Range of my ranged characters

Thank you @The_Coyote and @Gnomish_Inquisition :slight_smile:

The framework for all builds is the same and it comes from:

1. my experience from another ARPG games (Diablo II and Titan Quest)
  2. I am kind of old(fashioned) gamer (my fingers are not quick enough)
  3. I am a left hand user of mouse (so everything important is assigned to NUM keyboard)

I am unable to use more than, I would say 4-5 skills. I am too old to learn how to use my right hand as a spider on keyboard, so…
A) I try to get as much passive skills / WPS / permament buffs / auras as possible. They are added to the char characteristics, or I turn them on and unless I die or a monster turn them off, I don’t need to worry about them
B1) First (and most important) skill is attack replacer (LMB)
B2) Second skill is alternative attack (like Oleron’s Might) or curse / debuff (like Curse of Frailty
B3) Temporary buff / Heal 1
B4) Heal 2 / Oh crap skill (MoE)

I am pretty aware that Thermite Mine / War Cry / Wind Devil / Inquisitor Seal would help me, but they are difficult for me to incorporate to my playstyle, so I would prefer to have PROCS on the gear. Nothing special needs to be done and the only thing I have to do is shoot or to be touched by monster(s).

If the situation allows it, I shoot and slowly go forward, I would say “supressive fire”.

if you have a multi button mouse you can also assign some skills there, i often have 4 skills on my mouse (basic 5 button mouse nothing fancy)
numlock should still give you the same amount of hotkeys as a righthand using keyboard hotbar, buuut, if you potentially want a bit extra wiggle room or just unload some, there is stuff like autocaster or lazy mod that can potentially help

as far as build approach goes, here’s a super simple example with your cabalist Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
keeping it the same amount of button presses, but a way that benefits the build better: Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
here the swap is pretty straight forward, just replacing 1 active with another

on the 2h tactician https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV1pbBL2 we are not taking or replacing any actives, just shuffling the passives around where they benefit a bit better Tactician, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
now you have 100% wps pool, you have extra speed and flat dmg from ranged expertise, squeezed that final point in squad tactics you were missing to hit the next speed breakpoint (and coincidentally maxed the skill)
^several other finer point adjustments/optimizations that could be made there, getting wps and ranged expertise was just the basic of it

1h trickster we’re not gonna mess around with as such (very minor stuff), but for 2h Grim Dawn Build Calculator are gonna take advantage of Shaman’s actual 2h utility, or some of it atleast Trickster, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
here’s a good example of a 1pt wonder for you, because you have so many bonus points to nightblade for 1pt in Anatomy of murder you get a free 12% cunning boost and some fat racism dmg to humans, noice

slight oversight in your dw druid Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator, Might of the Bear only works with 2h
anyways, we rip those misspent points out, and takes out couple others that are less optimal, and the just max the existing nice stuff, a 1pt here and there, and there is a couple points left for the stuff whatever one feels like putting in Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
and for 2h Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator it’s basically the same, except like before taking advantage of the 2h stuff you can benefit from Druid, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

ex on Sorc with mild point shuffling to get really good passives Sorcerer, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator, and like before easily more optimization that could be done and small point shifts to benefit more in Y place than X, 2h would naturally be similar since it’s all passives and most of the itemization is the same

for witchunter you’re not taking Soalels witchfire even tho you really need speed, 1pt in anatomy of murder again etc etc, max lethal assault, you convert dmg on second rite and it offers you vitality resist you can shuffle elsewhere Witch Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator, same for 2h ofc

spellbinder not taking IEE even tho your OA is actually making you benefit from elemental balance crit node

just examples of small tweaks that can be made for some benefit, and more/better still to be made, when not maxing every skill immediately, without it necessarily going into piano territory or even changing the active skill amount as such

even more to be had on the devotion side, but personally i also think devotion is where there is more room to be had for fun without needing to go total optimization or minmax since they are basically all passives. But even with that there is ofc stuff here and there to potentially help more or less (ex Targo with shield wall you might be overestimating the benefit of a bit, likewise obelisk)
low lifesteal for weapon attackers means usually you’re better of trying to raise your lifesteal amount in devos, rather than attempting to go "tank"devos for defence. More lifesteal means you can heal up in the fraction of a second, where “tank” devos just means you take slightly less dmg, but still take dmg you need to heal up from - which then is worse if speed is low. Decent amount to aim for is around 12-15% on the min end, depending on if compensating with other heals or heal procs ofc

3 Likes

If you like builds with limited number of buttons - you could perhaps like such a Warborn Havoc Tactician (Cadence, Word of Renewal, War Cry and Movement Skills), somehow close to your idea, but using Warborn set to have War Cry - Tactician, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

1 Like

I’ve played with classic 2-h ranged Savagery Vindicator, and its playstyle only requires to throw an Inquisitor Seal under your feet + cast Wind Devil once, and then just press right-click and aim at everything that moves on the screen. Both have pretty long duration (24 & 18 seconds) to kill everything before they expire and you dont have to move close to every enemy due to being ranged. All devotion procs get triggered by right-click only. Even if it takes more than 20 seconds to kill an enemy, just recast Wind Devil and Seal every 15 sec or so. Oh, and refreshing Word of Renewal every CD doesnt even counts because it’s an instant cast without interrupting your actions. You can even bind it to mouse wheel roll.
Hell, if that’s NOT simple enough, then what is? A passive build that kills everything while being AFK? I made one too - Vindictive Flame Saboteur. Its damage comes from passive Vindictive Flame procs, and all its skills are support ones. You can probably tweak it a bit so it wont need to push any buttons at all… The best build for a lazy man.

1 Like