Poll: Component Completion Bonuses

Wow, really? I thought it went like forum/fora or phenomenon/phenomena, but then again we say forums, so… didn’t know that, thanks!

I find that rather than adding versatility to my components the completion bonus randomization usually just renders the component bad. It can really leave a bad taste in your mouth when you are completing your third hallowed ground only to get energy absorption/%energy…for the third time in a row.

Why bother having so many components spawn with such a large range of stats when so many turn out useless? Is it really a positive thing to have 100 different versions of vicious spikes when only atk spd / %OA are considered good?

Because they are also crafting ingredients. Would you craft something with a component that had a great completion bonus roll? No. The completion bonus turns a single item drop into two totally different things: 1) something you socket into items to improve your build, and 2) scrap that you use to craft with.

Would I use something with a good bonus to craft? Definitely - if I had spares OR wanted the item enough. If not that is a problem with either drop rates or the value of the crafting system.

In fact random bonuses do not accomplish these two goals you list that well because goal 1 of a useful socketable is frequently foiled by a useless bonus!

I still don’t see a good argument why exceedingly rare components should be rendered largely useless (and not rarely - useless completion bonuses are the norm!) because of a bad roll. This also encourages duping saves to check and make sure you use the ‘right’ seed item when crafting said rare components.

Sheesh…this is a difficult decision.

On the one hand the pro’s look very tempting but on the other hand something like armour plating could become useful for casters (or lots of other types).

I like the fact that with components you know what you need to find (the component type itself) but it could be something far more useful (the random completion bonus). But like I said, the pro’s look damn good (and it seems like Zantai is leaning towards the change).

The question is (and forgive me if it has been asked already) can the change be made and reverted (fairly easily) if it is found to be undesirable?

I would like to try it first and since this is Alpha, if it breaks my characters, so be it…

As it stands, this decision is almost too difficult to make…:undecided:

I’m going with a ‘no’-

The chase of a good item is what keeps things interesting, even during lulls in good equipment drops.

Although it does distract from the story, when I am too busy thinking about the next component I need to score, it keeps me playing. There is also not much of a story to worry about distraction…I just want to play to keep upgrading. The only real concern is inventory space.

Add a way to shelve components/items into unlimited storage and I could have more fun playing than with any predetermined game mechanics.

There’re 21 random compleition bonuses for the viscious spike.
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/2470-Vicious-Spikes

I have another question for you.
Is it really a good thing to have weapons without attack speed? Let’s make weapons with always at least 10% attack speed because i always use weapons with attack speed. I mean I start considering a weapon if it has attack speed.

Joke aside, randomisation is part of that type of game (arpg/Hack’n Slash). And RNG stay RNG. In fact, it’s part of that feeling of of getting better gear over time and making your character stronger. Would you rather have totaly random stats on components? I think that right now it has best of both world, a part of the component is fixed and good enought to make you want use it right away and you have a random part with the compleition bonus which is supposed to make you want to grind more the game.

Futhermore, depending of how they change it for fixed stats only, you would still end up having your components quite fast. But once you have it, you’ll lose total interest toward picking up UNLESS they do things like that :

• More components
  • Make components that scale close to the max lvl.
  • Epic/Legendary components
  • They could get rid off the parts, so all component could always drop completed and reduce a bit the actual drop rate.

By doing this, everyone would be happy, I think. Those that like to farm for better gear would have epic/legendary components and everyone would have a better inventory management because components would stack.

The component system is a good way to circumvent RNG esp. in ARPGs which involve RNG heavily. Thus, having randomization in a feature with the purpose of introducing some needed consistency isn’t very coherent IMO.

At least in GD, one can simply farm for more components with only time as the sunken cost. D3’s enchanting supposedly fulfills the same purpose but randomizes stats ad infinitum, not only with higher weights applied to desirable stats, but also higher sunken costs including gold and materials for each try, punishing the player for no mistake on their end.

That is a road no game should be taking. Not saying that GD would go down this path, but just quoting a specific example to highlight how randomization (in general) draws a fine thin line between replayability and utter frustration.

