QoL for Wind Devil by making it a Toggle skill?

Obviously it’s not quite as good for PS builds as e.g. my suggestion would’ve been, but it’s also understandable that crate doesn’t want to add nodes like transmuters at this stage of development. The increased base duration and speed will still help a lot.

I had the same thought when I read about the distance being reduced. I feel like this is more of a nerf than a buff to casters and pet builds.

Pretty sure that is very hard/impossible to implement, since wind devils cast maelstrom.

1 Like

wow nice change. tx for listening. & Im one that does use pet attack. & the distance thing. I like them to stick close enough to help me if I get attacked but not so far that they start attacking walls etc. Thats a problem Ive seen more then once. For instance the bird is tied close as a result less likely to attack walls & will target the enemy properly. & yes I dont want to get too close as I tend to be a glass cannon. & more then once if they are not tied close they get stuck on walls rocks etc. Its a difficult balancing act on that.

I think its a buff for Crucible pilots, that they often do mobile a lot across the field, so WDs may keep up their movement. But for SR or super boss challenger, especially casters that prefer to keep distance, its a huge nerf.

Yep, what a MASSIVE nerf. Oh wait, we don’t even know how much the number is changing?! Neeevermiiind.

Look you can either a) have the WDs do a better job following you around or b) have them on a long leash doing all sorts of stupid shit halfway across the screen while an untouched Nemesis is smashing your face just so that pet builds can feel a bit better about themselves in very specific situations. Pick one cause you can’t have both.

2 Likes

until we see the AI changes it might still be very possible that an untouched Nemesis is smashing your face, you just have a wind fart closer to you while it happens :laughing:

1 Like

Now that you mention it, i want Seals to follow my feet as well.

1 Like
  1. Putting Pets on Def mode is terribly inefficient way to play pet builds.
  2. You can’t attack walls. Pets don’t even target breakable objects on their own unless instructed to do so.

Even a 0.5m less leash range for pets builds on Wind Devils is a nerf. And it is not in “very specific situations”. There are no situations where you want wind devils sticking close to you on pet builds.

You want to screw over pet builds because you don’t care about them, by going for a solution that acts as a bandaid to the problem of wonky AI.

My question is, why?
Just because you don’t care about pet builds or players who enjoy such builds, it is ok to screw them over?

Old Devils:
YoloMouse_xxR4q5mtgv
YoloMouse_bj281nF1MA
YoloMouse_Km4VgYWFID

New Devils:
YoloMouse_kyutW5eMQs
YoloMouse_EnoHS5rJ8g
YoloMouse_rNU1fi9yNk

I might have missed something because I skimmed over the files.

1 Like

Thank you for the details :blush:

Can I also ask Guardians’ and Briarthorn’s similar stats as well to compare?

1 Like

Dont be such a toxic d** I just mentioned this distance change affected 50-50, especially good for melee, and unwilling for caster/pet builds , as they have their own playstyle.

2 Likes

I do care about pet builds. In fact one of my most accomplished characters is a summoner that uses WDs. But I also recognize that pets are one of many playstyles and that you can’t please everybody. It’s better to improve WDs for the majority of playstyles than to hold them back in terms of QoL just so pet builds are a little better off.

And I do mean a little. In most cases a pet build can easily afford to stand that little bit closer to combat with no risk to itself because aggro is focused on the pets. In fact if there’s one type of build that shouldn’t have a huge issue with WDs having a slightly shorter leash range, it’s a pet build, cause they got a walking wall with a long leash range right in front of them. At worst you catch a stray projectile or AoE because of a shorter leash. It’s not gonna suddenly throw all aggro on you. And AFAIK it was you who argued that using Pet Attack to reposition WDs makes summoner performance worse. So if you’re not willing to use Pet Attack to reposition WDs closer to you or to the target that’s harassing you (which is why that button is there in the first place), how exactly would you intend to solve the issue of WDs just lagging a mile behind the combat or focusing distant stragglers instead of the imminent threat if you don’t address their leash range? Talking about wonky AI is nice and all but it’s not like the game is programmed with genius AI to begin with. May I remind you that monsters won’t path around and instead just shoot projectiles into a wall endlessly when you aggro them from the next room? AI issues aren’t exclusive to WDs, but we’re ok with them on pets and pseudopets because those react more readily to developments on the battlefield. With these changes, so will WDs. Or at least it’s a step in the right direction.

