Something happened to Rune of Displacement when I set up Asset Manager

Not even sure where to post this but…

I’m trying to learn to mod a little bit. I set up Asset Manager following the guide, extracted all the game files, and found Bonescavenger’s Deathgrips (Necromancer’s Deathgrips in the files) and changed the skill trigger to 20% on attack by changing the path that it calls on to… trigger the Raise Spirit skill. This worked great, I made a separate build of GDX1.arz and tested it out, and it was a success. Yay!

Then, I hit my Rune of Displacement movement skill key, and… My character froze in place. What? I only changed that one parameter of that one item, I thought.

Luckily, I kept a backup of the original GDX1.arz unchanged and untouched, and swapped back to that one. Bonescavenger’s Deathgrips reflected the change confirming I was on the original GDX1.arz, showing they trigger on kill instead of on attack. Cool.

Hit my Rune of Displacement key again and… My character just froze in place again. WHAT?! Double checked that I was using the original GDX1.arz, and not my modded one. Yup.

If I unequip my amulet, my character can move again, if I requip it, I can still move. Hit Rune of Displacement again? Character freezes in place.

I really don’t understand how this is possible or what is going on. It worked perfectly fine before I set up Asset Manager, and I didn’t change ANY other game files or anything other than the GDX1.arz database edit for the gloves.

Does anyone have any ideas what happened or why this is occurring? It makes no sense to me.

Do you have everything set up precisely as in this post?
For example different entries for Additional Browse and Additional Source Directories.
It’s easy to make mistake here.

Yup, got all that set up right.

Also, I neglected to try the good old “Did you try turning it off and on again?” fix before I posted this… just tried restarting my PC and everything works fine now. Both the original GDX1 and my modded one are using Rune of Displacement fine.

Really really weird. Thanks for the reply, I gotta stop making posts/threads before I try everything lmao.

Just a heads up that, in addition to having a backup, you can also easily revert any such changes you make by using the Verify functionality - present in both Steam and GOG Galaxy - both of which should detect any file changes and will then commence to download and restore the originals.

Being able to swap a backup is, naturally, going to be the faster method but if worse comes to worse it is still easily fixable via your game client.

I would note that I haven’t actually tested if such a minuscule change would trigger the Verify functionality like that but you can always test it out and see for yourself.

If it’s also checking file modification time (or some other time that would be the most appropriate) not only file contents… I hope it does.