How do I use editor to edit Cairn in my mod?

Hello. I’m trying to make a custom NPC along with custom mobs, place them on modded Cairn and set some related quests but I’m having a hard time even on getting started. I DID find how to make a custom NPC from this post;

But how do I actually place them via Editor? All I’m getting is this at this stage.

Where do I go from here? Please help me. I really want to get this done. :frowning: Thank you.

I see you’ve made your own mod, this is great, you’re half way there. What you need now is the world001.wrl file. But unfortunately, when Asset Manager extracts all the Grim Dawn files it doesn’t extract the map files.

You need to use separate programs to actually extract and convert the files.

ArchiveTool, Grimarc and MapDecomp. These are command line tools and trust me, it’s a real pain to do.

But after a lot of trial and error, I’ve finally managed to extract the latest version of the game’s map. So if you have the latest version of the game (with both expansion packs) I’d be happy to upload the files for you so you don’t have to go through all the hassle of doing it yourself.

Then all you’ll need to do is copy the files to your mod and build it. You should then be able to open the world001.wrl in the Editor and make your changes.

Let me know if you’d like them.

1 Like

I would very very very much like them please! How should we make this gracious transfer? Hahaha :joy:
I will send you my email address via message service of this forum. Thank you.

No worries, here you go (I’ll post the link here in case others want it as well):

GDX2 World Map Files

I’ve included a readme with instructions on how to use them as well. Let me know if everything uploaded ok (the extracted file should be about 3.60 GB in size).

But a word of advice, if you’re new to all this, start out small. What you want to do is pretty advanced stuff. So I suggest you follow a couple of tutorials first:

Start out making your own small world to get a handle on how the Editor works. I’m not kidding when I tell you the world map is HUGE! And it’s very easy to screw things up if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Best of luck to you :smiley:

1 Like

One last thing, I’ve already done something similar to what you want to do (only I made my own map for it).

I wrote it up as a tutorial, but I never published it, because it’s very involved and complicated and I didn’t think anybody would be able to follow it.

But I’ll give you the link, cause it might be of help to you:

Hope it helps :smiley:

1 Like

Again, Thank you so much! This would help me great amount. Before, I had no worries or what so ever about editing this part of the mod but now that you mention it, I realized I just didn’t know what I was really getting into. Hahahaha. But thanks to your guidance I am certain I won’t be challenged as much as I was going to be should I have done this alone. :slightly_smiling_face: