[Solved] Regions Fail to Save / Custom World Opens Campaign Map

Update: Solved!
I don’t know if the actual solution is to keep your world and terrain files all in the Maps folder, but that did the trick for me.

For noobs like me following either Crate’s guide or Mirenheart’s guide:
When you ‘Create a New World’ in Editor, make sure you save the file in the Maps folder:

create_new_world

Then after you’ve worked on the map do the normal things as the guides recommend:

1. Go to Layout Mode.
    1a. Select Build > Rebuild Selected Pathing (or Rebuild All Pathing)
    1b. Select Build > Rebuild Selected Map (or Rebuild All Maps)
  2. File > Save All
  3. Close Editor, open Asset Manager and select your mod (Mod > Select > ‘ModName’)
  4. In the ‘Sources’ tab select Maps and find your .wrl file, then Auto-Create Asset

auto_create_asset

1. In the “Assets” tab select Maps, right click your .map file, and click Build:

assets_build

And that should do it.

Original Post:

I’m sorry if this has been posted before, the search function on the forums is not cooperating with me.

Im following the official PDF guide provided in the base game install in addition to the Mirenheart’s guide simple map making for dummies up until the “Rebuild All Pathing” part.

I get the error:

Processing Maps\NewBeginning.lvl...
WARNING: 1 region(s) failed to save!
WARNING: One or more regions could not be saved!

I’ve already referenced this thread where someone had a similar issue. But no solution there.

I did try Build > Rebuild All Maps, and that part worked. Rebuild Path did not work after that still.

I save the project again in Editor, and try launching the mod/world in Grim Dawn game. I see my custom game in the custom game list, however it has (world001.map) which is the default Grim Dawn campaign map. And that’s what it loads when I launch that custom game.

Following the guide exactly I should be able to get into my world. I do have a player spawn and respawn point in the world (in fact it’s fairly bare bones, aside from some trees).

I have a suspicion it might have something to do with the Build and Working directories but I didn’t touch those, and neither did either of the tutorials.

That always happens when building the pathing.
When you try to exit the editor it will ask you to save the regions. Or you can manually save from File->Save all.

The step you are probably missing is building the map.
In Asset Manager under Source files you have to auto-create asset.

Then you can either in Asset manager you can go Archive->Build or in Assets folder, locate the file right click and build it.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your time & your reply.

In the editor, I did Force Save All. I am able to reopen the map in Editor, so the saving part seems to work.

I did do “auto-create asset” on my .wrl file in the Sources tab previously. Here is the window I get after doing it now:
asset_file_exists

When I try Archive > Build, I get the following result:
archive_build

However, when I locate the file in the Assets tab, then right click > Build, Asset Manager closes with no errors or anything.

In the Assets panel I do see this:
map_status

As a side question, does it matter where I place my world file? In Mirenheart’s guide, they place the world file in the source file of the mod. For the regions, they place in the Maps folder in Source.

A little development…

I got it working on another mod I made earlier today to troubleshoot the issue.

For the “working” mod, the .wrl file and region files are all in the “Maps” folder.

I right click > Auto-Create Asset on my .wrl file. Then in the Assets tab, right click > Build the .map file.

I’m going to try this again in another mod and see if this fixes my problem.

EDIT: This did it. I’m going to update the original post with the steps I did to get it working - for future reference.