[shield melee] Beginner's pre-Krieg Death Knight

Oh, hooray. Ty :smiley:

Update #1
The Grimtools link in the guide was updated to FG. Changelog below.

Devotions:

• Assasin’s Mark is now bound to Ravenous Earth;
  • Removed Oleron constellation;
  • Added Bull, proc bound to Cadence;
  • Added Vire, proc bound to any aura;
  • Removed Anvil constellation;
  • Added Ulzaad, proc bound to Blitz;
  • Changed binding of Wayward Soul to Menhir’s Will, was random aura before;
  • Some other minor tweaks.

Skills:

• Got rid of Zolhan’s Technique;
  • Got rid of Markovian’s Disadvantage;
  • Reduced Necromancer mastery bar to 32;
  • Increased investment into Mehnhir’s Will to 12;
  • Other minor stuff.

Gear:

• Replaced Emp. Beronath amulet with Bloodsurge, blueprint sold by Cult of Solael;
  • Replaced random crafted gloves with Turin’s Grip;
  • Consecrated Wrappings instead of Restless Remains into gloves;
  • Seal of Annihilation instead of Arcane Spark into the amulet;
  • Arcane Spark instead of Tainted Heart into the medal;
  • Adjusted armor augments to cover resistance gaps made by gear switch;
  • Leap or Seismic Leap for mobility.

Next is updating the guide text in accordance to these changes.

1 Like

How about using Totally Normal Shield instead of the Wendigo Cleaver?

+1 Solider skills, decent damage and attack speed. You can still get 22/12 Deadly Momentum, etc.

That goofy shield is kind of a secret item, so when available I’d use a cheaper alternative. For that very reason neither my blademaster nor dervish use Fettan Mask. If every of my beginner builds used it it’d be boring.

I’ll consider mentioning it as an alternative.

Boring for you - yes I can relate to that for sure that it reduces the “challenge” in making a budget build. But for a poor player, those items are a god sent.

From a fundamental point of view - I see no difference in the “secrecy” of Totally normal shield & Fettan mask compared to other items and areas in Grim Dawn. Without guides like this one plus grimtools, how would a player know for instance that the Krieg set only drops from Terrnox, Valaxteria and Fleshwarped Krieg?

Nice work with the updates!

Hah, I guess you got me there.

EDIT: Wrong thread. Sorry. xD

Update #2
The text of the guide is updated in accordance with the new Grimtools link, actualized some other information as well.

Next is I’m going to experiment with Theodin and Soulsplitter, since, while Krieg is not a problem, most people struggle to get Mindwarp.

What is the advantage of Ravenous Earth?
Do I need to cast it in combat?

Currently consider it to be the convenient thing to apply Assasin’s blade with.

Do I need to use Ravenos Earth in combat?

Yeah you need to use it to proc the skill from devo so just put 1 RE and attack with other skills but i will just keep 1 RE up all times when i fight to keep the RR on mobs/boss.

Yes. Why would I include it in the build otherwise?

This is my first character and I’m trying to spend my 55 devotion points to get my constellations like yours in the grimtools link but even when following the path outlined in your post I run into dead ends where I don’t have enough points to get the next suggested constellation.

I’ve been playing with the grimtools utility and trying to find the way but I apparently am crap at this. OP you’ve already provided so much info and I appreciate that, but if you know how, could you update with the steps just to get the final cadence build’s constellations? I have one devotion point reset potion left, it would be appreciated.

I don’t know your specific case,but devotions can sustain themselfs.Please check if you have unnecessary points left at crossroads.

Btw there is blue potion,than can reset all your points at once,if you make a mistake.

Hello.

First of all, I’ve updated my build a few days ago, so if you had been following the version before the update it’s obvious you’d have some problems.

Second, I checked my suggested devotion path in the guide and found out that there was a mistake. It should be correct now. Sorry about that.

Third, don’t use devotion reset potions for something so trivial, they are best used when you switch character’s build to one with different damage type. If you’ve got problems with respec then post a screenshot of your devotions or upload the character to www.grimtools.com/calc/ and generate the link by pressing a button on the left sidebar. I’ll tell you how to fix them.

Is 65 still the ideal level to switch to Cadence?

Nah, the guide assumes now you’d switch at 90. Just checked - I didn’t made it clear. Oops, will be fixed.

Overall check out my answer on this from about a week ago:

My current opinion on the switch is either as soon as level 30 or way past 90.

Thing is, switching from Forcewave to Cadence was a shock for many who followed this guide, because it’s going to be a drop in both DPS and AoE. So either take that hit early and adapt, or take that hit later when items I intended players to use will become available. Ignore my suggestion to switch by 65 in the guide.

I’m all set now, thanks!

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you don’t get a faction choice in regards to Kymon vs Order. If you’re a necro, you’re order by default.

Other then that, I can’t fault your guild. It will probably get the job done quite well, but I’m always surprised when people don’t recommend skelletons to level. They are a great tool to level independent of gear.