[shield melee] Beginner's pre-Krieg Death Knight

1. You actually can, just need to get necro after joining Kymon’s Chosen.
  2. Can’t argue about that since I’m not into pets.

I remember doing that DK and start as Forcewave Soldier and select Kymon.

Some people don’t believe me,when I said later after you select Necro,that Kymon will still accept you at later difficulties.Some of the dialogue is funny:D.

I wonder why people don’t recommend RE for leveling,well it’s boring leveling the same way.I am spoiled by RE skill and Forcewave is very good for the job and also Necro physical RR is fairly early in the mastery bar.

Hi SD, I am a new player and this is my first charactor. My DK is lv80 and changed to cadence build just when you modified this guide. Could you explain a little bit regarding the difference between old devotion and new one? As I tried both devotions on my lv80 build and it seems the old one works better on my charactor :eek:.

The difference is I excluded Oleron, which I currently consider a rather meh constellation for phys damage builds. It’s not just my opinion alone, you can check out this thread if you’re interested.

Another point about Oleron is you want it to proc often, but it’s an on-crit constellation, which puts an unnecessary emphasis on high OA, which may come at some unreasonable trade offs since I’m getting Menhir’s Bulwark instead of Oleron’s Rage.

So my choices for Oleron replacement were basically Bull, Dire Bear and to lesser extent Falcon. I’ve chosen Bull, but Dire Bear could work too.

Then, since I ditched Oleron I need another T3 constellation, and Vire just looks the most reasonable. Vire’s proc doesn’t need an active skill, so it’s convenient too.

Due to all of that, my damage fell a bit, since while Oleron got a meh proc it is still a physical T3 constellation loaded with %physical and flat phys damage, so I had to compensate with gear a bit. I also shifted my attribute points more into cunning.

TL;DR previous setup was more offensive so you needed to find defenses elsewhere, this one is more defensive, so you need to do the opposite.

Also, some of that feel that previous setup was better is because you haven’t levelled your new devotion procs yet.

By the end of the day my setup ended up with more dps, but it’s because of the better amulet and the gloves.

That said, if you like the old setup then it’s okay? I think I still have a copy of the old one if you’re interested and could provide you with it tomorrow.

It makes sense. Thanks for explaining the detail. I will stay with the new build for now. It is getting better after I leveled up the new devotion procs.

Hey, can you explain the hard point in Ravenous Earth please?

Ravenous Earth hits fast and with many projectiles. Since Assassin mark has chance to proc only on crit, it is a good idea to bind it to your most frequent attacking skill.

malawiglenn’s answer is correct.

Update #3

Experiment with Soulsplitter have concluded positively - it’s quite good. I’ve added my Soulsplitter build to the Prospects section, so if you got Krieg but can’t get Mindwarp to drop try this one.

Also added veretragna’s Warpblade. No idea why I missed it before.

I’ve started to experiment with alternative DK levelling, but so far results are not encouraging.

Next update I’ll record some videos just so that people knew beforehand what kind of a build it is.

Hi,

I’m on my first character right now and I’ve been loving the guide so far. I made the switch from Forcewave to Cadence relatively early but I’m having trouble trying to set a path for the devotions. I removed Falcon as soon as I made the switch but now I don’t know where to go after Eel. Should I still follow the devotion level up guide via the Forcewave path or is there an alternative? Essentially, is there a way for me to level up my devotions to the endgame version while ignoring the unnecessary Forcewave ones?

Here’s where my build is at the moment: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/dVbl0MON

It’s good that you got Bull asap!

Do the following:

1. Remove Crossroads (blue)
  2. Remove Eel
  3. Panther
  4. Empty Throne
  5. Ulzaad
  6. Crab
  7. Remove Empty Throne
  8. Chariot
  9. Remove Hawk
  10. Assasin’s Blade
  11. Remove Crossroads (purple)
  12. Shieldmaiden
  13. Eel
  14. Lizard
  15. Vire
  16. 2pt in Obelisk

Why:

1. You need Ulzaad ASAP
  2. From there Crab is a good pick, allowing you to revoke points from temporary Empty Throne
  3. Same for Chariot, allowing you to revoke points from temporary Hawk
    The rest is trivial.

EDIT: not using components by level 40 is a mistake.

Awesome, this is exactly what I needed! Trying to work through the devotion constellations was definitely overwhelming for a newbie like me but this helps so much.

And yeah, I’ve been meaning to just bunker down and look through the components I’ve stashed but I kept getting distracted by new equipment to fully commit haha.

Thank you for the assistance and the guide as a whole! It’s helped so much with easing into a game like Grim Dawn.

Thank you both :slight_smile:

Also… I’m leveling FW and I’ve just unlocked Crab. What should I link Crab to? (Arcane Barrier)

Bind it to passive buff,that is always up like Spectral binding or Field command.

Oh ok, thanks :slight_smile: Also I’m level 70 now and as I said playing FW till lvl90, should I just start investing point in Cunning?

Cunning boost your physical damage,but depends on your OA and DA.Remember you need more OA for physical or pierce builds,cause assassins mark proc of crit and not hit!

Playing FW:

My OA is 1817 - 100% to hit, 16,2%crit
My DA is 1781 - 81,2% to be hit, 0% chance to be crit
DPS 28k
Armor 1168

Chance to hit, crit, be hit, be crit - depends on what monster you are up against.

Stupid Dragon,thanks for putting links to my builds!

That reminds that,when I have access to PC,I have to correct them in my posts.

Stupid Dragon,

Just wanted to send a quick thanks for this thread. I’m going with a different build, but you had a lot of information a new player like myself needed. The build that I’m going does what most other build threads here do, and assumes the player possess a great amount of knowledge and a stash full of gear. I’m still winging a lot, but still did benefit greatly from this thread.

If you’re curious - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0BPyoN I do think it’s time to switch to Cadence, maybe?