Single Class

Again, I must voice my opinion that a Single Class builds should be enabled somehow. Yes, yes, you can play them even now, but the extra points in skills doesn’t really compare well to 50 extra points in mastery down there.

Are there any methods or resources or guides to how to achieve this?

Pick Soldier.

Can always just mod it in yourself if you want it so badly. Just change the max level for the mastery bar to 100 and add an extra 50 levels of bonus stats, should be about the same.

If you’re interested, I just created the mod and uploaded it to nexus mods since I have seen this requested quite often. It’s a very simple mod, adds nothing except increases the cap of masteries to 100 from 50. This helps for ‘specializing’ in a certain mastery.

http://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/38/?
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=500212#post500212

It’s my opinion that wanting single class to be viable is like demanding that Skyrim be playable without shouts, or Legend of Zelda be playable without the bow. You want to be able to play the game while patently ignoring a very integral part of it.

If you think the extra 50 skill points is not worth playing a single mastery, then why exactly would you want to play a single-mastery class? People have already proven many times that you can make pretty much anything work (and work well) as long as you have a solid skill synergy to use as the basis for your build, and single mastery-classes are no exception.

For obvious reasons single mastery-classes need to try harder to reach acceptable stat thresholds, but the game already gives you so many other sources of stats besides just gear and masteries - not to mention gear alone can easily make up for the stat loss of having one less mastery bar. Not sure why you’d think otherwise if you’ve actually seen end-game gear.
In the end, it’s all worth it if the synergy your build is built on is strong enough.

I think it’s stupid to make a single-mastery build just to sink your extra 50 skill points in the mastery bar. Essentially what’s happening there is that you’re devoting 50 extra points to stats with zero of the gains from actually having a second mastery - and unfortunately for you, the devs like to distribute the game’s strongest skills between different masteries. Because balance.

Single-mastery builds make up for the stat loss with stronger core skills and better synergy, because the thing about each individual mastery is that many of its skills share a common theme. The trick is to find a setup that works, a combination of skills that makes picking a second mastery unnecessary.

While these builds actually got an indirect buff when the devs decided to incorporate stat gains into mastery skills - many mastery skills now also offer extra (secondary) stats, resistances and other survivability boosts - thanks to the current itemization trends, dual-mastery builds will always have the upper hand in terms of pure offense or defense.
In exchange single-mastery builds are potentially more versatile (solo Occultist has a ton of innate resistances, which makes it a lot easier to meet resistance thresholds) or just better at doing a particular thing (the Demolitionist build in the forums specializes in lob effect skills aka targeted AoE spammage).

A single mastery build with just extra stats instead of skills… that’s just dualclass lite.

and again I must voice mine that this is the most pointless request of all the ones made on the forum.

Pick a second mastery, invest in the bar only, done.

The reason why most of the players want viable single classes, is mostly the insuffient skill points for some builds, or the sheer desire to over invest in skills.

The incoming level cap increase is gonna help with it. Meanwhile anyone can modify his chars the way he wants.

If the point of some players is to literally pick every skill point without downsides, they’d better know that game’s unlikely to support this treatment, at least officially.

I’m sure soldier, shaman and occultist are fine as single class. I would argue that demolitionist is fine as well but I don’t know much about that class yet.

If fine means that you can kinda sorta survive in Ultimate, then yeah sure. I recently leveled a Demolitionist up to level 65(ish) without picking a second class, just to see if I could do it. Beyond 65 it is just a pain in the ass.

Basically, if you want to play Ultimate as a single class, you´re screwing yourself. You will be either missing health, constantly struggling with spirit regain, not being able to wear all the cool shit you have, or all of the above.

On the other hand, you will be special.

:cool:

False, of course.

Coming from someone who somehow failed to make a character (a single mastery class character, specifically) work in elite, that’s a load of BS.

It must make you feel special to bash other people’s builds just because you failed so spectacularly at it.

Uhm, this game is made with dual-class build mentality, fine is as good as you can get for single class build. It’s like going into McDonald and demand a vegan meal, they can slap something together for you, and it works, but it’s not the best by any mean

Still false. “Fine is as good as you can get?”
Have you actually bothered to take a very close look at end-game gear, lately?

It takes a bad build to not do “fine” in ultimate these days. There’s a reason why people are now looking to gladiator crucible for end game, FYI.