While that may be true in theory, it’s not really in practice. Ranged/caster or not, most of the time you end up with enemies up in your face anyway because crowd control is ineffective on the majority of dangerous enemies. So even ranged and caster characters end up having to face tank when it really matters. Some enemies even specifically punish you for kiting (IM, Fabius). So no, this is not a 50/50 issue where melee benefits at the expense of absolutely everything else in the game. Many casters won’t even notice. For those that do, that’s what Pet Attack is for.

So, WD leash range is less than Mog’s Pact range or something? You still gotta stay rather close to your pets in order for them to get the full benefit of player’s auras. Oh, and don’t forget Cryptstalker that has only 5 meter radius on it. Haven’t seen any builds that use that though, but you get the idea.

It is better not to screw over an entire playstyle’s use of a skill just to add a little QoL that is only beneficial in certain specific circumstances, i.e., faster Crucible runs.

It was never about Aggro. It is about not wanting to get close to the boss’s AoEs.

Melee builds for example can afford to facetank Callagadra. Go and facetank it with a pet build and come back to me.

Trolling or ignorant?

I mentioned that the way how I build, Pet attack command ends up being a net DPS loss.

And no one wants to reposition anything close to anything. That part is irrelevant to leash range. It is about being able to stay as far from the fight as possible. Pet attack command doesn’t let you keep your pets farther than their max range unless you keep spamming it, which no one wants to do.

Sorry, but my melee pets happen to path perfectly without lagging a mile behind in combat or focusing distant stragglers being a problem.

Which can be done without nerfing their leash range.

Perhaps actually try playing a pet build instead of claiming that you do.

Do show me how Pet Attack command magically transcends max leash range. If anything Pet Attack solves the problem you claim to have in 1.1.9.1

Cryptstalker is a failure. So… let us not talk about that.

Mog’s Pact aura range is irrelevant if you playing something like Familiar build or Reap Spirits.

1 Like

Perhaps actually try reading the text rather than assume I’m saying what you need to give ammo to your argument. Ranged build = guns/pistols; caster = AAR, PRM and other ranged magic. I don’t count pets into casters because they’re not even close to the same playstyle. I’d think that much would be obvious.

To be clear, I didn’t have a horse in this race to begin with. I wasn’t here complaining how WDs are godawful or Devouring Swarm is cancer and other usual suspects. But since this is an argument that kept coming up again and again and again, I chose to at least offer a solution that would be beneficial to all parties. And while my solution is not the one that was implemented I also don’t have a major problem with the one we got. So I have no major problem with WDs in 9.1 cause I don’t mind microing them if need be and the few minor observations I did have seem to have been addressed.

Perhaps try to not conveniently ignore the fact that the person you replied to said “caster/pet”?
And if that wasn’t you ignoring it, perhaps take your own advice and read, hm?

Let me rephrase it for you.

You don’t have a solution to the issue, because you don’t know what the issue even is and what your proposed solution does.

So, go back ingame and actually learn a bit about what you are talking about first.

Wow you really are something else, aren’t you? I’m done, enjoy your vitriol.

So you come in here to troll and then proceed to insult others and when someone doesn’t want to take your crap, they are the ones being rude?

ok.

Has it ever crossed your mind that people that have a different opinion than you do not automatically equal trolls? Or are you just that incapable of leaving your little mind box and shedding some of that cynicism so that you could try to see things from other people’s perspectives?

I do find it funny however, how people first ask for changes to something, and when they get them some of the first responses are in the style of “oh wow so you do know how to do your job every now and then!” or how people immediately start to cry wolf how things have been nerfed when they don’t even have any of the numbers to make a call yet. If you find me calling people out on that insulting, well too bad for you.

But I’m also not above admitting when I’m wrong. I did end up mixing holystar’s two comments together. In the first one he talked about casters only. In the second he added pets which I missed.

Keep it civil folks or the thread will be closed.