[REL] Grim UI

All of the Smuggler mods have been updated to utilize the same database records making the graphics interchangeable. They are now truly standalone as well. They contain all of their own graphics and no longer require any other resources.

Hopefully this will be useful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Grrr, looks like the load order is mod, settings dir, vanila GD, i.e. the file in the mod wins out over the one in the settings dir. So simply reskinning the XSmuggler via the settings dir turns out to not work.

As soon as I rename the modā€™s ui.arc, it shows the full Malmouth skin (because it no longer finds the files included in the mod, so now uses settings).

Of course that is not a solution, nor is not including the files in the ui.arc and requiring every user to put them into settingsā€¦ Would be nice if Crate could make an exception in priority for settings\UI and have that take priority over the mod. To me this seems to be the only way for this to work seamlessly.

Oh yeah, thatā€™s frustrating indeed. Wish I had a solution, man.

The Forgotten Crucible HUD image is uploaded, for those interested.

Forgotten%20SurvivalPanel_Background

Iā€™ve updated all of the X-Smuggler mods with the following changes:

• Added the clear search button to the ui.arc file, which now I can make the claim that they are truly standalone.

• Changed the graphics directory from ā€œcaravanā€ to ā€œx-smugglerā€. I did this with the intention of not overwriting any files in your settings directory, should you use this method.

I am not sure what this accomplishes. The buttons are 99% identical anyway (except for the caravan/buttonwindow* files, which only exist in X-Smuggler, so there is no overlap to worry about) and the background image, which also had a name that does not exist in the ā€˜regularā€™ caravan.

So to me there was no overlap between the regular caravan and XSmuggler that would have required this and all it did is duplicate all the buttons that both have in common.

The only case where this would possibly matter is if you wanted e.g. the Forgotten skin for your regular GD (incl the regular Smuggler) but the Malmouth skin for the XSmuggler for whatever reason (which sounds highly unlikely for anyone to actually want). Am I missing something ?

Changing the directory name accomplishes exactly what I said in my post. It prevents any overwriting of files in the event that someone uses the settings directory.

A few files with the same names exist along with some new ones that are particular to X-Smuggler:

• caravan_nameplate.tex
  • caravan_transfernameplate.tex
  • caravan_windowbackgroundimage.tex
  • 6 new button_*.tex files.

I wanted to avoid overwriting these in the event the user wanted to uninstall the mod. Yes, I could have changed the file names, but I opted to change the directory instead. This makes more sense to me in that one doesnā€™t havenā€™t worry about what files got added or overwritten during install. Now they can just delete the x-smuggler folder and move on.

I agree. I canā€™t think of a reason why someone would do this either, but, you never know. This had nothing to do with my decision though.

In short, I wanted to stay out of the caravan directory altogether and make the mod completely self-contained.

Iā€™ve updated all of the X-Character mods.

• They now use the same database records making the graphics interchangeable.

• Added some new files.

• Changed the graphics directory from ā€œcharacterā€ to ā€œx-characterā€. I did this with the intention of not adding or overwriting any files in your character directory, should you use this method.

• The Vanilla X-Character underwent some minor changes to accommodate the database records.

The Hoarder mod has not been updated yet, but should be tomorrow.

1 Like

Grim UI Hoarder has been updated. I also included the files for the Vanilla UI, so itā€™s an ā€œall-in-oneā€ mod now.

And yes, I have plans to combine the Grim UI X-Character with Vanilla X-Character mods and Grim UI X-Smuggler and Vanilla X-Smuggler mods, making them ā€œall-in-oneā€ as well. This will do away with the vanilla mods altogether. I know this will screw up files that are specific to those mods, but thatā€™s why Iā€™m giving you the ā€œheads-upā€ now.

I do apologize for being a pain in the ass with this, but Iā€™m trying to consolidate some things as this project has grown beyond my expectations. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Update:

• Vanilla mods have been merged and are no longer available for download as of today.
1 Like

Iā€™ve added a download that changes the codex window selected text color that can be included in your mod, if you have one. It contains database records only. There are no .tex files to copy with this add on.

The color matches all of the Grim UI themes and is a higher contrast which makes finding the selected item easier, at least for me anyways. I thought someone might find it useful.

Codex Window comparison

Iā€™m not sure if I missed a post somewhere or not, but it appears that Crate released an updated caravanwindow.tpl file that coincide with the 1141 patch changes at some point. :+1:

I removed the download for that file I had updated from the OP, for obvious reasons.

I must be really really really thick. I canā€™t get the expanded character or hoarder mods to work for me.

My game folder is C:\GOG\Grim Dawn
Ignoring the savegame folder which is in My Documents, donā€™t want to add any files there.

I have tried extracting the zip into mods, so I would have:
C:\GOG\Grim Dawn\mods\Grim_UI_X-Character

I have also tried extracting it to Settings\UI folder, so I would have:
C:\GOG\Grim Dawn\Settings\UI\Grim_UI_X-Character

Neither of these works, I always see the ā€œbasicā€ character window. If I extract the UI folder into C:\GOG\Grim Dawn\Settings\ then this character window will be skinned appropriately, but I cannot get the expanded window.

Can somebody help this blockhead here please?

This is precisely where it needs to be. These are mods and you must play a custom game for them to work properly.

2 Likes

How do you use this mod with Main Campaign and Grimrillion?

I put all the files in my main directory for vanilla in the settings folder and nothing changes.

As a mod can I only use it by itself as a mod?

The UI themes are just placed in the ā€œsettingsā€ directory and will run with the campaign just fine.

If you use them with another mod, such as Grimarillion that may contain some UI elements with the same file names as mine, that modsā€™ files get used first. In that case, you will have some clashing of the graphics.

Is this what you mean? Because it doesnā€™t load up main campaign with it.

Nope. This only works with the UI themes. The character and smuggler mods get put in the mods folder (same folder you have Grimarillion in) and require you to run a custom game. You can only run one of those at a time. The only way to run say Grimarillion and Hoarder are to merge them.

So if it goes in the mods folder i donā€™t understand why your instructions are to unzip into settings folder, in the main directory Iā€™m not understanding why.

Kind of new to all this. Amazing mod any chance you are going to add any other mods to your mod? That would be sick.

Thanks.

These are the instructions for the UI themes:

The mods, which are located under a ā€œModsā€ header, contain their own instructions, located just under the download link for each mod. The following quote is found directly under the ā€œDownload Grim UI Hoarder.zipā€ link:

This clearly tells you how install this mod.

Itā€™s all good though. This can all be overwhelming for a short time when youā€™re new, but youā€™ll get the hang of it.

I appreciate your kind words.

Are you referring to me adding support for other mods such as Grimarillion? If so, the answer is no. I donā€™t like messing around in someone elseā€™s backyard, so to speak.

Understandable! Thanks for the quick replies! Guess Iā€™ll play both :stuck_out_tongue: