Simple Map Making for Dummies

So, someone sent me a message asking for a bit of advice on how to set up a mod so you can start playing around with all that stuff. I may have gotten carried away and made an entire guide… sortof.

Thought I’d post it here. It’s short, simple, and should hopefully get you working on your own mod pretty quick.

And just so you know, this isn’t a guide about making the map itself, rather just getting things setup so you can make and play with your world as you make it.

Use the Asset Manager first. Under Tools, select Extract Game Files to the default location, which should be directly to the Grim Dawn install location. It’ll take a while to extract about 5gb worth of data. This should give you everything you need to start working on the map. (I think)

Once it’s all done, go to the top, select Mod, and then New. Put in a name for your mod and select OK. This set up the folders and stuff needed for your new mod.

Exit out of Asset Manager and open up Editor, it’ll give you a little window. In the dropdown box at the top, select your mod you just made, and then just put in a name for your mod in the File Name spot and select OK.

A black screen will meet you. At the top where to toolbar is, select Region and select Add New Terrain, which gives you a terrain region to mess with.

You’ll get another little box, where you can name that terrain, and then pick how big it is. in the big window of it, open up Source, and then select Maps. This’ll put the terrain into that folder, where it belongs.

Edit: After a Patch, 256x256 is no longer an available size. Biggest is 128x128

Now that you’ve done that, you’ll have a colorful little box on the screen. You can do this several times, and then use the arrows on a box you have selected to move them around and shape the general world.

Now the fun part happens. Select one of those terrains, and then in the bottom right, select Editor Mode. You get a close up of your WORLD. Now you can get to the fun part. Put things in it, makes some holes, color the holes, fill the holes with water. If you’re creative enough to figure it out, fill the holes with lava instead! Might be a good idea to look around in the items section and find the Spawn Point, so you can choose where you’re going to appear when you start.

Once you’re done messing with it, go back to Layout Mode, open up the Build tab, And select both Rebuild all Pathing and Rebuild all Maps (or if its a really big map with lots of areas, and you only changed a few of them, then rebuild Selected… is what you use so you don’t rebuild the entire world every time you move a stick.)

You’ll get something that looks kinda like this.

Then select File and Save All. Exit the Editor.

Open up the Asset Manager, and make sure the Editor is closed, or you wont let you do this stuff. Select the Mod tab at the top, and then whatever you named your mod. Find your .wrl file, right click it, and select Auto-Create Asset. Once that finishes, go to Build, and select Build. Once it’s done, your map is ready for playing. (I hope)

To pack it up for others to play, first make a folder somewhere that is the same name as your mods folder name (in my case it’s “Testaria mod”). Inside that folder, you want to make two folders, one named “database” and the other named “resources”.

Then go into the actual mod, which should be found in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods” or wherever you might have Grim Dawn installed. open up the database folder and grab “database.arz” and “templates.arc” and put it in the database of the other folder. Then open up resources, grab all “.arc” files in it, and stick it into the appropriate folder. Then take your now ready to play folder, compress it (i recommend .7z) and now it’s ready for others to play, without being able to mod it themselves.

Remember: In order to make any sort of changes in the Asset Manager, the Editor must be closed.

I THINK i covered everything i needed to. At least for a basic guide. If i missed anything or went out of order, lemme know.

As I work on my own map and learn things about it myself, I may post another Dummies guide to map design.

Additional issues:

[spoiler]

Oh yes, this is actually something i can answer! If you don’t select a region when in layout mode, this will happen when in editor mode. It doesn’t have a region to center on, so it defaults to absolutely nothing.

You can fix this by going up to the top and open up the drop down bar, and select one of your regions from that. Then you’ll be centered on the region you chose. This will be especially helpful when you start making really big maps and don’t wanna drag yourself around to find one, or you make caves somewhere and you wanna jump to it really quick.[/spoiler]

Attachment: AssetmanagerCrash.JPG
Attachment: AssetLog.jpg
Attachment: AssetManager.jpg
Attachment: 20160630190844_1.jpg
Attachment: Assetmanager.jpg

2 Likes

Hi Mirenheart,
Thank for your tutorial.
Is it possible to make a map and add it to the original game world, without recompiling all the game assets ?
For example if I just want to add a small side area to the game world connecting with a riftgate, do I need to import all game file and compile every game area ?

+50 for this one, awesome, thank you!

I haven’t really tried honestly.

But if you could get ahold of the mod files for the main game, you would only need to redo the pathing and map on the parts of the map you modify. And i think it’ll only rebuild those parts of the maps too in the asset manager, though im not sure.

To be honest, my knowledge of this stuff doesnt go much farther than what I put in this guide,

Thanks for taking time to write the guide Mirenheart!

However, same like with other mod trial i tried, when i attempt to rebuild pathing, this always happen.

edit:

Another question is, dont we need to set player spawn point for the map to be able to load?

nevermind, i found that i dont need to set spawn point. it set to default apparently.

thanks!

nothing to worry about:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37777

Ah i see! Thanks for pointing that out!

Mirenheart, my map is working now but actually what i’m doing differently this time is just closing the editor and asset manager each time i’m switching to each other. also i close asset manager before launching grim dawn. I’m not entirely sure about this but it might worth mentioning in your guide.

I think i actually mentioned that already. In order to make any sort of changes in the Asset Manager, the Editor must be closed. I’ll make another note of it at the end too.

Few oddities that I’ve noticed when making new Regions:

They first start off with a lighter texture but when I zoom out a bit too much everything becomes darker - not sure how to get the light back to how it was so that it’s easier to see details.

Sometimes the whole editor mode is just grayed out and you can’t see regions at all.

Ah nice Mirenheart. Haven’t really messed with the mod tools but maps and messing with terrain can be fun and I may give this a go later today and get my feet wet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Nvm found that if you maximize/restore down it fixes the initial lighting.

edit: Rather frustrating though.

I never noticed any issues with the lighting beyond not being able to keep the time of day at a fixed time.

Oh yes, this is actually something i can answer! If you don’t select a region when in layout mode, this will happen when in editor mode. It doesn’t have a region to center on, so it defaults to absolutely nothing.

You can fix this by going up to the top and open up the drop down bar, and select one of your regions from that. Then you’ll be centered on the region you chose. This will be especially helpful when you start making really big maps and don’t wanna drag yourself around to find one, or you make caves somewhere and you wanna jump to it really quick.

So there seems to be wrong when testing my map as the character can’t move at all - any idea on what might be causing that?

Did you paint any impassable area’s under them, put them on an incline that might be too steep, or possibly place them too close to an object?

its in the guide but still going to make sure you “Rebuild Paths” and Maps and compiled (Build) your mod again after, with the asset manager.
Because thats usually the issue I get when I didnt do any of that :slight_smile:

Figured it out thanks.

i Followed the tutorial and i can select my mod “TestMod” in main menu. But instead using my “Testworld” with the one “Testregion” it shows a “world001.map” that is similar to the main campaign. does anyone know this problem? i Tried with and without spawnpoint and in my Testmod folder there is no single File or Folder thats named world001…

Edit: i almost forgot to write that the asset manager crashes every time i build after changeing something in the editor. before it crashes i can read the line Build Time 0.1seconds. If i start it again it does build without errormessage, but takes 0.0 seconds and doesnt seem to do anything

Do you build all pathing, all maps in the editor, then close the editor and then build your mod with asset manager ? Because you can’t build your mod with the editor open and if you overclick the asset manager it will crash.