SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

I know it’s been done once(atleast) before, but I noticed many have either not discovered all notes (no, i haven’t either) or have yet to finish the game on ultimate (pain in the a**, but fun)

A Pledge to Cairn is for now the name of the final quest of both the factions. There is no means to activate the quest or access the quest details since they don’t exist for now. Any ideas what they might be?

Firstly, Uroboruuk, he decided to investigate a strange energy emanated by an Ancient Evil (Forgotten God/ Korvaak/ Empyrion), the energy has riled up even Cthonians (Read his Journal pages, it indicates the Cthonian spawns were out investigating that as well). The source of this seems to situated east of Burwitch (which is where Kymon unearthed the Forgotten God)
I have one question, is Korvaak mentioned anywhere except by The Chosen?

Speaking of Uroboruuk, I can’t really say that we would get to meet him since his son is out there trying to kill him (Read Dravis’ Letters)

And not to Outcast’s Revenge as well, that Faction quest too is not accessible. And hopefully will provide us more insight into the Aetherials (Karroz’s note suggests they might be past agents of Gods and were abandoned once they served their purpose). I have never killed her though, can someone post an SC of her Wrath of Aether boss form?

I also think that Uroboruuk and Solael are the same, since both their lores (Solael’s constellation and Dravis’ Letters) indicate they sacrificed lives to attain immortality. Thoughts?

Plus, there’s the obvious Ulgrim cliffhanger (I hope they don’t bring him back Diablo 2 style with Chthon in his body). Or do you guys think Ulgrim will be a badass version of Deckard Cain (Don’t include Diablo 3’s butterflies please)?

Attachment: secretsigil.jpg
Attachment: chtonicsigil.jpg
Attachment: kymons messenger.jpg
Attachment: flooded cellar.jpg
Attachment: korvaak (5).jpg
Attachment: korvaak (4).jpg
Attachment: gdsf.png
Attachment: cannon_before_01.jpg
Attachment: cannon_after_01.jpg
Attachment: cannon_before_02.jpg
Attachment: cannon_after_02.jpg
Attachment: lore.jpg
Attachment: 20171220231608_1.jpg
Attachment: 20171220232429_1.jpg
Attachment: korvaakssssss.jpg
Attachment: Shrine_Solael01.jpg
Attachment: conspiracykeanu.jpg
Attachment: solael.jpg
Attachment: dreeg.jpg
Attachment: bysmiel.jpg
Attachment: korvaak.jpg
Attachment: 3.jpg
Attachment: deception.png
Attachment: primordial.png
Attachment: ashes.png
Attachment: messenger.jpg
Attachment: aetherial.jpg
Attachment: Ekran Alıntısı.JPG
Attachment: 20190328181818_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190328224132_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190328224728_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190401232401_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190401232354_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190401234054_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190402024132_1.jpg
Attachment: GD universe map.jpg
Attachment: page01.jpg
Attachment: page02.jpg
Attachment: 20190406195802_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190406184750_1.jpg
Attachment: 20190406200841_1.jpg
Attachment: CIRCLE.jpg
Attachment: 20190505134238_1.jpg

4 Likes

You can find Uroboruuk sometimes near burrwitch as the note tell us, and its a part of the last mission from Order’s of Death…

About Korvaak he was like an “attendant” of Empyrion and you can fight him in his Tomb at west of Fort Ikon if you’re Order’s Of Death friendly.

Im trying to find out who was the three gods!

I think that Mogdrogen is one, Empyrion (the forgotten god) the second, and maybe the third will be the Outcast’s god that i not mentioned in lores!

About Ulgrim, you just need to fight the last boss to know what happens to him, to be continued…

How to you know about the pledge to Cairn?

We can find him near Burwitch. Where?
I only fought his guardian as part of the quest, didn’t find him.

Wait we can fight Korvaak?
Cause i cleared his tomb and only found markings (which i think are similar to the one in Shrine of Forgotten God)

The Three, as they’re commonly referred to are the three witch Gods - Dreeg, Solael and Bysmiel (They’re mentioned in the Occultist’s masteries) Mogdrogen is some kind of titan created during the war of Gods (read his constellation).

Empyrion (Don’t really know about this guy, the details are sketchy).

What do you mean the Outcast’s God?

I know, my question isn’t what happened to Ulgrim. I was just saying i hope he returns as it is, cause he’s one of the better characters. I don’t want Crate to make him the Diablo 2 Dark Wanderer (The D1 hero who became a vessel for Diablo). Creed and Ulgrim are my favorite characters

I know about it through the wikia (Don’t bother trying to search for it, since there’s no info regarding it except for the name)

Also,
Can someone explain to me the Necropolis lore (Found in Commission of Necropolis notes)?

Actually that’s not the place where he unearthed/summoned “The forgotten god”

From the one of the Misadventures

One of his inquests led him to a remote village, built atop the ruins of an ancient city, which villagers claimed was the resting place of a forgotten god. The faded visage of the god, etched into the wall of a chamber below the city was similar to ancient stones he had seen in other parts of the empire.

