Problem: Adding a custom NPC with a custom Quest.

Hey!

I have recently picked up an old mod that i started on when the modkit came out. I’m making a little self-contained world, with a new map, quests, npc and story, etc.

I’m at the point now where the map is kindof done and i’m starting to add the other stuff. Problem is, I cant seam to figure out howto add a custom nps with my custom quests. I have looked all over the place and experimented with teh mod tutorial but im getting nowhere.

Can some please help me and push me in the right direction. My current goal is to add a an npc that you run into when you make a new character that has a quest that sends you on your way in the world.

Requires some hassle.

-You must set up a quest in the quest editor.
-You must make a new npc. (Better copy an existing one, like Barnabas)
-You must make a conversation in the conversation editor, and assign the conversation file to the appropriate field in their file. (And quest ID if you want quest markers)
-You must append the quest in the world editor for it to finally work.

(Auto-building assets between each step and such I did not mentio as I consider them given)

Why don’t you download a simple mod and reverse engineer it? The modding tutorial mod is quite good for this. Got you nowhere I noticed just now.

Wut? The Modding Tutorial world literally has all that stuff in it for reference.

Now, now, don’t get touchy, I didn’t say the tutorial was bad, on the contrary it served me fine and allowed me to create some rudimentary world. The op says it got him nowhere.

I had many head scratching moments at times myself, but that was more caused by the logic (or lack of) of quests, than the tools themselves. I.e. if you haven’t thought the quest out exactly, there’s a big chance it won’t work.

Edit: tutorial videos are perfect for this kind of thing, I don’t know if any of the guys has recorded one (ceno maybe?). If not, I could do an imgur album if I have time later.

Ye I found on video tutorial from Ceno but that one was about masteries, good one but not really what I was looking for.

My file-structure was kindof different from the ModTutorials as well, maybe that has changed since last I worked on it. Maybe I should just start something new and not spend so much time on the building of the map and make sure I can get the mechanics of the mod running first. Cheers for the answer though.

That would be best. A single tile of map, try out some conversations, a single quest etc. Try to simplify the quest steps.

For example, in a quest I wanted the reward to come as the player neared an npc. So I had to place a volume trigger and copy over and mangle some scripts in order to have it to work. I could have very well just give the reward upon… talking to the npc, which is sooo much easier to do in the conversation editor. Why bother perplexing things?

Think simple and don’t be frustrated if it doesn’t work out at first.

And sorry Zantai if you feel that I insulted you.

Be happy you have any semblance of a head left to scratch. :smiley:

Jeez, did it come out that wrong?:undecided: I didn’t strike out the modding tutorial part to be a meanie, I just saw that zackiz had already tried that, so instead of editing that part out of my post, I added the “got nowhere” part right next to it to show that I had missed it during my original answer.

All I meant is I have scratched my head straight off for some things, like last night trying to give an alert sound to an enemy that uses pc animations and that seemingly lacked any alert animations, but really having no idea what was the problem, just blindly changing things up and praying it might somehow eventually work.

The modding guide is fine, it just scratches the surface of what is possible, however.

Anyway, I encourage anyone that is serious about modding to post threads like this or join the discord server and seek out the modding channel. We are getting more numerous week by week.

So a small update: I think i might have gotten it to work, not completly done yet but hey, progress! Something i was sorely lacking before, so cheers!

That’s great zackiz! Can you accept the quest in-game? What parts aren’t working as you expected?

That’s a method I’m very very familiar with.:smiley:

I made a discord account but I don’t see a modding channel in there. What gives?

Premade quests seams to work, just trying to get repeatable Q working, adapting the Q to work in my own mod and stuff, but that’s fine. Now I have something to do xD At least things are moving forward and is not lingering in this nomansland of despair :slight_smile:

I highly recommend you take detailed notes about what you learn too. If you are so inclined, you can always use a forum post as a place to share/immortalize those notes. :wink:

@randomspawn (check PMs)

Hehe too late xD Might do that thought when I implement this into my mod, still faffing around in the testenviroment.

Are you saying that you have a secret modding channel on Discord nudge