The issue regarding stash space is also equally as significant. I’ve filled up 3 pages of my shared stash with components and inventory management is not so intuitive as we have to manage and merge partial components. Thank God for the auto-merge button. I think I might go crazy if there isn’t such a button. :rolleyes: Still, inventory management can be made simpler as highlighted in the OP.

What do these people who have multiple stash tabs of completed components do with them? What are you keeping them for?

If I picked up every component that dropped I wouldn’t have any space either, but I don’t need them so I don’t keep them.

Keeping something for the sake of keeping them and then complaining about stash space isn’t a problem that should be solved with such drastic measures removing randomization.

I started to fill some mules. But I still voted No.
I just started to keep them for testing/crafting purposes.
I would change to Yes if they do what I’m saying in my last post before this one (same page probably)

I voted no, the random completion bonus adds a nice bit of character customization to me, though I would like to see the number of different completion bonuses reduced.

Is there really no possibility for a middle ground? Like, what about the option of reducing the number of completion bonuses to 3-5 per component, all relevant to the component, removing the variance and allowing components with the same completion bonus to stack. By giving one completion bonus a higher chance to roll, players would more likely get a stack of the component with that completion bonus instead of multiple components with different completion bonuses.
It would help with stash space a bit and could allow for easier crafting by having stacked components in the crafting UI, allowing the player to keep clicking on “craft” until a stack runs out. It would also still allow for it to add to character customization. It wouldn’t make it more possible to use components for quests or bounties, but maybe potions or other craftable items could be used instead.

Is it possible to set the random completion bonuses only when the component is used ?
And if once applied the bonus don’t suit you, you’ll have to remove (destroy) the component to use another one.

So we can stack / craft easily, and the random completion still exist ?

(sorry for my english :eek:)

It may be stupid, but what if the bounties simply asked for individual parts and not the whole component?

Let’s say: Bring us 5 (or more, up to you and the difficulty of the said bounty, which would also make some variety between the bounties) chipped claws (parts) to get the reward.

Is not that the easiest solution? You would kinda “force” people to start hunting for the components after picking the bounty right away, because storing up the individual parts would be too tedious to do due to limited inventory (this is also this idea’s only downside too I guess, but people would store up the completed components as well anyway).

What do you think about it?

I have almost 700 hrs played, I like to be able to find different stuff as in better gear and better components. If I can’t get better stuff then why play anymore? A question… So what exactly do we get from completing bounties? more xp as a reward? [ pointless once you are at max lvl] some sweet gear to make up for the lost ability to have different component comp bonus? Will you make the same gear with more varied stats to fit your build and make it better, faster, stronger than before? If the bounties require a certain component, what is there to stop you from already having one[component] ready in the stash and just hand it over with out having to go anywhere or do anything for the bountie making the quest for it[bountie] pointless as well. Or are you going to make the bounties component the only one of that kind and only available in the games world after you accept the quest/bountie? Or are the bounties only candy sprinkles on a smartie [smartie: a small flat roundish candy coated piece of chocolate] and do not do anything different, or add to the games replayability.

Wow, reading your post makes me wonder why the Bounty is not set up like this:

Bring me back an X, here is the blueprint.
Then you go to the BS and give him the components you farmed and he crafts the X and then you turn in the Bounty and X is automatically removed from inventory.

But is not the bounty system made on the same basis with the completed components? Or am I getting it all wrong?

I did not read every message for now, but doesn’t this idea solves eveything ?
I mean you can stack components in your inventory for thousands without taking space and when you insert your completed component (without bonus) in your item the random bonus triggers :

• you keep space in your stash and can collect as many components as you want
  • you keep randomized bonuses
  • you can automatically select the materials from your inventory AND your stash
  • it allows the new opportunities for quests and bounties

If you don’t like it just dismantle and start again.
Of course when dismantling, if you choose to keep the completed component, it loses its bonus :you can only have Raw completed components in your stash.

and make the blueprint a component that gets consumed aswell (unique for each bounty), to make you actually go on the hunt instead of relying on your stash.

Sadly, IMO, no. The whole point of the bonus is to select the component you want to add. This just sounds like a lot of hassle.

Seems logical to me too, and that’s what I asked about in page 10, but damn, this thread grows fast!