one-shots in crucible/hardcore balance

Were you hit by his vitality wave attack (the one where he shoots out a ton of projectiles at once)? That seems like the most likely attack that can do such extreme damage, but it’s pretty easy to avoid. Maybe it should have a charge up animation like Bolvar has so it’s a little more obvious when he is going to use it.

Yeah, that seems to be the one. He actually does have a cast animation for it (raises his scepter thing for a second), but the damage it does is disproportionately high. Nothing else I encountered in this game even comes close.

P.S. I remember in the development update thread you said factions were disabled because otherwise enemies would attack each other.

Well, I think the Mad Queen aggros some enemies, I saw it beating the crap out of an aetherial floating pylon thing last run.

Thank goodness. I was cruising along on Challenger difficulty when IM decided I’d had enough. It was a 2-shot rather than one, but it was way out of line with what everything else was hitting me for.

The only thing that kills me in challenger is a fabius/iron maiden/some other nemesis spawn. Those two really hit so much harder than everything else.

Edit:

I just remembered that even with nearly 2500 DA the maiden still had about 3% chance to crit me. That is in challenger, and in the main campaign that amount of DA is more than enough to avoid being crit by anything in ultimate. Feels fishy, especially since this is only challenger.

Funny thing. I was farming the Ultimate Zantarin for warrants, and decided to let him hit me with his barrage attack. It wasn’t even close to Crucible Zantarin damage.

I legit think Zantai accidentally or “accidentally” moved a decimal for the crucible variant of the guy somewhere.

The problem with shotgunning is, the crit chance is independent per projectile. In practice, damage varies from meh to a oneshot. The higher the level/damage of the mob, the more noticeable it gets.

Zantarin oneshotted my Witchblade tank equipped with 5 piece Markovians set. I had over 21k HP with blessings and buffs. What happened was I used blitz strike on him the moment he did his shotgun attack, and I got wasted for all my HP. Menhirs was off CD and it didn’t even proc. That does way too much damage. Nothing in the game should hit for that amount of damage. My VIT resist was over 80% and I had damage mitigation from other sources on top of that. Still got oneshotted.

Long time lurker, first time poster… because the subject is really bugging me.

After reading Mosts post about his HC character death I decided not to play Crucible. Seeing that I play HC-only I don’t play it at all.

Playing russian roulette with my HC character so that he can get one shot by Zantarin or just land a very bad mix of Nemesis bosses that wipe me out is not my kind of fun.

IMO Crucible is not suited for HC.
If the point of Crucible is to have fun and benchmark builds, then HC characters shouldn’t permanently die. The Tribute system could also allow you to buy lives or implement some other lifegiving possibility for HC.

Amazing game nontheless.

Zantarin can definitely one-shot you on aspirant difficulty. Iron maiden, Fabius, Anasteria and the Sentinel can be tricky, but at least you can fight them, and keep a eye out for your health. You can rely on your passive and use skills to counter it.

1 Like

The mobs appear to do the same amount of damage across all difficulties in crucible. The difference is they got less HP on the lower difficulties, and your resists are lowered on the higher difficulties.

I agree with this about HC. Definitely doesn’t seem like a good DLC for HC.

SC players who die still get a reward for their time spent. Not as much as if they live, but still something. HC characters are just done… I understand the concept of HC, but seems like based on the mechanics/difficulty of the crucible failing in the crucible should be treated more like a “knockout” then “death”… It kind of is treated like that for SC players as you don’t just pick up where you left off. You get your reward and have to start over. In the main campaign you just pick up where you left off with the boss (if dying while fighting them) just gets healed some. “Knockouts” do break away from the idea of HC, but this is a DLC and NOT the main game… It is supposed to be and additional mode that is fun to play! Toning down monsters in order to not one shot players to accommodate HC players will only make it that much more easy for SC players who currently just need to retry the waves. I’m not saying they probably shouldn’t be at least toned down some, but making it so people have little worry of dying in the crucible takes away the fun of the challenge (as the fun from loot is still lacking…)

I mostly died when I didnt notice fast enough active mirror on enemy or Zantarin shotgun issue… I am speaking about Aspirant and Challenger difficulty.

Zantarin is the toughest Nemesis imo besides Fabius. I never know what the heck he’s even doing mainly because i only get to face him on a profile that i play rarely

I was thinking of unlocking Zantarin with my Witchblade and Warder, but i’m reading horror stories of people being blasted in the face with a vitality shotgun attack.

Does anybody know exactly when he uses the shotgun attack?

Iron Maiden is much harder than Fabius, he hits much harder and his Damage over time hurts too quite a lot.

With Zantarin never rush him in close range untill he use his wide multi-projectiles vitality attack. After he did, you can go up close to him, he won’t use that attack once your beside him. Also, ReachfortheSky told me the ‘‘dark zantarin summons’’ can lower your resist so he will still hurt you in close range but it should be manageable.

For some reason dash seems to time correctly for a shotgun to the face

I died in challenger at wave 149 by x2 zantarin. He is op with that shotgun attack. And anestaria reducing some of my res to 40% is too much too. I can facetank ultimate mad queen easily yet die instantly in challenger.

Here is the stats of my char in ultimate with buffs that are up all the time in combat:

page 1: http://prntscr.com/c47r4k

Page 2: http://prntscr.com/c47rig

Page 3: http://prntscr.com/c47rma

I don’t think I should be dying instantly with these stats in only challenger. There seems to be no reason to play a tank as too many monsters have luck based, unfair moves. It makes me bored of the game.

My death: http://prntscr.com/c47sal

still 4600 highest dmg taken so not sure how much his shots do each.

1 Like

wow that’s crazy. i guess he hit you on your achilles heel by further debuffing your vit res and then he shotgunned you. still tho, with those stats, i would be pissed.

The mobs scale to your level, so they do the same amount of damage in aspirant/challenger as they do in gladiator considering you’re already level 85. Only difference is you got lower resists in the higher difficulties, and the mobs got lower HP in the lower difficulties.

I assume you were using all buffs available, including offensive+defensive banners and blessings? That’s really weird you got oneshotted by Zantarin, you should have had enough DA to eliminate any chance of getting critted.

No I wasn’t inside a banner as I ran towards zantarin so he wouldn’t use that ability and I was about to kill him but since there was 2 of them the other was slightly away from me enough to use his shotgun attack and it killed me one hit.

Still even if the mobs do scale I shouldn’t have been instantly killed. All this time farming bis gear, about 1k hours for this one character and all the time planning to make him as tanky as possible and I die not even on the hardest setting because some bosses have OP attacks.