In “Scribe Osteram’s Notes” you can see something mentions about the forgotten god. You can find that note at the Shrine of the forgotten god.

Yeah Dravis could be one of Uroboruuk children.

Grim Dawn`s lore is sketchy on the surface but if you pay attention, look around, read all the notes and exhaust all character dialog options you see that is totally the opposite.

The world is huge and its mythology seems quite deep and, for me at least, fascinating (fan of Chtulu theme and apocalypse in general).

Obvious loose ends which need to be closed in the hopefully at least 2 expansions:

Korvaak = Forgotten God (perhaps he was the one abandoning the what were Etherials eons ago?) - prime candidate for the Big Bad in the end.

Uroboruuk - Dravis is his son - all this connects with the Forgotten God (big clash between Kymon`s and Order perhaps?).

> Anasteria - we will find perhaps the true reason of why the Etherials want to enslave Cairn (i would assume at one point they are not the main enemy but the Forgotten God).

> Chton - even though we killed his kind of Avatar in the end, he is still out there. Some call him the betrayed and cut to million pieces god - why did this happen, perhaps the Forgotten god was behind this as well?

> Ulrgrim - my favourite NPC as well, high chance to become a boss (possessed by Chton…) here is hoping we can save him

My prediction based on all the lore i found is that the Forgotten God will appear to pull strings from all angles. Perhaps Chton is his pawn or his victim as well as Aetherials. Might end that all parties combine forces in the end to defeat him or he will bring end to all existence bla bla.

What is certain is that there is enough material to iron out a lot more stories in Cairn.

1 Like

If you look at the Community Localizations files and than read the conversation between you and anasteria. It is pretty clear on what the aetherials want. However I never seem to get that dialog or maybe only with a new char?

It seems that the gods need some followers and shrines to be able to have their avatar on the world of cairn. Seems a bit strange perhaps tips is some what needed after the war of the gods.

I got the impression that Korvaak is just another name for Chton from the conversation you have with that messenger after you do all the Chosen quests. Might be me though.

Well I didn’t know that. Thanks, but does this mean the Forgotten God and Korvaak are two distinct beings. Since, iirc some Chosen or maybe Kymon himself do mention Korvaak

Yeah i found that one already.

Well, he could be related to Chthon since we find the Bloodsworn in his tomb. But if the Forgotten God and Korvaak are the same entity then it is possible that Korvaak is either older than Chthon who has now been forgotten(probably not, since Chthon is the forefather of all Gods but still a possibility) or the being who banished Chthon to the void after taking his blood.

Empyrion did the banishing, so no on that point.

On the Korvaak/Chton point, both their circumstances (banished or forgotten) and their motivation (want to go back to/take over the world) are pretty much the same. To me it doesn’t seem so much of a stretch that the same banished god is working on more than one plan to take over the world at the same time. If the chtonians fail (we kill log so they failed for now) there’s always those religious fanatics to try something else.

I thought he found the “leakage” of Aetherial magic, this place is pretty close to Warden Cellar after all. And he couldn’t check it directly for obvious reasons.

Speaking of Uroboruuk, why does Mogdrogen imply he doesn’t exist? That wrecks the lore behind SoT and the foundation of Order of Death’s Vigil.

Glad that someone else has gone through most of the lore as well(maybe you have gone through all of it but i’m missing some notes). Yeah, i wouldn’t want Ulgrim to become a boss fight, or atleast allow us to save him.
Btw, any idea how the dude was able to go toe to toe with Logharreon?

Agree, Korvaak could be the string puller. Wouldn’t be surprised if Empyrion is some made up deity. Made by Korvaak to lure gullible minds like Kymon.

Dravis is probably dead now that i think about it, it’s probably his spirit that was with us during the Edge of Reality quest line. Plus he didn’t have as many souls as his father inside him to be able to beat him.

Thoughts on Solael and Uroboruuk being the same entity? (Their lores suggest they sacrificed lives to obtain immortality)

Community localization files?

edit: Never mind, found them. But mine are in Russian (got the game from my friend). Can you pass me the files or better yet can you pass me the anasteria conversation files?

Interesting point of view. But, if they’re the same entity then why does Uroboruuk’s notes mention Cthonian spawns heading east to investigate the strange energy?

I have not read all of the posts in this thread because I am trying to avoid spoilers - I have finished the game once on Veteran but have a long way to go on my various reputation quests, etc.

That said, I have really enjoyed the lore of this game. It’s very LoTR meets HP Lovecraft. The names of the gods, various underground areas/tombs all give you the sense that there was all this history that has occurred in this world before you (the player) showed up.

Very well done.

Grats, my Veteran run went without any item loot drops (only components) because at some point in the game (probably act 2) i accidentally set the loot filter to Legendary+. I shrugged off the zero item drop rates as a sign of low drop rates. I killed Log at Level 46 with lag and without dying, without pots (Warlock with Sigil, Doom bolt, Calidor’s tempest and Dreeg)

I farmed like crazy and at level 51 now with a different skill set have relatively better gear.

That was my first save, my second save is different story (Commando on Ultimate)

Sorry, got side tracked :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyways, what build did you use?

