Potions are not skills

Why have a cool down on health and energy potions when they are not skills. I have played many ARPG games and never had the potions considered skills. You drink them, not use them as a skill. You can’t fight monsters with potions, so why call them skills when they are not. By the way I like the upgrade so far on GD.

1 Like

potions always had cooldown in grimdawn, it’s so it doesn’t become a (unrealistic) potion spammer simulator and char/build find different ways to solve your healing or mana management and have to actually incorporate it into your char/build instead of just chugging 500 pots 24/7 during combat…
think of it as an emergency heal instead
and if you want a thematic/“lore” reason could think of the cooldown as way to prevent toxicity from overuse :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’ve to agree with the OP → it’s nonsense. I vote for renaming it as “Endless”,- or “Infinite”-Consumable, which is a magical trinket / item which by autogathering all floating energy around the world to recharge it over a few seconds so we can use it again. But a skill is definitely wild. It was definitely more realistic/authentic at good ol’ days where we carried like a few stacks of 100 Healtpots/Energypots.

1 Like

Not sure what you find unrealistic in the current implementation.
You carry a health pot with you and take a sip from it if needed.
You cannot drink more than every 12 seconds because then you would get poisoned / addicted.
It’s more believable than carrying hundreds of potions with you all the time.

3 Likes

This and the overall QoL this feature brings is very nice on top.
No more pointless cluttering ur inventory with countless pots. :point_up:

Impo this is nothing but complaining at a high level.

1 Like

1 Like

where is my bottomless everclear bottle?!?

In other games potions are PANIC BUTTOMS, the same for this game. The new update delete the outdated mechanic of having hundreds of potions in your inventory

1 Like
1 Like

The cool down of 25 seconds is ridiculous, and it’s more than that. I timed the energy and it took 35 to 40 seconds to refill, the health is faster, but as a caster you need the energy a lot quicker. These are still not SKILLS, and not as a panic button, and shouldn’t be classified as skills. I realize you can use life and mana leach, but very few items grant these. The logic video I didn’t appreciate, maybe you should eat a glass bottle and see what it’s like. The cool down should be removed as it is useless and the times are wrong. A five or ten second cool down would be better. Another point is you don’t get enough energy when refilling like you do with health. There should be a balance to it and there isn’t. I like not having to carry potions, it frees up those slots for skills. Many thanks for those who replied, but it still needs to be changed again to something more suitable.

i think you’re misunderstanding some function there friendo
mana pot restores a fixed amount; and it’s not 100%; but the amount it restores is instant as listed

old pots were still classed as skills, you could even slot them to the hotbar just as such
again you have some fundamental misunderstandings goin on how pots worked then and now

it serves a specific purpose in terms of management as explained earlier; you not liking that it’s not a pot spam simulator and never intended to be doesn’t change that →

times fit

there is; which is exactly why they have the amounts they do

3 Likes

OP, are you new to the game? Because this is how potions have ever worked since the beginning, only that now they removed the irrelevant aspect of having to collect them, because after a certain point you started amassing more potions than you could ever spend.

What you suggest is ridiculous. If you have to constantly shove potions down your throat to even exist, then you need to rethink your playstyle and how you’re building your char.

4 Likes

GD is now 1 step removed from becoming diablo3 with the potions. and if the energy potion would to be removed it would be like diablo3. (except for the missing mana gain skill yeah yeah)

so @ GD2 please don’t become diablo3. i get the removal of the potions. even though it removes possible early game struggles. which you can upkeep if you play SSF each character.

the diablo 2 potion system was not good. the GD old and new potion system is not good or bad. the diablo 3 health potions are now the same as GD and the mana system sucks.

the game to look at for a interesting potion system is path of exile. it’s unrivaled in the ARPG genre. maybe GD2 doesn’t need all the potions next to the health and mana potions (but i would welcome them).

but an interesting pool of health and mana potions to choose from change modifiers on them and refill though combat would be great.

My friend, the next expansion of the game will give better use to potions with different bonuses, remember that you should always inform yourself before commenting.
good day

thank you !

first i disagree, it’s “just” a video game, it’s ok to not have the latest info and there shouldn’t be an expectation to keep up with everything, but i also have no problem if you disagree with that.

also i only care about what could be in GD2, i don’t think it’s possible to salvage a potion system that far into the game and elevate it to a path of exile “level of interesting”. (which also isn’t perfect but i think the best system to build upon.)

so yeah my comment was directed to a possible GD2, if the GD expansion improves some stuff great. but i hope GD2 doesn’t build up on the GD potion system but starts from scratch, looking at path of exile.

Potions were literally changed for the upcoming expansion. Cuz the way I see it, new “potion customization” is gonna be just like skill modifiers, so you need pots to be, well… skills.

Not a huge fan of respec potions being removed from loot pool though. Such a random change.

1 Like

gd2? step on the ground friend, you have to make useful comments for what is coming, not for something that is not even in mind.

1 Like

it’s weird, even tho i never used them, not getting random elixir drops during levelling has felt kinda “off” to me. More so than missing the respec tonics atleast, unsure if because already had a zillion of them/obtain them from quests or mentally fine with crafting them at the smith :thinking:
but my new char’s bags no longer getting the various other has left me with that strange wanting :sweat_smile:

1 Like

there won’t be ground breaking changes for something coming in 2024, so step on the ground too, buddy.