard to try to build around, or the resistant grouping which kneecaps single RR builds considerably more. If I’m recording for a build I’ll take one negative, but double speed down resistant is usually a nonstarter. When I still played full legit I’d play regardless but they are just there, no interaction, no play difference, just sometimes it makes the run more miserable. I definitely like the idea of scaling tradeoffs and more engaging/gameplay altering options

1 Like

I hate mutators cause they’re almost always bad; or just inconsequential to me. But having multiple bad ones is so annoying; like -15% AS and +15% ele res on an Ultos Warder in SR….yeah seeing Grava will make you insta quit. (Or ragequit after 4 deaths).

Can we just delete the damn things? Or, since we’re getting so many toggable options with the next patch….how about an option to toggle mutators off? Please pretty please? Or at least reduce the number of total mutators so the chance of being double or triple fucked is less?

The way I see it is; it only hurts all players on all ends of the spectrum. Both legit players trying to farm SR, and top builders (nerds like @mad_lee , @romanN1 , @banana_peel etc…) suffer. Casual scrubs who don’t play endgame won’t be affected either way, amirite?

This is actually a pretty good suggestion.

Let me just comment on your rule of thumb. I don’t think that content that the vast majority of players will ignore should not be designed - if so, no ARPG would have superbosses. Which would be a shame.

But there is a good deal of truth in what you say, in this sense: if even the players who are interested in such difficult content decide to skip it due to mutator combo, that is a good reason to revise the mutators (or any part of game that causes even the interested players to skip it)

1 Like

I feel the need to point out that increasing enemy level and, with it, general pool of monster stats, is by far the worst modifier that could possibly happen in GD. It offsets the balance of player and enemy crits so fundamentally, and it’s going to be a one-way ticket for many of the off-meta builds to “don’t ever touch mutators” station.

As it stands now, the situations where the mutator combo is actively unplayable is, statistically, very rare. You can get some crippling shit like enemy resist to your damage, but you can also pull something beneficial with it, and cases of mutators just collectively gangbanging you are very very rare. I really like that, as opposed to POE where a single mutator can mean a bricked unplayable map.

2 Likes

Its true that even some of the brightest builds out there get easily wrecked when bad mutators occur.

1 Like

Mutators is one of the if not the weakest and uninspired point in the entire game. Random player or mob stat change that doesn’t affect the gameplay itself, doesn’t affect rewards in any way and only serves as irritation point.

There are only two mutators that affect gameplay - acid one that makes crowds of trash mobs significantly more dangerous and + crit one that is so funnily ridiculously overtuned you basically have to make all SR ready builds “crit mutator proof”.

I would like for mutators to 1) stop affecting the player 2) alter the gameplay, there is more than enough tools in the game for that.

1 Like

I’m a noob playing for fun, I’m not a min-maxer and I quite like the mutators. Its forces me to build defences not thin as paper.
There is “some” excitement when discovering which mutators have been drawn. And I enjoy the fact that some runs are harder than others: it brings diversity when farming.
Finally, I don’t care if a SR 75-76 run will take me 10 or 12 mins.

2 Likes

I think this is missing the forest for the trees.

By my suggestion above, even if we took it literally (e.g., +10 enemy levels/mutator), you could reasonably take 2-3 mutators before the OA/DA changes begin to become unwieldy. Consider the below as an example, with Avris Marrowill at Level 109, 119, and 129 at SR75:

(This is a mildly flawed example because I think you’d encounter Avris at 107/117/127, but I took the screenshots before realizing that)

If we were to compare the OA/DA to a superboss like Mogdrogen it would look pretty scary indeed!

But most of Mog’s superboss damage is coming from his much higher core stats (Spirit) of which his is 50% higher than a theoretical two-mutator Avris. Moreover, Mog’s base damage is ~40-50% higher too, making the scaling even wider beyond Avris. Point being, level doesn’t really tell the whole story.

And this is also assuming we’re not getting any benefits from mutators, which wouldn’t be the case. That’s…kind of the whole point.

Currently benefits gained from mutators are generally very negligible whereas detriments are often quite tangible if not build/run breaking. 6% Aether/Chaos Res (+Max Res) is a lot less helpful than -15% AS/-20% CS is damaging.

Plus, as far as the endgame meta is concerned, raising enemy level (and thusly enemy OA) with mutator count has the added effect of solving our current DA crisis (in which DA is worthless).