Technically any class could be played as a single class. But the question is, would this build be viable at all, and if it eventually is - the extent of its viability and if it’s worth the sweat.
As having a char who barely finishes elite in pain, and can potentialy get 1-2 shot in ultimate, is hard to be considered viable and worth the trouble.
You say soldier and shaman, because of the HP nodes? Not enough.

The major issue with single classes is that you dramatically lack basic stats, and the poor HP/DA/OA increase is insufficient for the higher difficulties, also leveling is nightmare.
You got to be very picky with gear. To plan the gear you’d wear in advance, at any single point of the game, and rely on twinking - you can’t progress naturally, nor just slap and go. You will need specific gear with certain stats to enable the rest of the setup. The stat points have to be distributed even more carefully, and they are always insufficient, throughout the whole leveling proces.
When you hear someone to claim for single class support - the desire is exactly this, a mechanic/ability to somehow compensate for the lacking stats.

The game is not designed to be balanced around single classes, and every single patch brings content and equipment out of the reach of such builds. They could be mediocre at best, or serve as a personal challenge.
Basically, playing a single class is gimping yourself on purpose, and is just painfull with nothing worthy in return.

False. And laughably so.

Stats are cheap.

HAH! As I’ve said single mastery classes are likely not going to win an offensive or defensive contest against dual mastery builds, but they have their own advantages. Leveling is one of them.
You clearly have no experience leveling a character by riding the momentum you get from overleveled skills.

Also false. While you definitely shouldn’t try to juggle both heavy armors and caster gear, everything else is just a matter of knowing your options.
Not much different from playing any other build, although knowledge about item affixes helps.

How would you know?

And your basis is what? Theory built on clearly wrong assumptions? A few hours of playing a single mastery build in the current (MUCH more character-friendly) meta and going “Boohoo, this particular build isn’t working for me so all of them must suck?”

Yeah right.

Well, since single class cannot perform better than dual-class, it cannot be classified as “good” or “great”, can it? So yeah, “fine” is as good as it can get

Well, since single class cannot perform better than dual-class, it cannot be classified as “good” or “great”, can it? So yeah, “fine” is as good as it can get

Stupid, shallow logic.

There are a lot of factors to consider when determining whether a build is “good” or “great”, and it so happens that not every build can meet all of that criteria.

Because, you know, that’s a side effect of build diversity.

Add to that the fact that different people value different things, and your two-way “fine”, “good” and “great” measuring system falls apart.

It’s like your MCDonalds example. As nice a regular meal is, a vegan dish would definitely be the “great” option for someone with a heart condition. Or just someone who wants to start eating healthier, because as much as we love them we all know processed/fast foods have lots of carcinogens.

Nuff bullshit. Of course in this genre there are general criterias defining what’s good/bad/viable and whatnot.

You may have different personal definitions of good and bad, but it doesn’t mean that the single class is a good and viable option in general, or it’s easy to make, or it’s supported. As it’s not.

Got it?

Personal, eh?

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33046

I definitely don’t consider myself an expert on every single mastery build, but I’ve been poking and prodding the limits of game mechanics for a while now. A very long while, if you check the post date. I do consider myself well-versed in knowing the various options the game gives you to improve your character, options that a lot of people tend to take for granted.

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. You obviously base your assumptions on unproven and untested theory.
You obviously don’t even read since I’ve already laid out how my argument in an objective manner in previous posts, and you obviously don’t even know enough about the current meta to recognize how blatantly powerful overleveled skills are pre-ultimate.

Feel free to argue with me over something I’ve already definitely proven in a previous, MUCH harsher meta, complete with self-imposed handicaps and restrictions. Feel free to argue with me over something you clearly have very limited knowledge about.

Trust me, given your flimsy, mostly speculative argument and the fact that we’re talking about something that’s VERY familiar territory for me, I WILL destroy you.

I understand that this topic is dedicated to trolling, so here is my turn:

I play a game into multiclassing only to complain that it is into multiclassing.

I complain about options, because I consider them obligations.

The build in the link makes a single SoT run in good fucking 40 minutes. Based on one of the fastest clear speed archetypes in game… “Great survivability and DPS”…

If you don’t realize this build is shit and serves the only purpose to challenge your own self and rub your own ego, but can’t be used as a proof of how single class is super viable and easy to build around, then any further talks are pointless.

Now make a toe-to-toe single class melee build able to do the warden on ultimate, and the internet will explode. Gosh…