Saving Pathing & Loading a Mod in Editor & Game

Final Edit: Panic over, I got it! Going to leave the thread in case anyone has a similar problem.

It was either my work PC being a massive bag of monkey-brains, or it was me being an absolute buffoon, as I think I was messing up where you press build. It’s clearly stated in the guide that you build it from assets, but my stupid mind must have glossed over that as I was just building it from sources.

So here’s my first mod just to make sure it worked! :smiley:

Also, it could be saving the .wrld file in the Source folder fudges things, as it seems I can only run mods I’ve created where I’ve saved the overall world file in a separate folder inside the source folder.

I’m going to work on a full map over the week and will hopefully get some traction going as I’m more an “on paper” designer, but need to work on my implementation.

Edit after getting to work: Doesn’t work here! Gosh-darn it… must be something on here making it loopy. And it crashes all the time here as opposed to my home setup. Ah well.

Hi there,

I’m getting a little miffed with even the most basic thing here… saving a map and loading it in the game. But it just won’t work for me! -_-

It sounds so simple in the guide, which is one of the sticky ones:
“Simple Map Making for Dummies”
(I must be a dummy if I can’t get this right!)

I’ve tried in two separate mods, but each time I get the following error:
WARNING: 1 region(s) failed to save!
or on the second try:
WARNING: 3 region(s) failed to save!

The problem is, I haven’t even added anything much into the maps, I just wanted to test to see if I could get a spawn point in there, and have a character spawn. I hadn’t even raised/lowered any terrain so I’d assume all of it was ok to path, or have I missed something?

On the first map I made a nice little graveyard area on one tile, plopped a spawn point in there, and then tried to “Rebuild all Pathing” which prompte the error. Rebuilding all Maps seemed to work, but not the Pathing.

On the second map I just left it blank, 3 tiles, and I made a raised ridge going through all 3 tiles (so that there was something there), and put a spawn point in it. Still the same deal.

Does it have anything to do with the red outlines around the tiles? No idea if they mean “bad!” as I’ve seen them as green before.

This is possibly a very noob question, but it’s driving me crazy. Now I’ve posted, I’ve hit 3 posts so it’ll let me put Screenshots in! :eek:

Edit: Just tried again with yet a brand new map, even tried to add more to it in case that was the problem (spawn is right in the center). Also excluded a lot of the outside area but then hit the “Pathing > First Pass” which moved it all to the plateau area.
Moved back to the Layout mode… wouldn’t let me Path it again! So I hit the rebuild map and that worked, still pathing didn’t. I’m such a donkey that I’ve probably missed one really really minor thing.

Cheers,
Chris

I’ve tried in two separate mods, but each time I get the following error:
or on the second try:
WARNING: 3 region(s) failed to save!

it is only telling you, that you still need to save your map when pathing is done, nothing has failed (yet).

Build/Rebuild All Pathing
Build/Rebuild All Maps
File/Save All

In this order, you make a change do it again.

you can rebuild selected with larger projects, since you won’t have to build everything for those that have already been built before. Like if Crate would build all each time, they would be able to bake a cake and eat it while the program is rebuilding their map.

after closing the world editor you still need to compile it with Asset Manager (Build F7), assuming you have created an asset before, if not find the map (in source view) right click on it (.wrl) and auto create asset (could be slightly different, don’t have AM open) and after that Build F7.

yes many steps to see a simple change in game, but that’s just how it is :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply! I get what you’re saying but it still doesn’t work for me. :frowning:

The full error is:
Processing Fudgemonger\Whydontyouwork.lvl…
WARNING: One or more regions could not be saved!

I did try again what you said.

• I rebuilt all pathing (which gave me the above error)
  • Rebuilt the map (which seemed just fine as usual)
  • Saved it
  • I then exited the Editor and opened the Asset Manager.
  • I tried to build the wrl file again (which errored because I’d already done it before)
  • Built the mod, waited for it to be done, then closed the Asset manager. -
  • Opened Grim Dawn, went to Single Player, Custom Game, selected my mod with a newly created character
  • Game loaded me into Burwich Village, not my single map.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here? I’ve tried to follow the guide and your comments to the letter, but I just don’t know what’s going wrong. I even uninstalled and reinstalled GD, and re-extracted the game files before doing all this just to make sure it wasn’t a corruption problem.

Edit:
Now I just read this and it says the same thing you did about the message:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51591

So now I’m REALLY not sure where I’m going wrong (or should it now be really-REALLY?). What I’ll do when I get home is make a quick video of me setting up a mod from start to finish, and hopefully someone can spot what the heck I’m doing wrong from that. It’d be funny if it was just my computer at work being a jankey piece of trash.

I am now unconfused, see top of post! Thanks Warebare, I do tend to miss one small detail! :smiley: