SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

I was still surprised that it turned out that diary was real and she showed up later. When I read it I thought it was just a flavor text about a farmwife writing crazy escapism Fiction where she was an epic adventurer and not stuck on a farm. The story just seemed so absurdly hokey and over the top.

Yeah, but that’s about the only lore entry we have on yugol that I saw, while there’s tons and tons of info on C’thon and the void scattered about.

Hmm, is it me of finally they replaced Mornay’s voice actor? I started listening to his questline with a new character and… he actually sounds good, not like the mechanical line-reader he was before. :slight_smile:

I also just met a Shattered Realm boss who is a harbinger of Yugol - a variation of EkketZul.

The Shattered Realm lore notes also give another perspective on Yugol - from that of a world who banished their god resulting in Yugol coming and consuming that world several centuries later.

In simple terms: Only Primordial gods have the power of creation (taken from Chton) - they are only able to create Stars which on their end hold back Yugol.
A world without a primordial god to keep the lights on so to speak - is consumed by Yugol.

Loosing Korvaaks to the Threes machinations and power hunger just fucked up the defences of Cairns vs Yugol. Since he was the only Primordial god still showing some presence. We are left to believe all his other brothers/sisters are either killed in the War of the Gods or vanished.
The WGs despite syphoning Korvaak`s faith/divine power - dont have the power over creation like him (how he created the Eldritch realm for example).

Perhaps in XP3 the Taken together with Ulgrim go on to find Empyrion (who is probably investigating into how to thwarth Yugol/prevent Chton`s return)?

With the information provided to us so far, who do you think guys will win in an all out war, Aetherials or Chthonians?:undecided: which faction is more powerful?:undecided:

In my view - the Void will win anytime - their numbers seem to be implied are infinite. And from lore perspective Void powers >>>> Aether ones.

Though i really would like to understand what is the difference between the portfolio which Yugol stands for (cosmic power of chaos) vs Chton/Void (which seems very similar).

The void is a hellscape, a place of misery and pain, the antithesis of life. It is where the dying god was cast out when he was torn asunder, never quite capable of fully dying.

Yugol on the other hand is nothingness, the antithesis of existence itself. It has no goal, it simply is; and where it spreads, nothing remains.

Zantai, and what was before the all: Void, Gods, Yugol and etc?

Somebody turned on the great lamp in the sky.

that means somebody’s gonna turn off that lamp at some point. because sleeping in the dark is good for your health.

Appreciate taking the time to reply man, thanks for clarifying!

In lamers terms - Void is GDs Hell. But how does the Void interract with Yugol? Meaning can Yugol take over the Void? Or is the Void like Yugol - always to exists and not susceptible to the Insatiable hungers reach?

the void is about pain and punishment.

yugol is about cold shoulder.

The name’s are off with those names though-- Void implies nothingness by its literal definition, which your description of Yugol is, while your description of void isn’t “void” (Nothingness) but rather “Death/pain”.

On that note, I kind of like to headcanon that the void IS nothingness, but the demons and other hellscapes you encounter are what becomes of matter warped into a state of nothingness-- the Demons being born from C’thon’s Bloodless flesh and the Obsidian hellscapes being parts of reality that were sucked into the void (See how lots of the obsidian areas contain what appear to be human dwellings and objects halfhazardly placed around like they were sucked in indesriminately)

So the void really IS nothingness, but the forces “of the void” that you encounter are essentially matter mutated by exposure to nothingness so that they seek to destroy existence as well now.

You can understand it more symbolically. The Void is what exists outside of the planes of reality, a little bit like the Void of space. It’s a lonely place where living things are dying and must transform to adapt to its rigors, so they became corrupt, surviving in an endless state of suffering.

Yugol does not exist, it’s the opposite of existence, it’s not even outside of Reality, it’s just the absence of reality. It’s not even the Void, because for the Void to exist, matter has to exist. So I see Yugol more akin to anti-matter. You can’t interact with it, it’s just an abstract concept you’re confronted to, and its depiction as some kind of tentacle-monster is the attempts at rationalizing it from a human perspective.

That’s why I don’t think we’ll ever be able to interact with Yugol, because it would just be insta-death for the Taken. Cht’hon is a primordial God, so I could see us interact with him, but Yugol is more a natural phenomenon than a character, imho.

Edit : the world “void” can refer to both significations, that’s why it’s confusing, perhaps purposely from Crate’s writers.

speaking about obsidian… there’s also obsidian stones jutting out from the ground in satyrs, jackals, and tigerman (and similar soldier beasts) encampments in titan quest. there’s no explanation about those obsidian in titan quest, yet its deduceable that those obsidian are typhon’s mean of terrorizing/mind controlling the beast in titan quest. the bloodsworn and void creatures in grim dawn are closely related to the obsidian crystal from the void, just like aetherials are closely related to the aether crystal.

sounds like grim dawn has taken a lot of inspiration from titan quest.

So now that I finally have a character who did NOT ally with Barrowholm (their gear and augments are too good to miss out!) I wanted to ask, whatever happens to Scorv? If you re-visit the village, all the other wendigo cultists you killed before are there, but Scorv isn’t. Also it was strange that he turned into a wraith. We know he made a pact with Ravager, but I guess this means he claimed Scorv’s soul?
And any notes on who Namadea the Screecher is?
I did notice that unlike with Kymon/Death’s Vigil, you encounter the Barrowholm heroes right away without needing to reach Hated.

It’s explained as Typhon’s corruption of the various beasts, but around halfway into the game they kinda forget it. I honestly don’t remember the obsidian appearing after Act I.

It does appear. And it even appear in act 4 and I dare to say it appear more in act 4, so maybe its less Telkien’s stuff and more Hades doing, like he felt th
at gods somehow became weaker and started slowly moving on

Anyway, can someone help me with Grim dawn timeline? So grim dawn striked and then how muc htime game take? As far as I understand, Taken was caught not to long after attack on Burrowich village and it clearly passed several weeks if not months between end of main quest and start of AoM, but is there more correct and concrete details about game timeline?

No clue about the timeline myself. There were some folks trying to figure it out few posts back.

What I find weird is -

1. I can see why aetherials didn’t invade this place as it was Korvaak’s resting place and they knew better than to piss off a Primordial. But how come Korinia and Annie didn’t get any dialogues regarding Korvaak.

2. I get that Korvaak is extremely weak but the Chthonians only sent Ketan’Thunn to kill him. Isn’t that weird? To make matters worse wasn’t even that powerful. You’d think we’d have atleast found a few more Chthonians in that area.

1. Because FG can happen before Malmouth, so it cannot have serious consequences past Act 1.

2. Chtonians reside in the Void and only appear when summoned. They don’t really display any kind of strategy, it’s the cultists that do, and there aren’t any in the Korvaan Bassin (it’s a ruined area, not much blood to be collected I suppose), aside from potentially the ones we spare in Act 5, that then will summon Ketan’Thunn, but he isn’t there to counter Korvaak, it’s just a coincidence.

1. Except Mog is able to sense Korvaak’s defeat. His Avatar in Act VI has some comments about it. Aetherials are also privy to some info that travels through the aether, they should be able to sense the defeat of a Primordial.

2. Uro’s notes mention Chthonians being drawn towards Korvaak’s presence. Ketan’Thunn’s lore note describes he was summoned to blot out the Eldritch Sun himself. You’d think he’d be some Super Boss with such a description and not some random purple boss.

Korvaak himself is no better than a random purple boss these aeons.