[POLL] Should dying get a bigger penalty in SR?

Yeah. And I don´t understand the talk about “loot”. It´s a little bit…strange (to say the least :joy:).

Let´s face it (and this in no way an accusation): A lot of the builds presented here are made via GDStash. Loot (except perhaps Blueprints for collectors) isn´t important for a lot of people anymore.

So who should be penalized here? The people who level their builds and play self-found/trade for items?
I think someone made a proposal a while ago to give maximum loot at 150 and 150 to 170 is just for the “sports”. Would anyone really care if this change would be made?

3 Likes

I agree with you. We use GD stash and don’t care about loot. Imagine playing one of these builds SF, makes big difference if you’re getting full or reduced loot. And Crucible playing full glass builds. If I do 1 out of 10, I can present my build ( I am totally against that) as 5 minutes monster farmer ir beat with camera abuse SR 75 once in a blue moon and label it SR 75 capable. But if you care about loot you can’t afford to die in Crucible or loose timer. So penalized them further in SR or increasing Crucible difficultly will generally affect them more than you and me.

That’s why I am against the proposed changes, not that I disrespect people that support it, they have their reasonable arguments.

3 Likes

Honestly…when did we see a build posted here the last time that is tagged as Crucible Farmer or SR 75/76 Farmer and in reality had only one lucky shot?

Sure, some people like me just post a screenshot and nobody can proof it. But why should anyone lie about it?

No from me for some reasons.
Firstly, I agree with @Nery. We, builders, almost always use GD-stashed builds and can afford ourselves to craft everything we want and in whatever number we want.
But imagine a SF player that is going throw SR and is stopped with hard boss room. He dies a lot but finally completes it, decides to get reward and what he gets? 2 chests missing because of broken timer and some more chests because of deaths? This is not satisfying moment of getting rewarded, it’s like game’s spitting in your face for being too weak or too unlucky.
Secondly, SR and Cruci are different game mods. And one of their differences is that in SR you can afford yourself dying. So it should be left as it is.

10 Likes

Imo the timer should at least insta drop to 0 when you die, not letting you get the extra chest. But then again I don’t play SC so idc about this topic at all and you can just ignore this message.

Why do you even craft when you just GD stash anything anyway? :rofl:

Crafting items with GD stash = thug’s life :sunglasses:

Btw you, the hardcore players do get penalty from dying in SR but that’s not one chest less :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

One of the reasons for this is that the Build Compendium tags suggest that SR should be about survival. Since SR is too RNG to be timed, only the clear matters. Unlike c+ for which you gotta time.

Now, ANY BUILD IS SR+. If an endgame build is unable to clear 75 at all, it means it’s badly done. Crucible tags make a little more sense because some builds are physically unable to do sub 6. And the reason why even the most memetic build is SR+ is because you can die and get back to it like nothing happened. The only difficulty in SR is occasional RNG freak-outs. Even action game shooters are more restrictive because at least the game pulls you back to last save point and enemies usually respawn.

Survival is pretty much an antonym to dying. Without enough challenge, SR is little more than a hiking simulator.

Some people say what about non-endgame builds? That’s not hard to figure out once you realize there are 74 numbers before 75. The very fact that people claim the right to do the ultimate farming challenge with crap non-endgame builds shows how spoiled SR audience is!

1 Like

As I explained earlier, the game “spitting in your face with RNG” is a separate topic. And extra lives rarely save you from that spit.

This argument is a huge logical fallacy. Things are as they are so they should be left as they are? Before SR there was no SR so it should have been left as it was? SR shouldn’t have been made?

SR is main campaign content. The main campaign doesn’t punish players for death (besides XP loss and roguelike dungeons). It seems like most players don’t want this to be the case either, according to your poll which has marvelously backfired.

You already have a game mode which behaves exactly as you envision. Why would you want SR to be more like crucible when being unlike crucible is one of the main selling points of SR?

4 Likes

Or how dedicated they are as players.

1 Like

How so? On the contrary, saying no to this thread is basically like saying “I want it easy, I don’t want to put the extra effort to make my builds better, I am not dedicated to that”.

Wrong. In main game, you get loot from enemies. In SR, you get it after finishing a designated challenge. Just like Crucible.

This whole argument that SR in main game is not very convincing. It just happens to be in the same expansion as a main game content and is accessible from main game instead of main menu. Mechanics of SR are even more different from main game than Crucible.

No it didn’t. It was to be expected. Every change proposed to SR is received like that no matter what it is.

Nobody said anything about SR being like Crucible. My proposed change would actually draw a line between those modes (the speed vs. survival thing). As @banana_peel explained above, currently both modes reward speed and dps rather than survivability, and it’s the leniency towards dying that is the reason for that.

Why assume endgame farmers only? Plenty of people farm SR on Normal and Elite to get the gear they need to get them to endgame. Should they be penalised?

3 Likes

This may sound shocking but there are boss combos and situations you can’t beat no matter how good your build is. 1 MQ is enough in deep SR. Combine her with Gargabol, or Grava, or Cuba on the small arena and lemme see your efforts - as a melee build.

1 Like

They sure do but what exactly is the difference between loot with timer and without timer at those low levels? Thing is that you’re still getting loot and you’re still getting back in the game even if you die a hundred times. The word “penalized” is a bit strong here…

Please read my earlier posts if you wanna debate. Now I need to repeat myself. I claim that in those unbeatable RNG situations, lowering the number of deaths allowed doesn’t matter. You’re not making it in time anyway.

Not really since you used penalty in the thread’s title. The penalty is not as big on the lower difficulties, but is still there and affects them proportionally as it does players in Ultimate.

1 Like

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

You really wanna waste time and forum space picking out phrases and arguing semantics? You accuse me of trying to make SR just like Crucible and bring up as support a general statement about the value of uniqueness:

And I’m saying that’s not what it is. I just want deaths to affect the timer more. How would SR after this change be exactly like Crucible?

statement a bit too loud. there’s a plenty of really good builds that don’t have that tag as they’re too inconsistent for SR75+ or the builders are just lazy to push them so far. But that doesn’t make them bad any way.

1 Like

yes, that’s why SR is totally fine as it is in HC :smiley:
Except for multiplayer boss rooms, the aggro system still kinda sucks.

You haven´t leveled a toon for a long time, have you?

Look at the last 3 entries here: https://www.grimtools.com/checklist/quests/ultimate
3 Skill Points and 1 Attribute Point is not Main Campaign?

1 Like