As for the lore, i recommend 100% exploration, try and find all the notes.

Ops, about Korvaak i was wrong, we fight Archon Barthollem in the tomb, he drops the Desecrated Ashes of Empyrion…

Uroboruuk you will find in East Marsh very close the devotion shrine, there a place with a sacrificial altar where some skeletons spawns, i dont know but i think that he spawns randomly.

The lore about Necropolis i’ve found 2 pieces, one near the blacksmith breaking the jars close to a fence and the other was a little northern from the Tomb of Watchers entrance, there’s closed passage like an alley.

About the Outcast’s god, its a supposition, because Order’s of Death have Uroboruuk as their god, Kymon’s tells you about Empyrion (dont remember if he is their god), and the Outcasts dont make reference to any god, its a little strange that the other 2 “elemental based” factions mentions their gods and the Outcasts dont…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post
Empyrion did the banishing, so no on that point.

On the Korvaak/Chton point, both their circumstances (banished or forgotten) and their motivation (want to go back to/take over the world) are pretty much the same. To me it doesn’t seem so much of a stretch that the same banished god is working on more than one plan to take over the world at the same time. If the chtonians fail (we kill log so they failed for now) there’s always those religious fanatics to try something else.
Interesting point of view. But, if they’re the same entity then why does Uroboruuk’s notes mention Cthonian spawns heading east to investigate the strange energy?

Its another interesting thing, the notes tell us “heading east” but dont tell where is the starting point for this “heading east”, or I’m doing another mistake?
There’s another interesting thing about Uroboruuk’s journal:

In page 1 its write: “somewhere to the Northeast of Burrwitch…”
And then in the page 2 he describes his battles againist Harbingers of chaos, but to the Northeast of Burrwitch there are only ethereal enemies! But if you look to the extreme Northeast, up from the Warden’s Lab portal, there’s clearly a City in the map, near the end of lake! It could be there where’s Uroboruuk fight the harbingers?

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35473

Below first post and the file you need to read is called npc _ outcast orsomthing. (im on my mobile atm)

The battle of uroboruuk took place in Eastmarch i think.

There is also a older thread about Lore theocrafting here: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31740 there i mentioned that Korvaak could be solae’s.

Reminder that Zantai gets a kick out of reading these threads.

That isn’t Uroboruuk, that’s his ‘Guardian’ and only spawns once as part of a quest.

Mogdrogen is not omniscient. He does not know everything. Or, if he does know of Uroboruuk’s existence, perhaps he is protecting the necromancer.

Here’s my question: Why are there two North’s? There’s a North of Burrwitch and a North of the Necropolis. Cardinal North suggests that the Necropolis one is actually North whereas North of Burrwitch should be ocean.

Also:

Edit: Also reminder that there is definitely a significant Aetherial concentration ‘North’ of Burrwitch, potentially larger in scale than that near Fort Ikon/in the Necropolis; Missive to Warden Krieg:

Factor that in to whatever conspiracies you’re making about what Uroboruuk/that contingent of Chthonians were seeking.

What makes you say that? :confused:

Or maybe he’s just plainly arrogant. Maybe he doesn’t appreciate the fact that a group of mortals (Order of Death’s Vigil) chose to worship another mortal (by that i mean a non-deity, we all know Urboruuk is immortal). It probably hurt his ego.

I am curious, what makes you think he is protecting the Necromancer. Also, what makes you think the dude needs protection from?

[quote=“Ceno,post:19,topic:31182”]

Here’s my question: Why are there two North’s? There’s a North of Burrwitch and a North of the Necropolis. Cardinal North suggests that the Necropolis one is actually North whereas North of Burrwitch should be ocean.[/spoiler]

Probably should be answered by the devs. But the “true” North seems to be North of Necropolis (i guess that’s where the capital is/ Aetherial main guy is)

[SPOILER]Don’t pay attention to Edge of Reality, the level was designed by patching together pre-release/alpha/early-access content of the game

I don’t suppose you’d be willing to post a video of clearing Edge of Reality would you? :smiley:
[/spoiler]

Could be the head honcho of Aetherials (the one Lucius was reporting to and the one who instructed Kreig to stop with his torturing of prisoners.

But we have seen that Aetherials have been very strategic. Wouldn’t the best course of action be to make the capital of Cairn their main base? But if the capital is Northeast of Burwitch then you’re right.

But if we factor in the lore from Karroz’s note, then the Aetherials are mere former pawns of Gods. In some note (a cthonian note, can’t remember name) someone says that only one Harbringer (those summoner dudes who most of us guys can clear easily) is enough to take back Wightmire from the Aetherials. And in the note dropped by Lucius, the guy mentions a disturbing presence (Log).
This indicates the Aetherials are no more than fodder in a much bigger plot. They’re clearly inferior to the Cthonians, so it’s unlikely that the reason for the disturbance in the Northeast of Burwitch is being caused by Aetherials. Since, it was enough to disturb Uroboruuk (who hasn’t even bothered mentioning the Aetherials in his notes) and the Cthonians (the ones who were heading east to check on the energy, the ones who Uro fought)